The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I'm in town for a hot minute and I really don't miss Disney.

I don't. I don't miss the crowds, the hype, all the hoops I gotta jump thru or all the other inconviences that come with being someone who is not part of a family of four coming for a week kings stay with everything planned out.

It's weird stepping back into this bubble. Orlando is not the real world. Everything here is so far skewed from reality, it's messed up. I just don't know where to start.

While I do love sitting on MSUSA and just people watching, the hassles and the costs involved aren't worth it.

Of course you are in Trantor (Washington DC) which is the OTHER 'Reality does not apply here' City on the east coast. Props to those who understand the reference to Trantor.

doctornick

If they don't do a Phase 3 they will probably reduced the capacity in that park if you take out LMA and Indiana Jones. Those are huge people eating shows. That would be nuts but I wouldn't put it past them. Meanwhile in all those years Univeral will have added so much and probably be ready to break ground on a third park. Ugh.

If all goes as rumored for locations for TSL and Star Wars, that would mean the entire back corner of the park (Catastrophe Canyon, LMA, the non-Muppets part of SoA) will be torn down -- this is where "Phase 3" would go. I'm extremely skeptical that they wouldn't build something there for capacity reasons and guest flow, if nothing else. Without putting something there, you'd have no connection from Toy Story Land down to Muppets and Star Wars. Maybe it will be minimal and cheap. Maybe it will be undeveloped with lots of space reserved for "future development", but we'll get some version of Phase 3. It should already be budgeted as part of the reported $2.8B going to DHS.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If they keep moving the timeline of these movies forward, Indy won't work. He's a creature born of George and Steven's childhood love of pulps and serials of the 30's and 40's. Once he gets taken out of that context...

But all I really want from Indy 5 is a script by Shane Black, that would get me really excited for this film.

Plenty of stuff for exploration related themes in the 50's - heck if you want to keep with the space theme. there was the International Geophysical Year which started July 1 1957.

Cesar R M

And what better way to freshen up the Indiana Jones stunt show then with a movie about a geriatric version of the title character?
Geriatric Indiana Jones vs the corpse of Hitler!

fpsAIYP.gif

I really don't know how they recover from the last IJ. The character is now stuck in the Cold War era and fighting the soviets just didn't work as well as fighting Nazis. Long term it would be cool if they go to the sort of James Bond model, where continuity is less of a priority, and they can go back to the same timeline as the earlier films.

kinda hard to go back to the same timeline when your original character looks like in his late 70's.

Cesar R M

I don't. I don't miss the crowds, the hype, all the hoops I gotta jump thru or all the other inconviences that come with being someone who is not part of a family of four coming for a week kings stay with everything planned out.

It's weird stepping back into this bubble. Orlando is not the real world. Everything here is so far skewed from reality, it's messed up. I just don't know where to start.

While I do love sitting on MSUSA and just people watching, the hassles and the costs involved aren't worth it.
Well, technically there is nothing new and with the tons of cuts... Why would you feel hype right now?

NearTheEars

I much enjoy living just outside of Orlando. Less than an hour drive, but far enough away from that touristy feeling.

Where I'm at still doesn't have the charm of back home in the North, though. Everything is still too new here.

But you can't beat the weather. I've only experienced snow twice in 6 years. Both on work trips to Syracuse.

Nj4mwc

Of course you are in Trantor (Washington DC) which is the OTHER 'Reality does not apply here' City on the east coast. Props to those who understand the reference to Trantor.
The reality is DC stinks, no good pizza or bagels, i much prefer the false reality of orlando to dc, cant wait to move from this stinkberg

Cesar R M

I much enjoy living just outside of Orlando. Less than an hour drive, but far enough away from that touristy feeling.

Where I'm at still doesn't have the charm of back home in the North, though. Everything is still too new here.

But you can't beat the weather. I've only experienced snow twice in 6 years. Both on work trips to Syracuse.
you live in Tampa? my boss lives there and he tells me the same.
Plus living nearby but not "in the zone" drops the rent, costs and taxi prices by a TON according to him.

the.dreamfinder

Except Inside Out Meet&greet STILL has not appeared!

It was announced for April...
Hong Kong got theirs in time for the film's theatrical release... What a novel concept!
So "Inside Out" got a sweet M&G area... in Hong Kong.
Photo Credit: Disney PR via Orlando Theme Park News
View attachment 100740
View attachment 100741
View attachment 100742
The M&G opened on the 13th of July, ten days before the film opened in Hong Kong theaters on the 23rd.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Indiana Jones needs to act like the bond series... Just plug in new bonds and move on like nothing happens. The stories that can be told our endless if they stay true to that line of development. if they try to push the time frame out of what makes Indy Indy it will not be the same movies.

V_L_Raptor

You know, theme park mania notwithstanding, I wouldn't say it's an Orlando thing. Florida doesn't act like the real world most of the time.

Tampa, for example, has its own varieties of bizarre. It's downright dystopian to wander around the themed and manicured Busch Gardens park out here on the edge of the city limits only to get a spectacular view of a few scuzzy local establishments when you ascend Montu's lift hill. It'd make a great Simpsons screen gag.

culturenthrills

I came from Virginia and there were very distinct separations between the poor, middle class and higher end parts of town. In Florida that seems to be less prevelant. You can have million dollar homes and go a few blocks down the road and you are in a bad part of town. Heck, in Orlando you have the nice area around the Mall at Millenia and if you go a few blocks away you have one of the worst parts of town.

baymenxpac

man, i just scanned the topics of the news and rumors section...

anyone ever do that and just get downright depressed?

also, this bums me out: i've had four people tell me in the last week that, when they go, they are going to "get wasted at epcot," as if that's the only thing to do there. hard to argue with them, though, considering that's...pretty much the only thing to do there. and these aren't disney frequenters. they are once-or-twice in a lifetimers who simple equate epcot with drinking around the world. congrats, disney. you turned the park with the most soul into an empty vessel of imported beers, and it only took you a decade or two!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom