The Spirited 11th Hour ...

TeriofTerror

Which is what I was saying, if you are not in a relationship with either gender and show no interest in being in one, then a-sexual is the definition. Just because one might find an admiration for the qualities of that individual does not mean that you can claim them for your camp unless they give you a reason too. What is silly about this discussion is that we are talking about imaginary/cartoon characters that can only be what the artist draws them of describes them as. They aren't real, how can we put specific human emotions on them especially when it has nothing to do with the story.
I've been trying so hard to refrain from commenting, because I know I can be militant about gay rights. However, I really feel as though I must weigh in on this point. Asexual means you have no interest in sex with either gender. That's completely different than refraining from indicating your sexual preference/interest in someone due to fear of reaction, reprisals, revulsion, or rejection.
And since I've gone this far, I'm going to say that Elsa's sexual orientation is whatever her creators decide it is.
And pushing sexual identification on five-year-olds? I knew mine at 5. You should see all of the books on which I scrawled "I love Jason" at that age. And to bring this story full circle, the Jason in question finally came out ( in the face of full-out persecution from conservative family and friends) about 10 years ago.

Wikkler

I've been trying so hard to refrain from commenting, because I know I can be militant about gay rights. However, I really feel as though I must weigh in on this point. Asexual means you have no interest in sex with either gender. That's completely different than refraining from indicating your sexual preference/interest in someone due to fear of reaction, reprisals, revulsion, or rejection.
And since I've gone this far, I'm going to say that Elsa's sexual orientation is whatever her creators decide it is.
And pushing sexual identification on five-year-olds? I knew mine at 5. You should see all of the books on which I scrawled "I love Jason" at that age. And to bring this story full circle, the Jason in question finally came out ( in the face of full-out persecution from conservative family and friends) about 10 years ago.
It's easier to just assume every character is asexual unless it's an adult cartoon and sex is explicitly mentioned.
Romance and sexual attraction are two different things, which is what a lot of people don't seem to understand. There's this thing called asexual heteroromantic and that's the term I would use to describe most cartoon characters. There's also asexual homoromantic and asexual biromantic, and of course asexual aromantic.

TeriofTerror

It's easier to just assume every character is asexual unless it's an adult cartoon and sex is explicitly mentioned.
Romance and sexual attraction are two different things. There's this thing called "asexual hetero-romantic" and that's the term I would use to describe most cartoon characters.
Fair point. I should've mentioned I was explicitly referencing Dumbledore, who has been definitively identified as gay.

Goofyernmost

The key thing that you said was "Elsa's sexual orientation is whatever her creators decide it is" and I agree. But they didn't and there is nothing about sexual orientation that has any significance to the story. So, in this case, it's asexual and has no reason to be anything else. What she would do or what she would want to do in the bedroom or as far as a relationship is concerned has no reason to be addressed. Would we all be hoping that some frigid (reference to Frozen) man or woman show up to ease her loneliness?

The same thing applies to real life situations. If I'm hiring someone for a job what possible difference should it make what their sexual preference is. I'm probably not in the market so why do I have to know. As a hetero, I don't go into detail about what my wife and I might do behind closed doors when dealing within a business relationship, so why is everyone so compelled to make everyone aware of a different life style. It should be unimportant. I'm not saying to hide in a closet, I'm saying that it shouldn't matter in almost any situation in life what you do in private or even in public if it doesn't change your ability to provide what is needed by an employer. You don't know how often I might have sex with my wife or even if I do, why is it important that the details be laid out for everyone to think about. I think it is counter productive to the cause. Take your rights! You don't have to justify them or ask for approval. Be who and what you are and be happy about that. You are who you are. Most people would respect and appreciate your discretion.

It's just one more useless label as far as I'm concerned.

Goofyernmost

Fair point. I should've mentioned I was explicitly referencing Dumbledore, who has been definitively identified as gay.
There probably was a reason for that, but, that isn't a precedent setting situation. It isn't required for all people. Since in this case we are discussing Elsa, there is no reason to apply a label. If you admire her as a personality or you don't, it has nothing to do with orientation. I'm pretty sure if the artist erases the first foot or so below her cartoon waist, I'll bet that there is nothing that indicates what gender she is much less her orientation.

TeriofTerror

There probably was a reason for that, but, that isn't a precedent setting situation. It isn't required for all people. Since in this case we are discussing Elsa, there is no reason to apply a label. If you admire her as a personality or you don't, it has nothing to do with orientation. I'm pretty sure if the artist erases the first foot or so below her cartoon waist, I'll bet that there is nothing that indicates what gender she is much less her orientation.
I agree! :)
I'm really not trying to start a fight. There were a plethora of posts that just kept stoking my fire until I had a tiny meltdown. ;)

BrianLo

Lots of trial runs for Shanghai today. Bob Weis is even on hand. Peter Pan, Tron, jet packs, Alice maze, buzz, hunny pots were the only attractions I heard were running today.

Soarin', the Carousel and 'a boat ride' which could be any of the three other E's. Tarzan and Frozen that I've seen as well currently in terms of shows.

Tron I'm kind of surprised is doing so well, that's the headliner I figured would have the most issues. Things have been constantly quiet on the Pirates front on the other hand.

Every single ride there is at least evidence that they have been cycling for a while at this point.

Rteetz

Soarin', the Carousel and 'a boat ride' which could be any of the three other E's. Tarzan and Frozen that I've seen as well currently in terms of shows.

Tron I'm kind of surprised is doing so well, that's the headliner I figured would have the most issues. Things have been constantly quiet on the Pirates front on the other hand.

Every single ride there is at least evidence that they have been cycling for a while at this point.
I believe the boat ride was the storybook canal type boat ride. I didn't see anything about the rapids being open to guests and no inside looks at pirates. The castle stage show and storybook express parade debuted as well.

Tron has been getting the most talk of anything it seems.

NearTheEars

You heard wrong.... There are plenty of toilets. Also, the toilets in use use a mix of both western style and Chinese crouch down style toilets

View attachment 140525

My God I am such an American. I had no idea a Chinese style toilet existed.
And after reading about it, and seeing photos, could you imagine how the folks that aren't happy with the bathroom cleanliness at WDW would react if they walked in and saw a row of those, some water buckets and a soggy floor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom