The Spirited 11th Hour ...

MerlinTheGoat

Never heard of Flintheart Glomgold But even the name sounds right please tell us more!
Flintheart Glomgold is another elderly duck character created by Carl Barks in the 1950's for Disney comics. He is also a frequent character from the DuckTales TV series. He's basically an antagonistic rival to Scrooge McDuck, sharing his greedy traits to an even more blatant degree. Though unlike Scrooge, Glomgold is fully without morals. Scrooge is a tightwad, but he makes his money legitimately and isn't without compassion or generosity. Glomgold stoops to criminal activities to grow his fortune.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintheart_Glomgold

BTW this is not referring to the Christmas Carol version of Scrooge in case that is the only exposure people have had to Scrooge. In fact, Flintheart Glomgold is kind of similar to the Christmas Carol version of Scrooge (before being reformed by the three spirits).

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Flintheart Glomgold is another elderly duck character created by Carl Barks in the 1950's for Disney comics. He is also a frequent character from the DuckTales TV series. He's basically an antagonistic rival to Scrooge McDuck, sharing his greedy traits to an even more blatant degree. Though unlike Scrooge who is capable of compassion and generosity, Glomgold is fully without morals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintheart_Glomgold

Thanks! From the description he is much more in tune with Disney operations as Scrooge does have a concience. As I've said before I've never really been a graphic novel fan.

FigmentJedi

Thanks! From the description he is much more in tune with Disney operations as Scrooge does have a concience. As I've said before I've never really been a graphic novel fan.
Fantagraphics has been reprinting much of the Carl Barks and Don Rosa ducks material. Very good stuff. The second half of Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck comes out later this month I think. If there's one duck comic that's worth adapting to a feature film, it's that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Only problem is, these same kind of excuses are used to discriminate.
Like how theres ultra creepy heterosexual guys/girls dressing on purpose to sneak into female bathrooms or male bathrooms to cause disgust. All to push for the "law" barring trans people from using the bathrooms of their respective transition sex.

Having been a Dean in a university town unfortunately those "ultra creepy hetero's" are not the figments of a fulsome imagination rather something you see every day, The problem is how do you protect the rights of the LGBT community while protecting the community from the creeps. I don't have an answer for that. Individual unisex bathrooms are one way to do it and it's the way many Silicon Valley companies deal with the issue. But how do you do that in a communal space????

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fantagraphics has been reprinting much of the Carl Barks and Don Rosa ducks material. Very good stuff. The second half of Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck comes out later this month I think. If there's one duck comic that's worth adapting to a feature film, it's that.

Thanks! - I will look into that as that's one branch of Disney I've never really explored.

MerlinTheGoat

I didn't grow up reading the comics myself, but I did grow up with the cartoon series DuckTales. So that's where I know these characters from the most.

Incidentally, DuckTales is a fantastic cartoon for anyone who never watched it (it was a part of those 80's and 90's Disney Afternoon fare including others like TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop etc all of which were also great). While I understand some adults might be turned off watching a Disney cartoon TV series, I actually recommend checking it out. I admit that it still holds up and is STILL entertaining to watch today. It's the former half of Eisner's reign at it's best, high quality and great fun.

They're reviving a new DuckTales series next year, one hopes there's some quality left to be had for it.

FigmentJedi

I didn't grow up reading the comics myself, but I did grow up with the cartoon series DuckTales. So that's where I know these characters from the most.

Incidentally, DuckTales is a fantastic cartoon for anyone who have never watched it (it was a part of those 80's and 90's Disney Afternoon fare including others like TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop etc). While I understand some adults might be turned off watching a Disney cartoon, if you can get past that I actually recommend checking it out. I admit that it still holds up and is STILL entertaining to watch today.

They're reviving a new DuckTales series next year, one hopes there's some quality left to be had for it.
I'm pretty optimistic about it. That first image they released is looking to make it even more of a throwback to Carl Barks' comics with Donald becoming a main character again.
ducktales.jpg

Cesar R M

I don't think they should make Elsa queer. Right now, Elsa is relatable and a role model to a bunch of kids. I think she's someone to look up to for all children who have something "different" about them that may be looked down upon by society. I think she's a great role model for LGBQT+ kids, but I do feel like making her queer would take away something from other kids. I don't think Elsa was intended to be necessarily queer, but intended to be a character who is marginalized by society, a character that LGBQT+ kids as well as other kids can look up to. I think that Disney specifically made Elsa's difference something that's not humanely possible so that she could be a broad role model, as opposed to a specific one.

I do think that Disney should come up with a queer character, I just don't think it should be Elsa.
Despite the talk, I still wonder why they want to make her LGBQT.
As I had mentioned before.
She just didnt show any interest. She was more busy trying to deal with her powers in secret in fear of hurting someone or getting chastised.
Hardly anything to do with her sexual interests.
I wonder if there are some groups of fangirls debating her sexual interests just because she didnt fall for Han's "charm".

As someone who browses social sites where fan stuff is posted. It sometimes gets very creepy on how some people ultra dig and try to dictate what a fictional character is and could do.

Cesar R M

Incidentally, DuckTales is a fantastic cartoon for anyone who never watched it (it was a part of those 80's and 90's Disney Afternoon fare including others like TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop etc all of which were also great). While I understand some adults might be turned off watching a Disney cartoon TV series, I actually recommend checking it out. I admit that it still holds up and is STILL entertaining to watch today. It's the former half of Eisner's reign at it's best, high quality and great fun.

The best part of these series is.. they had incredible quality in both animation and voice work.
Story wise they were ok to good as well.
Now everything seems oversimplistic or rehused to save costs.
I hope too that the new ducktales keeps the bar high.

BTW, i'll just leave this here-

You know the Triple Dent Gum song gag from Inside Out? Well this was what us 80's and 90's kids had stuck in our heads. :p

This darn song has always been in the top 10most addictive and most recognizable theme songs of all cartoon series.
Funnily.. the song sounds a lot like a Hall and Oates song.

Quinnmac000

Despite the talk, I still wonder why they want to make her LGBQT.
As I had mentioned before.
She just didnt show any interest. She was more busy trying to deal with her powers in secret in fear of hurting someone or getting chastised.
Hardly anything to do with her sexual interests.
I wonder if there are some groups of fangirls debating her sexual interests just because she didnt fall for Han's "charm".

As someone who browses social sites where fan stuff is posted. It sometimes gets very creepy on how some people ultra dig and try to dictate what a fictional character is and could do.

Elsa was metaphorically shoved into the closet and told who she was wasn't right. Then she had her big coming out moment with Let it go which lets put it this way was a very flamboyant manner which probably attracted a huge subsection of the LGBT community.

I think that's the big reason for this push more so than anything

Wikkler

Why is Elsa's solitary nature indicative of LGBT?, Elsa is well aware of the damage her power is capable of and is unwilling to hurt anyone else so she chooses to isolate herself.

From the famous quote from Sigmund Freud 'Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar'
"Sometimes a cigar is just weiner envy."
"Sometimes a cigar is just your mother."
Having been a Dean in a university town unfortunately those "ultra creepy hetero's" are not the figments of a fulsome imagination rather something you see every day, The problem is how do you protect the rights of the LGBT community while protecting the community from the creeps. I don't have an answer for that. Individual unisex bathrooms are one way to do it and it's the way many Silicon Valley companies deal with the issue. But how do you do that in a communal space????
"Family" bathrooms. Those massive ones with both urinals and tampon dispensers.
Woo-hoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom