The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

SirGoofy

There is nothing wrong with the hat, nor is it “awkwardly” placed. It fits the image of the Studios wonderfully. Could there be something better than a pin store beneath it? Of course…but let’s stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater, okay.

Please explain how a giant sorcerer hat fits the image of walking down an Old-Hollywood street to a classic Theater. Because I can't make sense of it for the life of me.

If the Hat should be anywhere it should be in the animation courtyard.

SirGoofy

Disney is supposed to be about ambiance and theming, and right in the middle of a beautifully recreated stretch of old Hollywood we see....a giant lit-up hat? The tower was awkwardly placed on the property, but it did have the advantage of being true to the era. Perhaps something grander and more nostalgic than the hat could capture the essence of old Hollywood.

Bingo

Timmay

Please explain how a giant sorcerer hat fits the image of walking down an Old-Hollywood street to a classic Theater. Because I can't make sense of it for the life of me.

Uh, it fits the same way that a castle fits the image of walking down main street Marceline, Missouri. Funny how that never seems to bother anyone.

SirGoofy

Uh, it fits the same way that a castle fits the image of walking down main street Marceline, Missouri. Funny how that never seems to bother anyone.

Unfortunately, for your argument, that's used to signify the escape from reality into fantasy. Works perfectly.

Hat doesn't fit. Period.

Captain Hank

Ah, but Main Street USA was designed with the Castle in mind, and certain architectural elements and the color choices on Main Street are meant to compliment the Castle so it doesn't look too out of place. No such care was taken with the Hat.

trr1

Original Poster
The hat soesn't really have any guest attachment to it. The stones have guests' pictures on them and removing them could cause a lot of controversy. I have a tile on there myself but don't really care for the look of the stones. I'd like to see the tiles placed somewhere else around the same location but just get rid of the stones.

how about getting rid of the stones and putting the tile on the sidedwalks

Timmay

Unfortunately, for your argument, that's used to signify the escape from reality into fantasy. Works perfectly.

Yeah, and 90% of the people that walk down that street don't know this and could not care less. Just like the Studios.

Hat doesn't fit. Period.
Hat does fit. Period. Wow, this is getting us far, isn't it.:rolleyes:

Now I remember why I stopped discussing things with fanboys who know everything.

yankspy

If the Hat should be anywhere it should be in the animation courtyard.
The hat is a symbol from a movie that was made in that exact period that the street is themed to. That would be my guess. Maybe, maybe not?

jmuboy

I like the HAT, HATE HATE HATE its placement at the end of Hollywood Blvd. Totally ruins the old Hollywood feel that area has. I have considered it would be cool to have the Hat in the median of World Drive. it would be better than the ToT billboard.

krankenstein

The Hat doesn't fit and it ruins the back story of the park which is plainly visible to anyone that is wiling to open there eyes and look around. I hate the thing!

Down with the Hat! Down with the Hat!

Harptattoo

One rumor a while back about it's placement had to do with the theater it'self. I guess management at the original theater didn't want Disney selling pictures of people in front of it (Photopass). This was supposed to be the reason why the hat was placed there as to block the theater from being in the pictures. That was a rumor though so I don't know how much truth was in it.
I thought it was a copyright issue with Disney not being able to use the immage of the Chinese theater.

WTBAD

I don't see how anyone can think Mickey's Socerer Hat does not fit DHS theme. The Hat is a feature in two of Disney's attractions at two different parks, PhilharMagic at MK and Fantasmic at DHS. I like the Hat as the park's icon alot better than the Earful Tower and I think its one of the best backgrounds for pictures. I would hate to see it moved outside of the park but theres not really room for it anywhere else inside the park. So lets make room. Fill in the Echo Lake, get rid of the boat & dinosaur, place the Hat in the middle and make it another counter service restaurant with outdoor seating all around the hat. This would be a good place for family meets & to watch the parades. It would also open up that central court yard for more charater meet & greets and streetmospheres.

DisneyMusician2

Yeah, and 90% of the people that walk down that street don't know this and could not care less. Just like the Studios.

Hat does fit. Period. Wow, this is getting us far, isn't it.:rolleyes:

Now I remember why I stopped discussing things with fanboys who know everything.

To be clear, a 'fanboy' would be someone who supported any decision made by Disney (including the hat) without question. By questioning the hat, you could certainly use the classification 'basher' or 'hater', although untrue in this case.

Just to clear that up.:)

PaisleyMF

Got a solution: since Disney does not own the Chinese Theater why not exchange buildings, how about "El Capitan", of course with some Disney Magic. Move the Sorceress Hat to the Animation Building to match more the actual one in California.

El_capitan_theatre.jpg

ar118189091920065.jpg

DisneyMusician2

I don't see how anyone can think Mickey's Socerer Hat does not fit DHS theme. The Hat is a feature in two of Disney's attractions at two different parks, PhilharMagic at MK and Fantasmic at DHS. I like the Hat as the park's icon alot better than the Earful Tower and I think its one of the best backgrounds for pictures. I would hate to see it moved outside of the park but theres not really room for it anywhere else inside the park. So lets make room. Fill in the Echo Lake, get rid of the boat & dinosaur, place the Hat in the middle and make it another counter service restaurant with outdoor seating all around the hat. This would be a good place for family meets & to watch the parades. It would also open up that central court yard for more charater meet & greets and streetmospheres.

I agree, it is a great photo op, but moving it to the animation courtyard sounds like a great idea to me. Or making room for it in that general vicinity.

This is simply an agree to disagree topic, perhaps. But Hollywood boulevard isn't about Mickey. It's about an era gone by that they are trying to replicate. I just think the hat spoils it in is present state and location. It would certainly be fun and welcome somewhere else.

imagineer boy

I think the hat should either move to the enterance are of the park outside of the gates or to the animation courtyard.

I personally much prefer the earful tower as the icon of the park.

tirian

In and of itself, I like the hat. It's well constructed (certainly better than the wand). However, I really, really don't like its placement. It makes no thematic sense, it ruins a great, carefully Imagineered view and it blocks the Great Movie Ride. I even don't really have a problem with it being primarily a gift shop--empirically, Cinderella Castle is a restaurant, beauty salon (which used to be a gift shop) and hotel suite.

Ditto, except that the Castle is also a gorgeous piece of architecture. The Hat looks like a toy.

SirGoofy

The hat itself isn't my problem. It's the placement. It ruins the theming of that part of the park. Put it in the animation courtyard where it belongs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom