The Spirited 11th Hour ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yup. The 11th hour can refer to many things. In this case, it refers to Bob Weis and his new title and how one can go from potential goat (on the barbie) to potential savior in short order ... at the 11th hour.

First, some facts. Bob 'Chappie' Chapek, recently installed as Disney's global head of Parks and Resorts because apparently he is very adept at selling Thor toys, Star Wars tees and plush Olafs and that is as good a reason as any, came in and wanted to -- as all execs today do -- make his mark on his division quickly and show that he meant business.

In multiple meetings and conversations, Chappie (sorry, to that special O-Town fanboi who keeps telling me that since Bob's name is pronounced CHAY-PEK that I can't call him Chappie, you have no idea how BRANDING works, my young friend!) made it known that he wasn't happy with the way WDI conducted business (is anyone?) and his mantra would be ''We will build quicker and cheaper'' and then he brought in a few fresh faces, like new DCA/DD VP Christie Fleischer who has never worked in theme parks or hospitality in her life because again that is how these companies operate.

In the meantime, Pandora was shooting over its budget in the swamps, the HK SAR leadership was telling Disney that 'No, we don't want another Buzz Lightyear attraction in our park' and a mess in Shanghai was causing delays in projects around the globe as Disney feverishly sent in reinforcements (I truly wish I could show you some of the photos I have received just in the last month if you think that SDL is ready to roll, despite announcing an opening date).

That brings us to last week's reorganization on Flower Street in which, for the first time this century, a true creative in Bob Weis will run the MAGIC Factory, with former co-head Craig Russell acting as his budget guy to carry out Chappie's mandate. Loveable Brucie Vaughn already has left the building and very likely will wind up with another major company as soon as he is legally allowed to per the terms of his employment agreement with TWDC.

There are two ways of looking at the hows and the whys of how Bob Weis came to be where he is sitting now. A far higher perch than could have been imagined for the same guy (lead designer of The Disney-MGM Studios among many project) who was sent off as fall guy in the mid-90s after he told reporters about Disney's America park (that he also was top designer on) would, among other historical things, let you experience what slaves did leading up to the Civil War. It is a position no one, likely including Bob himself, would have predicted when he returned to the company in 2007 to recreate/reboot DCA (which really has always been a mix of the Studios park and concepts from the America concept).

One, is the simpleton answer. The Ozzie and Sharon Amazing Back Hair Razor would say Bob Weis has been elevated to this position for being a good soldier and not only fixing DCA, but, much more importantly, getting Shanghai Disneyland built and ready (sorry, I am still ROTFLMFAO as the kewl kidz used to say back in 2002!) to debut. He is simply being rewarded for a job well done.

What the most obvious 'answer' fails to take into consideration is that Disney isn't exactly warmhearted when it comes to creatives who toil at 1401. Disney doesn't reward them. This isn't George Kalogridis getting a chance to end his career as head of WDW because he has always known when to live up to Disney's old standards and when to shred them to make the bottom hum.

Another possibility goes something like this: Weis having lived the Shanghai mess since construction began in 2011 had a feeling that he was about to get scapegoated yet again, something that always seems to happen with creatives. Bob also knew where each and every body was buried on this project. Maybe someone talked to him about writing a book? Maybe a few reporters contacted him about the 'challenges' of building in the mainland (hey, did y'all hear about those Hong Kong booksellers who disappeared months ago and now are in China and confessing to all sorts of crimes that they did not commit? ... that's part of the reality of dealing with life under Commie rule...)?

Anyway, maybe Bob just had a nice sit-down with The Weatherman (Bob Iger for those of you who have forgotten the players in my extended absence) or Tom Staggs (the ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'') and explained how much he'd like a chance to run WDI given all he had done and since he was more than happy to work within Chappie's edict, they decided ''Just why the hell not!?!''

Now, I certainly have a bit more than what I am putting out at this time. But what makes sense to you? I don't have all the facts. But I do have quite a few and I have some very knowledgable opinions that have been given to me. I have a very good idea of what went down.

Anyway, not looking to start another 1500 page thread. But I didn't want to have to wade through pages of posts about network TV dying (it's not and @flynnibus you are wasting your breath and I do owe you a note back ... it's coming), how super-awesome-amazing TFA's box office is or which Lifestyler was arrested this week chatter. So, at the 11th hour you get a new Spirited thread to play on.

BTW, I don't want to sound down on these moves at all. Vaughn getting thrown out and replaced by Weis is a fundamentally solid move that could be a great one IF they allow him to do the job they placed him in. I also have no issue's at all with Chappie wanting a 'faster and cheaper' WDI. I can't see how any fan would have issues with that at all. These are good moves.

But again, that is dependent on leaving Weis alone (Mangum getting more responsibility is also a good thing). It also means that Chappie needs to think about all those consumers who he sold all that crap to when he ran CP. Miceage ran an update today talking about how he and DLR Prez Michael Colglazier had nixed moving walkways and a sky bridge as part of DLR's new parking structure. That kind of minor league BS needs to be stopped. At the same point, they are quite accurate that SW is being pushed for a late 2018 debut. You may have also noted the comment about future Fantasyland plans as I have told you Toontown got a reprieve, but that is all it is.

Those are my thoughts. Yours?

Last edited:

dizneycrazy09

Yup. The 11th hour can refer to many things. In this case, it refers to Bob Weis and his new title and how one can go from potential goat (on the barbie) to potential savior in short order ... at the 11th hour.

First, some facts. Bob 'Chappie' Chapek, recently installed as Disney's global head of Parks and Resorts because apparently he is very adept at selling Thor toys, Star Wars tees and plush Olafs and that is as good a reason as any, came in and wanted to -- as all execs today do -- make his mark on his division quickly and show that he meant business.

In multiple meetings and conversations, Chappie (sorry, O-Town fanboi who keeps telling me that since Bob's name is pronounced CHAY-PEK that I can't call him Chappie, you have no idea how BRANDING works, my young friend!) made it known that he wasn't happy with the way WDI conducted business (is anyone?) and his mantra would be ''We will build quicker and cheaper'' and then he brought in a few fresh faces, like new DCA/DD VP Christie Fleischer who has never worked in theme parks or hospitality in her life because again that is how these companies operate.

In the meantime, Pandora was shooting over its budget in the swamps, the HK SAR leadership was telling Disney that 'No, we don't want another Buzz Lightyear attraction in our park' and a mess in Shanghai was causing delays in projects around the globe as Disney feverishly sent in reinforcements (I truly wish I could show you some of the photos I have received just in the last month if you think that SDL is ready to roll, despite announcing an opening date).

That brings us to last week's reorganization on Flower Street in which, for the first time this century, a true creative in Bob Weis will run the MAGIC Factory, with former co-head Craig Russell acting as his budget guy to carry out Crappie's mandate. Loveable Brucie Vaughn already has left the building and very likely will wind up with a major company as soon as he is legally allowed to per the terms of his employment agreement with TWDC.

Now, there are two ways of looking at the hows and the whys of how Bob Weis came to be where he is sitting now. A far higher perch than could have been imagined for the same guy (lead designer of The Disney-MGM Studios among many project) who was sent off as fall guy in the mid-90s after he told reporters about Disney's America park (that he also was top designer on) would, among other historical things, make you experience what slaves did leading up to the Civil War. It is a position no one, likely including Bob himself, would have predicted when he returned to the company in 2007 to recreate DCA (which really has always been a mix of the Studios park and concepts from the America concept).

One, is the simpleton answer. The Ozzie and Sharon Amazing Back Hair Razor would say Bob Weis has been elevated to this position for being a good soldier and not only fixing DCA, but, much more importantly, getting Shanghai Disneyland built and ready (sorry, I am still ROTFLMFAO as the kewl kidz used to say back in 2002!) to debut. He is simply being rewarded for a job well done.

What the most obvious 'answer' fails to take into consideration is that Disney isn't exactly warmhearted when it comes to creatives who toil at 1401. Disney doesn't reward them. This isn't George Kalogridis getting a chance to end his career as head of WDW because he has always known when to live up to Disney's old standards and when to shred them to make the bottom hum.

Another possibility goes something like this: Weis having lived the Shanghai mess since construction began in 2011 had a feeling that he was about to get scapegoated yet again, something that always seems to happen with creatives. Bob also knew where each and every body was buried on this project. Maybe someone talked to him about writing a book? Maybe a few reporters contacted him about the 'challenges' of building in the mainland (hey, did y'all hear about those Hong Kong booksellers who disappeared months ago and now are in China and confessing to all sorts of crimes that they did not commit? ... that's part of the reality of dealing with life under Commie rule.)

Anyway, maybe Bob just had a nice sit-down with The Weatherman (Bob Iger for those of you who have forgotten the players in my extended absence) or Tom Staggs (the ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'') and explained how much he'd like a chance to run WDI given all he had done and since he was more than happy to work within Chappie's edict, they decided ''Just why the hell not!?!''

Now, I certainly have a bit more than what I am putting out at this time. But what makes sense to you? I don't have all the facts. But I do have quite a few and I have some very knowledgable opinions that have been given to me. I have a very good idea of what went down.

Anyway, not looking to start another 1500 page thread. But I didn't want to have to wade through pages of posts about network TV dying (it's not and @flynnibus you are wasting your breath and I do owe you a note back ... it's coming), how super-awesome-amazing TFA's box office is or which Lifestyler was arrested this week chatter. So, at the 11th hour you get a new Spirited thread to play on.

BTW, I don't want to sound down on these moves at all. Vaughn getting thrown out and replaced by Weis is a fundamentally solid move that could be a great one IF they allow him to do the job they placed him in. I also have no issue's at all with Chappie wanting a 'faster and cheaper' WDI. I can't see how any fan would have issues with that at all. These are good moves.

But again, that is dependent on leaving Weis alone (Mangum getting more responsibility is also a good thing). It also means that Chappie needs to think about all those consumers who he sold all that crap to when he ran CP. Miceage ran an update today talking about how he and DLR Prez Michael Colglazier had nixed moving walkways and a sky bridge as part of DLR's new parking structure. That kind of minor league BS needs to be nixed. At the same point, they are quite accurate that SW is being pushed for a late 2018 debut. You may have also noted the comment about future Fantasyland plans as I have told you Toontown got a reprieve, but that is all it is.

Does his new position indicate that WDI is going to be busy over the new few years revamping parks. especially in the swamps?

I sure hope so...

ULPO46

:jawdrop: My Lord! It's what I've been trying to say for the past year now. Not to mention it's a reason why so many Imagineers are heading over to the Studio of Universal to take their talents where they are appreciated. It's a shame what the shareholders have allowed to become of a once giant company in family values.

P_Radden

@WDW1974 I'm interested on what effect this shake-up at WDI will have on WDW in terms of projects in the works and the 50th anniversary coming up. On a different note, do you have any thoughts on Iger being a nominee for Apple Inc Board of Directors?

SirLink

But again, that is dependent on leaving Weis alone (Mangum getting more responsibility is also a good thing). It also means that Chappie needs to think about all those consumers who he sold all that crap to when he ran CP. Miceage ran an update today talking about how he and DLR Prez Michael Colglazier had nixed moving walkways and a sky bridge as part of DLR's new parking structure. That kind of minor league BS needs to be nixed. At the same point, they are quite accurate that SW is being pushed for a late 2018 debut. You may have also noted the comment about future Fantasyland plans as I have told you Toontown got a reprieve, but that is all it is.

So are you saying MiceAge needs to stop the minor league BS or that Lex needs stop the minor league BS?

TP2000

My thoughts are... welcome back! This will be a fun thread.

Regarding today's Miceage ramble... I've walked from Mickey & Friends to Disneyland, a slightly shorter distance from Pumbaa Lot to Disneyland. If Chapek and Colglazier cut the moving sidewalks out of the budget for the new parking structure, they deserve whatever scorn the Internet can dish up.

That type of executive decision can serve as a really good warning flag for projects on both coasts. It's not just a Disneyland thing, it's a canary in the coal mine for WDW too.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Does his new position indicate that WDI is going to be busy over the new few years revamping parks. especially in the swamps?

I sure hope so...

That goes without saying.

I get why people visit the MK. Even with crappy show quality and stale entertainment, the park has lots to see and do. I get why people visit DAK as it's beautiful and lush and they continually are adding and improving it.

But I honestly can't get why people visit the corpses of EPCOT Center and The Disney-MGM Studios. In the latter case I can honestly say there is far more to see and more quality at the WDSP -- the worst park Disney has ever built.

Studios will be a totally different place come 2020. EPCOT ... not so sure about because it works as the world's largest bar and food court.

gonzoWDW

My thoughts are... welcome back! This will be a fun thread.

Regarding today's Miceage ramble... I've walked from Mickey & Friends to Disneyland, a slightly shorter distance from Pumbaa Lot to Disneyland. If Chapek and Colglazier cut the moving sidewalks out of the budget for the new parking structure, they deserve whatever scorn the Internet can dish up.

That type of executive decision that can also serve as a really good warning flag for projects on both coasts. It's not just a Disneyland thing, it's a canary in the coal mine for WDW too.

Thing about that is, they can get away with it. The general public doesn't frequent forums like this, and will likely never know how the budget and features on a particular project were cut.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the update. Are they pushing this point at DL only, or at DHS as well?

Chappie wants things done quicker in O-Town as well. But there are more difficulties in the swamps because they are rebuilding 75% of a park while it is open, including new parking structures. I see no way it is ready by that time in FL. I think it still is a 2020 type of deal ... but that is opinion.

dizneycrazy09

That goes without saying.

I get why people visit the MK. Even with crappy show quality and stale entertainment, the park has lots to see and do. I get why people visit DAK as it's beautiful and lush and they continually are adding and improving it.

But I honestly can't get why people visit the corpses of EPCOT Center and The Disney-MGM Studios. In the latter case I can honestly say there is far more to see and more quality at the WDSP -- the worst park Disney has ever built.

Studios will be a totally different place come 2020. EPCOT ... not so sure about because it works as the world's largest bar and food court.

EPCOT is less than a shell of its former self. Such a shame. I hope that Weis can help it reclaim its identity.

Btw...thanks for all of the info! This thread will be at 1500 pages in no time ;-p

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 I'm interested on what effect this shake-up at WDI will have on WDW in terms of projects in the works and the 50th anniversary coming up. On a different note, do you have any thoughts on Iger being a nominee for Apple Inc Board of Directors?

Too soon to say. And I have no thoughts on Bob and Apple. I am glad his bid to be an NFL part owner fell apart (but I also don't want to have a long conversation on it or on ESPN being in trouble -- it isn't!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom