The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Watch out you guys, you might attract a purple big cat.

Like THIS guy

250px-Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

TeriofTerror

Email and phone calls.

And that includes social media maven Dr. Blondie (AKA Cupcake) at Jennifer.J.Fickley@disney.com or the much more ordinary (looks aren't everything though) Thomas.Smith@disney.com ... their phone numbers, including work cells, are also widely available via any CM with Hub access and I am sure they would love to hear from fans and Guests since that is their job, right?
Quick follow-up: After emailing eleven different Disney executives, I heard back from exactly one. Well, sort of. A lovely young lady named Mallory phoned me on behalf of George Kalogridis. She was sweet, attentive, and engaged. But in the end, what difference did an apology from her make? I'm sure she doesn't have the authority to initiate substantive changes. I truly appreciate that she made the effort to contact me and spent twenty minutes on the phone with me, but I sadly feel as though our complaints may be "in one ear and out the other".

BernardandBianca

"Walt Disney Co ( DIS)) said Tuesday that director Steven Spielberg and actor Harrison Ford will return for a fifth installment of "Indiana Jones," due for release in theaters in July 2019."

Now we can update the Indiana Jones attraction at DHS to include the newest blockbuster.

BrianLo

Jesus Spirit, you'll give people heart attacks if you say stuff like that! But seriously guys, this was the Weatherman's thinking when he went into talks with Steve Jobs to acquire Pixar back in 2005. If it wasn't for John and Ed, they would have merged the two divisions then and Disney Animation would have been a thing of the past. The then 65 years of continuous production of animated shorts and features under the tradition and identity, not BRAND, of Walter Elias Disney and generations of master animation artists of which there are far too many to name here would have ended there.

These are the stakes when it comes to succession. Disney management doesn't give a **** about the legacy of the company but they'll sell to it the public like they do. The next CEO of TWDC cannot be a strat planner like Staggs or any individual who thinks like them. Disney needs someone as its next CEO who understand the significance of the legacy of WDAS, to both the company and the art form, and the need to allow it to be its own autonomous studio to continue that legacy. We need change or Iger's default option for Walt Disney Animation, to dissolve it into "Pixar South", will be our future.

Are we seriously grasping at anything and everything these days to witch hunt Iger?

Pretty much the only thing that is unequivocally better in the last decade is the film slate. Bar none. WDAS is working, Pixar is still working (and under the Mouse), Marvel is working, Star Wars is working, even the live action remakes for all the hand-wringing are working.

Disney is the only major film studio that consistently works for film critics - and by a large margin. The only out and out stinker of 2015 was a film developed outside the current story-trust.

It's precisely the total indifference the CEO has towards the film studios that is working! Eisner cared too much and insisted on having his hands on everything. The only reason WDAS was in a position that the consideration was there to fold it into Pixar was due to the complete and utter destruction of the Animation brand through the late 90's-2000's.

Feel free to give zero credit to Iger, but he hardly deserves a lick of blame.

Also, no need for everyone to feign shock that Walt Disney Animation brand was almost folded in 2005 (Thanks Eisner!). It's actually a successful (and trusted) brand once again and has established an identity outside of Pixar. You can blame Iger for that... if only he cared more about legacy.

hopemax

Are we seriously grasping at anything and everything these days to witch hunt Iger?

Pretty much the only thing that is unequivocally better in the last decade is the film slate. Bar none. WDAS is working, Pixar is still working (and under the Mouse), Marvel is working, Star Wars is working, even the live action remakes for all the hand-wringing are working.

Disney is the only major film studio that consistently works for film critics - and by a large margin. The only out and out stinker of 2015 was a film developed outside the current story-trust.

I go back to Iger's comment about needing to purchase Pixar because he realized that in the last decade the only successful new animated characters were coming out of Pixar. That's not a wrong sentiment, but why stop with the presence of animated characters in your theme park parade? Marvel and Star Wars are both capitalizing on the built in audiences that comes from beloved IPs that are 40+ years old. Then there are the live action versions of animated movies.

It's not unreasonable to cheer those successes, but at some point the Studio needs, as you put it...an identity outside of Marvel & Star Wars and live-action remakes. What has happened to the TV audience, with content creators able to bypass the major studios and find success with original programming, is going to come to the big screen too. At some point, producers, directors and writers will be able to produce the stories they want to tell and not just the ones the Studios are willing to greenlight ( and to be fair, the "proven IP making up the bulk of product" is a in issue for more studios than Disney). Netflix is already moving beyond original television, Amazon has farther to go but is on the path. During Oscar season, there was at least one reference of someone who "talked to Disney, but mutually agreed they weren't the right home for the project." The problem here is Disney is going to need content creators more than content creators will need Disney. "We're just not a good fit, so I didn't consider working with Disney," my concern is, Iger's choices are letting the Studio "get typecast."

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I go back to Iger's comment about needing to purchase Pixar because he realized that in the last decade the only successful new animated characters were coming out of Pixar. That's not a wrong sentiment, but why stop with the presence of animated characters in your theme park parade? Marvel and Star Wars are both capitalizing on the built in audiences from comes from beloved IPs that are 40+ years old. Then there are the live action versions of animated movies.

It's not unreasonable to cheer those successes, but at some point the Studio needs, as you put it...an identity outside of Marvel & Star Wars and live-action remakes. What has happened to the TV audience, with content creators able to bypass the major studios and find success with original programming, is going to come to the big screen too. At some point, producers, directors and writers will be able to produce the stories they want to tell and not just the ones the Studios are willing to greenlight ( and to be fair, the "proven IP making up the bulk of product" is a in issue for more studios than Disney). Netflix is already moving beyond original television, Amazon has farther to go but is on the path. During Oscar season, there was at least one reference of someone who "talked to Disney, but mutually agreed they weren't the right home for the project." The problem here is Disney is going to need content creators more than content creators will need Disney. "We're just not a good fit, so I didn't consider working with Disney, my concern is, Iger's choices are letting the Studio "get typecast."
Well, if they follow Iger's legacy. They will always have the option to BUY the IP.
Disney might move from content CREATORS to just PURCHASERS/DISTRIBUTORS of content.

the.dreamfinder

View attachment 134216

Make him a student that's like Indy's apprentice and then have him carry it on while Indy has a similar role as Han Solo in Episode VII,
but maybe no death this time.
If they keep moving the timeline of these movies forward, Indy won't work. He's a creature born of George and Steven's childhood love of pulps and serials of the 30's and 40's. Once he gets taken out of that context...

But all I really want from Indy 5 is a script by Shane Black, that would get me really excited for this film.

FigmentJedi

It's been confirmed that he is not returning due to the things he said about Indy 4.
Also he's better as a motivational speaker than as an actor.

View attachment 134216

Make him a student that's like Indy's apprentice and then have him carry it on while Indy has a similar role as Han Solo in Episode VII,
but maybe no death this time.

Nah, an all grown up Short Round will be Indy's heir. Gotta get those sweet, sweet Chinabucks after all.

BrianLo

It's not unreasonable to cheer those successes, but at some point the Studio needs, as you put it...an identity outside of Marvel & Star Wars and live-action remakes.

Agreed. The creativity out of live action is very, very limited going forward outside of each 'sandbox'. They seem to have completely dropped any arm that produces new adaptations or new ideas. Can't say I blame them, it's been one failure after another.

On the other hand, WDAS (in particular) and Pixar still produce lots of original content. If they did not have both animated division I'd be more worried about the creative future of the company.

Disney is all about the formula these days. They have a very successful formula for getting new ideas to work with Pixar and WDAS. Hopefully one day someone can figure something out for the live action end of things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom