The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I hate to bring this up, since it is likely crazy speculation...but some Columbian company is claiming TWDC has purchased 1000 acres in Columbia for a park and are trying to build some water reservoir. Pretty brave of this company to post it so that it got picked up on the news wire.

Anyone have insight? Has this already been debunked?

Colombia, not Columbia

Figments Friend

HBO's Silicon Valley this week was dead on... where the CEO basically steers the company not based on what the IP or creators of the company envision.. but on what the returns on the stock/investment will be.

He challenges the founder: "What is our product?" and responds "The STOCK!"
It's not only funny, but makes you cry inside a bit too.

Yep, truth.
This is 'Today's Disney' Company.

:hungover:

-

Cesar R M

I think people get hung up on the specifics and don't really understand what their true objection is.

Many people don't want to deal with these topics in a Disney film because they don't want a Disney film to be the place where they are forced to face difficult or contentious topics they may not be comfortable with.. and hence then having to expose and deal with their children's followups from that. They don't want their 'family' product to be the 'battleground' for the contentious topic - they want to keep that place sheltered.

If the topic were inter-racial things, feminism, race, etc.. those who want to believe their 'family' product is a safe haven from all those potentially difficult topics. LGBT stuff is just the latest contentious topic many people would prefer their 'family' product not to be the battleground for.

It's not about the films including sexual or attraction topics or not.. it's about avoiding disagreement, difficult topics, or contention.

Topics like death are difficult to face, but not contentious. Topics like male/female attraction may be difficult based on the age, but were not contentious and you could explain man liking girl without debating controversial aspects like birth control, physical sex, etc.

Many want their 'family friendly' product to be a SAFE HAVEN instead of a place for people to make STATEMENTS.

If you are the audience that feels neglected in these representations - I can understand the push for wanting inclusion or representation. But I think the main resistance is not so much TOPICAL but this general desire for avoiding reality.

People want a fairytale to end happily ever after... not be a experience where they learn to face the harshness of life.

This is why the medium has been relatively CONSERVATIVE and avoids being a social statement. Often that means the medium perpetuates the past and avoids facing important inflexion points.
Only problem is, these same kind of excuses are used to discriminate.
Like how theres ultra creepy heterosexual guys/girls dressing on purpose to sneak into female bathrooms or male bathrooms to cause disgust. All to push for the "law" barring trans people from using the bathrooms of their respective transition sex.

Same with those ironic "remember..." about events like 9/11, pearl harbor..etc.. but all white racists or conservatives are always "stop with the race talk" when someone who has felt oppression mentions slavery.

Cesar R M

here is not consensus and it's been a unsettled topic for tens of thousands of years
And it will continue until its talked positively and publicly.
Why do you think the leverage against black or native is still prevalent? a lot of people (specially those in privilege) will always pull that "not the right time to talk about it" or some other excuse.
Remember about story.. those in privilege will do whatever they can to block others who are not in privilege to gain rights.
That happened with the end of slavery, the black discrimination, the women voting..etc..
They had to FIGHT for them to be heard. And you bet they were told the same every time "not the right moment to talk about it".

Cesar R M

Someone's math skills are a little lacking:
"Their property is 25 miles from Girardot where they believe the Walt Disney Company DIS, -0.11% is building their fifth theme park and first in Latin America." ;)
I would find it strange if they build it on Colombia.
Wouldn't they build right between Argentina and Brazil? (like Paraguay Uruguay as a hub) ?
I actually wonder why they havent tried to build one Aulani like propery in Mexico. Theres a lot of new theme parks getting builds in major coastal towns.. particularly the company owned by grupo Vidanta (who has been building Circle du Soleil theme parks or stadiums all around the place)

Nubs70

Disney has built a new resort somewhere in the world every decade since the 70's. I do think the article is bull but personally I would have no problem if there was no new resort in the 2020's. Use that money on what's already built.
Maybe Disney just bought an option on the land?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would find it strange if they build it on Colombia.
Wouldn't they build right between Argentina and Brazil? (like Paraguay Uruguay as a hub) ?
I actually wonder why they havent tried to build one Aulani like propery in Mexico. Theres a lot of new theme parks getting builds in major coastal towns.. particularly the company owned by grupo Vidanta (who has been building Circle du Soleil theme parks or stadiums all around the place)

Well Colombia has money for one the sources of which are better not discussed but to Disney all money is good money once it gets into the rodent's paws. I remember Scrooge McDuck as a caricature growing up, Never dreamed he would be the guiding spirit of TWDC...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More details on Disney's possible investment/acquisition in/of MLB Advanced Technologies from re/code. The division's valuation sits at $3 billion and Disney currently wants to acquire a third of the company with options for future investments.
http://recode.net/2016/05/04/disney-mlb-video-streaming-company/

Well MLB customers prepare for the Disney IT way You want to watch game 7 of the world series fire up your browser type the URL and get 503 - Service Unavailable because Disney was too cheap to provision adequate resources, As I've said before this is not going to be good for customers as Disney is not going to want to invest in expensive and short lived equipment needed to keep scaling the infrastructure.

Classic Example went to register for the WDW marathon this year and at noontime got the 503 Service Unavailable until about 10 after

disney12

I don't think they should make Elsa queer. Right now, Elsa is relatable and a role model to a bunch of kids. I think she's someone to look up to for all children who have something "different" about them that may be looked down upon by society. I think she's a great role model for LGBQT+ kids, but I do feel like making her queer would take away something from other kids. I don't think Elsa was intended to be necessarily queer, but intended to be a character who is marginalized by society, a character that LGBQT+ kids as well as other kids can look up to. I think that Disney specifically made Elsa's difference something that's not humanely possible so that she could be a broad role model, as opposed to a specific one.

I do think that Disney should come up with a queer character, I just don't think it should be Elsa.

disney12

Why is Elsa's solitary nature indicative of LGBT?, Elsa is well aware of the damage her power is capable of and is unwilling to hurt anyone else so she chooses to isolate herself.

I have to disagree. Although her isolation has to do with her being somewhat dangerous, I think it has more to do with her shame and the shame of her parents. She's able to control her magic with her gloves, and doesn't really have a problem doing so after her secret is revealed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Only problem is, these same kind of excuses are used to discriminate.
Like how theres ultra creepy heterosexual guys/girls dressing on purpose to sneak into female bathrooms or male bathrooms to cause disgust. All to push for the "law" barring trans people from using the bathrooms of their respective transition sex.

Same with those ironic "remember..." about events like 9/11, pearl harbor..etc.. but all white racists or conservatives are always "stop with the race talk" when someone who has felt oppression mentions slavery.

You have never seen racism until you visit China, The Han Chinese believe that they are racially superior to all other races and by extension think they should rule them, The nicest name they call us is Gwai Lo or 'Ghost People'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom