The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

Slowjack

Currently the theme at DHS...is where show biz lives.(this was the theme before DHS new name )..its not just movies anymore...but radio, tv, theater, music and of course movies...it no longer centers around just movies..people forget that.
Ah, okay, movies + other entertainment. But still, it is called Disney's Hollywood Studios. It does center around movies, even if it includes a few other things. More to the point, I don't think a giant plastic hat representing one section of one movie (two movies if you count the segment appearing again in Fantasia 2000) better suggests the totality of the entertainment industry than a famous theater which has handprints of many Hollywood stars.

Roxas

Ah, okay, movies + other entertainment. But still, it is called Disney's Hollywood Studios. It does center around movies, even if it includes a few other things. More to the point, I don't think a giant plastic hat representing one section of one movie (two movies if you count the segment appearing again in Fantasia 2000) better suggests the totality of the entertainment industry than a famous theater which has handprints of many Hollywood stars.

Yes but that one movie was Walts Baby, his magnum Opus and proudest work. The segment in question is one of the most instantly recognizable pieces of cinema of all time.

Disneykidder

The hat is to represent Fantasia but most don't understand that. I used to prefer seeing Chinese Gruman's Theatre on the street. It seemed more, I don't know, classy to me...like more Hollywoodish. The hat seems so commercialized. It is cute, but I preferred the theatre.:)

Animaniac93-98

Edit - The Warner Brother's water tower is also where the Warner Brothers, Yakko and Wakko, and their sister Dot [are held captive] live. :)

Yakko: that was true, but we break out all the time now.

Dot: But we like the Earful tower better than the hat, I mean it's an ugly hate too. Water towers are nicer and we like the Earful one because it has more room inside, it's not crowded with pins like that concrete monument to headgear.

Yakko: I mean, where else would we find room for stuff like Wackko's Don Knotts videos?

Wackko: Unused animation facilities?

Yakko: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think the like to be reminded of that.

EPCOT Explorer

Yakko: that was true, but we break out all the time now.

Dot: But we like the Earful tower better than the hat, I mean it's an ugly hate too. Water towers are nicer and we like the Earful one because it has more room inside, it's not crowded with pins like that concrete monument to headgear.

Yakko: I mean, where else would we find room for stuff like Wackko's Don Knotts videos?

Wackko: Unused animation facilities?

Yakko: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think the like to be reminded of that.

That, sir, was WIN.:lol::sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Does anyone have a photo of the giant hidden Mickey that was disrupted by the Hat?

Here's a link to a map that pretty clearly shows the HM.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-studios/mgmmap.gif

It's upside down!

hm.jpg

JLW11Hi

My thoughts about the castle at the end of Main Street: Its one thing to talk about the reasoning a visual element in the parks has, its a whole other to actually look at it and determine whether or not it fits. The castle is beautiful and serves as the entance to Fantasyland, as well as serve as the dominant, central "palace" of the separate "districts" of the Magic Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom was designed from day one to have a castle at the end of turn of the century mainstreet, and you can tell by how well it fits and how good it looks.

I just don't think the same can be said about the hat. If they wanted to make it as a big, grand integral structure at the end of Hollywood Boulevard that served as the entrance to something or housed a central attraction, that would be one thing. But you look down Hollywood Boulevard and the thing is intentionally blocking the view of a nice looking building behind it. If they made the hat the entrance to the attraction it is blocking the view of, that might even give it a little more purpose, but instead its just a big gift shop obstructing the path to the Great Movie Ride. That is poor layout.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is it just me, or is his left ear (without the visual aid) a little small?
It probably is - it was painted onto the roofs of the buildings, whereas the right ear is echo lake. The left ear also was partly incomplete since it originally fell in the backstage area next to the first Theatre of the Stars. It dissappeared more when Sunset was being built in 1993.

In all its glory:

Attachments

• mickey hub.jpg
    mickey hub.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 288

EPCOT Explorer

It probably is - it was painted onto the roofs of the buildings, whereas the right ear is echo lake. The left ear also was partly incomplete since it originally fell in the backstage area next to the first Theatre of the Stars. It dissappeared more when Sunset was being built in 1993.

In all its glory:
That's pretty awesome...Kinda silly because no one saw it, but pretty cool.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom