The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Funmeister

Aww don't be so hard on my GF. I worked there for a year so I have a bias.

As for the campground rumor, it came from a solid source over drinks last night at the Dolphin. While I do think its a little far fetched the rational behind the discussion was convincing.

If the source is right, they also mentioned a complete bombshell I'm going to sit on for now.

Are you sure the rumor of the campground is not a version of the actual plans to turn a portion of it into a DVC? or the now defunct planned Buffalo Junction? That development has been on and off and on and off for years.

bhg469

I wouldn't call it desperation, I call it finally waking up. Concert venues have been upcharging for premium viewing for years, some of us remember when a ticket was general admission and if you wanted a great seat you had to dedicate a night or two to make sure you were one of the first in line. Flash forward a few years, now the center section and close sides are all premium priced, some include backstage access for even more $$$. Will someone explain how this is any different than that?

This was even tried at SW-EpI at a local theater due to very long lines and the demand for the best seat on opening night, tried and true method to get a few more $$$ from customers willing to pay for premium access.
One of my clients actually started charging $5 to formerly free showa to keep people away. And the reserved sections were established at the same time.

It all worked as planned, they still sell out but it's no longer unmanageable and people who spend more get better seats.

WDF

Does any of this "premiere viewing area" stuff do anything to make it a little more open in the "non-premiere" viewing areas?

Not if Star Wars Weekends are the basis for comparison. The premium area really isn't that large, and it is just part of the same general area that used to be open for everyone, i.e. not like Tomorrowland Terrace at MK for fireworks viewing, but more like the FP+ parade viewing area that just takes up part of the hub. The non-premium areas during SWW were still jammed with people like always.

PrincessNelly_NJ

If FW goes away and is not replaced by a new and improved campground I think it means the mouse has given up on trying to attract customers who are not financially well off. Surely they do not want that kind of a public relations spotlight shining on them.

I am calling shenanigans on the rumor anyway. Fort Wilderness is a WDW original and fundamental to the aesthetics of the resort.
I think that was clear when value resorts started hitting more than $120 a night!

no, that's really more urban myth than anything. the death knell of river country was 9/11, if i'm to understand multiple insiders' reports correctly.

From what I understand, due to a few cases reported of people being infected by an amoeba that can live in shallow, low current water, Florida passed a law that said if you were a for profit business operating a swimming facility, you needed to use chlorinated pools. I do believe this is why you can't swim in the lakes at the hotels anymore. As for River Country, the law probably applied since it used water from the lake. Though I have heard that the 9/11 downturn also contributed.

PhotoDave219

If FW goes away and is not replaced by a new and improved campground I think it means the mouse has given up on trying to attract customers who are not financially well off. Surely they do not want that kind of a public relations spotlight shining on them.

I am calling shenanigans on the rumor anyway. Fort Wilderness is a WDW original and fundamental to the aesthetics of the resort.

Yes well I agree with you as to whether it will happen. Shenanigans indeed.

However since when did current management in Glendale care about fundamental aesthetics of the Walt Disney World resort.

Phil12

From what I understand, due to a few cases reported of people being infected by an amoeba that can live in shallow, low current water, Florida passed a law that said if you were a for profit business operating a swimming facility, you needed to use chlorinated pools. I do believe this is why you can't swim in the lakes at the hotels anymore. As for River Country, the law probably applied since it used water from the lake. Though I have heard that the 9/11 downturn also contributed.
That brain eating amoeba might also explain the Disney lifestyler phenom.

PhotoDave219

So in an effort to bring this thread back to some sort of "on-topic" issue, two questions:
1. What can we expect from the Frozen fireworks show? Length, music? I'm assuming (hoping) they'll be using more than just Frozen songs and score, right?
2. Anyone with any inside info predicting an announcement of substance from Disney soonish? How long 'till those crowds and lines at UNIversal finally spook them or will they even?

1 - ask Bungalow. For reference, SWW was six minutes long. I have not reached out to my entertainment people because I can wait a few days.

2- lots of smoke because it's budget season. Nothing that says "kid at Christmas"....

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I wouldn't call it desperation, I call it finally waking up. Concert venues have been upcharging for premium viewing for years, some of us remember when a ticket was general admission and if you wanted a great seat you had to dedicate a night or two to make sure you were one of the first in line. Flash forward a few years, now the center section and close sides are all premium priced, some include backstage access for even more $$$. Will someone explain how this is any different than that?

This was even tried at SW-EpI at a local theater due to very long lines and the demand for the best seat on opening night, tried and true method to get a few more $$$ from customers willing to pay for premium access.
I use the term "desperate" only in the sense that we have seen a slue of upcharge events over the last few months. Combine that with the need to show ANY type of profit stemming from MM+ and it seems to make more sense than Disney suddenly realizing they could charge for eating and drinking after hours or to have a preferred seat at a show. Im sure these ideas have been tossed around for years, if not longer, and they never actually needed them or wanted to devalue the cost of premium seating for events that truly require it. If people will pay for the premium, I dont blame Disney for doing it, but at what point do they stop? Will they charge more to sit at the front of Expedition Everest, or RnR? Maybe they will start charging for preferred tables at Chef Mickeys, or BoG. Who knows. I think its not a coincidence that we are seeing all these attempts to charge for any and everything, especially with Iger and Rasullo (and whoever else) looking at facing tough questions from the BoD very soon.

ABQ

Aww don't be so hard on my GF. I worked there for a year so I have a bias.

As for the campground rumor, it came from a solid source over drinks last night at the Dolphin. While I do think its a little far fetched the rational behind the discussion was convincing.

If the source is right, they also mentioned a complete bombshell I'm going to sit on for now.
Though I'd be sad to see anything change at the campground, I'd be absolutely FURIOUS if anything at all changes with regards to Pioneer Hall and the Hoop dee Doo Musical Revue. I'll be there with a pitchfork and torch!

seascape

I use the term "desperate" only in the sense that we have seen a slue of upcharge events over the last few months. Combine that with the need to show ANY type of profit stemming from MM+ and it seems to make more sense than Disney suddenly realizing they could charge for eating and drinking after hours or to have a preferred seat at a show. Im sure these ideas have been tossed around for years, if not longer, and they never actually needed them or wanted to devalue the cost of premium seating for events that truly require it. If people will pay for the premium, I dont blame Disney for doing it, but at what point do they stop? Will they charge more to sit at the front of Expedition Everest, or RnR? Maybe they will start charging for preferred tables at Chef Mickeys, or BoG. Who knows. I think its not a coincidence that we are seeing all these attempts to charge for any and everything, especially with Iger and Rasullo (and whoever else) looking at facing tough questions from the BoD very soon.
I agree they seem to be going overboard on the up charges. I can understand some but it seems like every fireworks show has one. They will probably have one for Rivers of Light. I complain about Universals front of line plan because it is unfair but Disney is doing it with all these extra fees. I don't like it. The problem is when 2014 attendance comes out both Universal and Disney are going to see big increases. If this continues you will see more and more offerings like this for the well off and the rest of the customers will wait in longer lines. As some people have said they don't want to see what looks like is next and that is an extra fee for more fast passes. This is the wrong way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom