The Spirited 11th Hour ...

rael ramone

If all goes as rumored for locations for TSL and Star Wars, that would mean the entire back corner of the park (Catastrophe Canyon, LMA, the non-Muppets part of SoA) will be torn down -- this is where "Phase 3" would go. I'm extremely skeptical that they wouldn't build something there for capacity reasons and guest flow, if nothing else. Without putting something there, you'd have no connection from Toy Story Land down to Muppets and Star Wars. Maybe it will be minimal and cheap. Maybe it will be undeveloped with lots of space reserved for "future development", but we'll get some version of Phase 3. It should already be budgeted as part of the reported $2.8B going to DHS.

Watch phase 3 be 'Sing-A-Long' Land!!! Sit on Hot Concrete while College Program Cast Members use a laser pointer to do the Bouncing Ball Effect as you sing along to lyrics displayed on an Inflatable Movie Screen (borrowed from the Boardwalk pool... can't cut into the precious Buyback Fund and buy a new one) as you sing along to whatever movie there's a surplus of in inventory.

For Preferred seating (a metal folding Samsonite chair) it's all yours for the low price of $29.99!!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So I'm in town for a hot minute and I really don't miss Disney.

I don't. I don't miss the crowds, the hype, all the hoops I gotta jump thru or all the other inconviences that come with being someone who is not part of a family of four coming for a week kings stay with everything planned out.

It's weird stepping back into this bubble. Orlando is not the real world. Everything here is so far skewed from reality, it's messed up. I just don't know where to start.

While I do love sitting on MSUSA and just people watching, the hassles and the costs involved aren't worth it.

So don't go. Problem solved Dave.

Mike S

Just saw on CNBC - SeaWorld is ceasing breeding Orcas - and will eventually discontinue the shows at the rest of their parks.
Are they sending them back to the moon where they belong?
image.jpeg

Cesar R M

Indiana Jones needs to act like the bond series... Just plug in new bonds and move on like nothing happens. The stories that can be told our endless if they stay true to that line of development. if they try to push the time frame out of what makes Indy Indy it will not be the same movies.
Except not all bonds have charisma. Harrison ford as this special charisma that was destroyed by the sequels.
Just like how Connery, Brosnan and Craig are considered very appreciated in the Bond series. The others.. not so much.

Cesar R M

I came from Virginia and there were very distinct separations between the poor, middle class and higher end parts of town. In Florida that seems to be less prevelant. You can have million dollar homes and go a few blocks down the road and you are in a bad part of town. Heck, in Orlando you have the nice area around the Mall at Millenia and if you go a few blocks away you have one of the worst parts of town.
sounds like exactly most Mexican tourist towns.
The area where I live could be considered middle-high class(middle low for americans), and is surrounded by a getto area and a middle-low class developments.
So perhaps that is just nature of "tourist town" development (which is enriched by bribing and conflict of interests between "friends" and the "representatives of the developing companies"

BrianLo

A general update to my post from February now that Zootopia is posting week-over-weeks gains (yes, its Mon-Wed this week is actually stronger than last!)

Since we are on the topic of box office, a lot was made of how 2015 was going to be Disney's (Buena Vista's) year at the box office. It totally was, just no one saw Universal coming out of no where and out-topping that.

Humour me as I apparently get way too much joy staring at box office numbers.

BV last year became only the third studio ever to cross 2 billion domestically. They still had a fantastic year before Star Wars as they tied for second fastest studio to 1 billion all time. Universal of course blew through those records and managed to hit a billion dollars by June 14th. Something could be made of how BV managed it with a much smaller slate of films than either Uni/Warner have required in the past... For better or worse, the tentpole strategy is currently working with Disney in that regard.

What I'm particularly impressed by is how well position BV is again this year. Studios are a bit boom and bust from one year to the next, Universal as a point of contention will not be speeding past 2 billion again this year. BV actually looks (in part thanks to the spill-over of Star Wars) positioned to do even better this year on certain metrics.

In order to overtake the fastest studio to 1 billion record set by Universal last year, they need to achieve that by June 12th (since it's a leap year), conveniently which is a Sunday. They've already made 284 million and will surely hit 300 as a very low benchmark from the films they still have in theatre now.

They have four major releases between now and then (Zootopia, Jungle Book, Civil War [which will have had 5 weeks since release] and Alice [which will have wrapped a full 3rd week in release]. It's also nice because we have really solid comparables for all films to at least gauge a starting point for what they might make:

Even being on the extreme conservative side: Civil war performs the same as Cap 2 (ok that's really conservative), Alice sheds nearly half the audience and is more like Cinderella (probably more on the likely side), BV is going to absolutely blow that fastest studio to 1 billion record out of the water. In fact, being that conservative they should be passing 1.1 billion by June 12th.

There's an off chance if Zootopia/Jungle Book perform impressively, and Civil War is the hit we are generally expecting - that they could overtake that record a full three weeks earlier! Certainly the opening weekend numbers for Alice should do the trick if they can't quite get there.

BV had approximately 330 million domestic heading into Zooptopia's release. Zootopia is now tracking (conservatively) as a mid - upper 200 mil movie putting us about 100 million ahead of what I very conservatively said in February.

There are basically three things that will happen:

1. Jungle book flops (~100mil) and we are back to target of BV breaking the billion mark three weeks early with the release of Alice.
2. Jungle book performs moderately (200mil) in which case BV will likely do it without Alice in Cap's second full week or...
3. It outperforms and BV is almost looking at setting the record five weeks earlier (during Cap's opening week).

Needless to say the record is a foregone conclusion.

gmajew

Premium Member
Except not all bonds have charisma. Harrison ford as this special charisma that was destroyed by the sequels.
Just like how Connery, Brosnan and Craig are considered very appreciated in the Bond series. The others.. not so much.

Correct but the point of the comment is that the character was capable of living on with out the original. That is the same thing I feel can happen with Indy. Yes Harrison was great but another can come in and fill those shoes... There is a whole new generation or two of movie goers that would freely accept someone else in this role. I grew up on these films so for me it would be harder but if the movie was good and the actor did a good job I would want to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom