The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Sir_Cliff

Well Colombia has money for one the sources of which are better not discussed but to Disney all money is good money once it gets into the rodent's paws. I remember Scrooge McDuck as a caricature growing up, Never dreamed he would be the guiding spirit of TWDC...
It's very ignorant if not worse to imply that the Colombian economy is built around the drug trade. The country would make some sense for Disney if it was looking for a location in Latin America for a theme park as the country has a big population, has been the fastest growing economy in Latin America in recent years, and seems set to boom now that the civil war is ending. Tourism is growing steadily with significant government support and the government is also investing heavily in infrastructure including recent massive upgrades to the Bogotá airport. People there also seem far more pro-American than in other parts of Latin America. I have the feeling a lot of Mexicans or Argentines, for example, would freak out if Disney tried to build a theme park in those countries, whereas I think Colombians in general would love it.

That said, I'm very confident there will be no Disneyland going up in Girardot, Colombia anytime soon! That location would make sense on paper as it's somewhat between the major population centres of Bogotá, Cali, the Eje Cafetero region, and Medellín. In reality, however, Girardot is a small town in a valley which would mean negotiating twisting roads through high mountain ranges to get to it from most directions. So, yeah, I'm sure it's BS.

Perhaps outside of Brazil or Mexico, I think Latin America in general is just too economically unstable and lacks the kind of infrastructure needed for a full-scale Disney park/resort anyway.

Wikkler

It's very ignorant if not worse to imply that the Colombian economy is built around the drug trade. The country would make some sense for Disney if it was looking for a location in Latin America for a theme park as the country has a big population, has been the fastest growing economy in Latin America in recent years, and seems set to boom now that the civil war is ending. Tourism is growing steadily with significant government support and the government is also investing heavily in infrastructure including recent massive upgrades to the Bogotá airport. People there also seem far more pro-American than in other parts of Latin America. I have the feeling a lot of Mexicans or Argentines, for example, would freak out if Disney tried to build a theme park in those countries, whereas I think Colombians in general would love it.

That said, I'm very confident there will be no Disneyland going up in Girardot, Colombia anytime soon! That location would make sense on paper as it's somewhat between the major population centres of Bogotá, Cali, the Eje Cafetero region, and Medellín. In reality, however, Girardot is a small town in a valley which would mean negotiating twisting roads through high mountain ranges to get to it from most directions. So, yeah, I'm sure it's BS.

Perhaps outside of Brazil or Mexico, I think Latin America in general is just too economically unstable and lacks the kind of infrastructure needed for a full-scale Disney park/resort anyway.
Argentina would be good but there's too many Disney parks already IMO.

PhotoDave219

Despite the talk, I still wonder why they want to make her LGBQT.
As I had mentioned before.
She just didnt show any interest. She was more busy trying to deal with her powers in secret in fear of hurting someone or getting chastised.
Hardly anything to do with her sexual interests.
I wonder if there are some groups of fangirls debating her sexual interests just because she didnt fall for Han's "charm".

As someone who browses social sites where fan stuff is posted. It sometimes gets very creepy on how some people ultra dig and try to dictate what a fictional character is and could do.

I believe it has more to do with selfish desires from the fans.

the.dreamfinder

The weatherman met with Chinese President Xi Xinping.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-chairman-bob-iger-meets-891287
image.jpeg

"What The Walt Disney Company has been able to achieve in China, I think, is a perfect example of cooperation, but it also came after years of understanding, years of building up a deep respect for one another and appreciation for each other’s interests.”
Sure thing Bob

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I got curious a did a little googling. Universal: run by people with years of hospitality experience, going through a renaissance. WDW: run by people who only know what a spreadsheet is, being sucked dry. What's up with this?

It's what Walt warned about in the 1950's that the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' will destroy a business if allowed to run it. They have a place in the back room counting the beans produced by others not actually being allowed to run the company basically because they only see the 'cost' side of the ledger not the VALUE that that item brings to the business as a whole.

tribbleorlfl

Elsa was metaphorically shoved into the closet and told who she was wasn't right. Then she had her big coming out moment with Let it go which lets put it this way was a very flamboyant manner which probably attracted a huge subsection of the LGBT community.

I think that's the big reason for this push more so than anything
Excellent point. It's a testament to the strong story and character development that Frozen clicked with so many different demographic groups and that people identified so readily with Elsa's struggles.

Everyone looks at art differently and through the filter of their own perspectives and experiences, so I'm not surprised that the LGBT community sees themselves in Elsa. When I was in Middle School, I was relentlessly tormented for being a socially-awkward, quiet, smart geek. I was different than everyone else, and that made me a target. "Let it Go" really resonated with me because instead of changing myself to fit others' expectations, I decided to be happy and fully embraced my nerd-hood.

While I personally wouldn't have a problem if Elsa turned out to be a Lesbian, I hope that they don't. I think it would be a detriment to the character to force her into a romantic relationship, man or woman. I want to see more development of her sisterly bond with Anna, not spending the movie hoping Elsa hooks up with someone.

tribbleorlfl

It's what Walt warned about in the 1950's that the 'Sharp Pencil Boys' will destroy a business if allowed to run it. They have a place in the back room counting the beans produced by others not actually being allowed to run the company basically because they only see the 'cost' side of the ledger not the VALUE that that item brings to the business as a whole.
Conversely, creatives can easily bankrupt a company if given free reign of the checkbook.

Truly successful companies find the right balance of innovation and fiscal discipline.

Goofyernmost

Excellent point. It's a testament to the strong story and character development that Frozen clicked with so many different demographic groups and that people identified so readily with Elsa's struggles.

Everyone looks at art differently and through the filter of their own perspectives and experiences, so I'm not surprised that the LGBT community sees themselves in Elsa. When I was in Middle School, I was relentlessly tormented for being a socially-awkward, quiet, smart geek. I was different than everyone else, and that made me a target. "Let it Go" really resonated with me because instead of changing myself to fit others' expectations, I decided to be happy and fully embraced my nerd-hood.

While I personally wouldn't have a problem if Elsa turned out to be a Lesbian, I hope that they don't. I think it would be a detriment to the character to force her into a romantic relationship, man or woman. I want to see more development of her sisterly bond with Anna, not spending the movie hoping Elsa hooks up with someone.
There also is a thing known as a-sexual. Not everything has to be one thing or the other. Besides in order to be a lesbian doesn't one still need a partner? Why is that concept necessary to the story at all and wouldn't it also be detrimental to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom