The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

Boray

My husband and I were just talking about this last Friday, standing in DHS looking at the hat as the sun was setting (it was quite beautiful...) He commented that its placement is awkward and wished that it at least had something interesting inside of it. The pin station sucks. There are PLENTY of those around every park and if they needed to put up a new structure it should at least have something attractive inside of it. If they were to move the hat (not get rid of it entirely, it's a very cool building), the area in front of the theatre would be much bigger for the various shows they hold there (ie: HSM3 Pep Rally).

It just looks misplaced; blocking a very beautiful and impressive building.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The hat is purely a merchandice unit. A store. Just a very tall one. And totally out of place with its surroundings. Yes, it will move. Not tomorrow. Not next month. There are a LOT of politics involved with this one.

WTBAD

The hat itself isn't my problem. It's the placement. It ruins the theming of that part of the park. Put it in the animation courtyard where it belongs.
The animation courtyard is not big enough. Its kind of triangled shaped & I think it would have to be set too close the the Magic of Animation entrance. Maybe they could take out the archway leading in to the courtyard, but I like the Arch too. It could go along the walkway to Fantasmic. Either at the round area about the middle to the way up or at the just before you enter the theater. But both of those places would need enlarging. I like the idea of filling in Echo Lake and putting it there with a restaurant. This also gives DHS a new revenue producing source.

burninup4nick

personally I love the hat...Ive grown up with the hat there.....I dont think I ever have been there when the hat wasnt there....if I was I was waaaayyy to young to remember it....but all in all I love the hat...but I do think the placement is odd....

jt04

The hat is purely a merchandice unit. A store. Just a very tall one. And totally out of place with its surroundings. Yes, it will move. Not tomorrow. Not next month. There are a LOT of politics involved with this one.

So you are confirming it will be relocated and not get the treatment the wand got (and deserved imo)?:veryconfu

MousDad

Are the politics regarding IF it will be moved, or WHEN/WHERE it will be moved, or both?

redkoala245

I think why the Earful Tower isn't DHS's icon is because you can't see the whole thing in person, unless if you plan to visit the Backlot Tours. If you drive by it you only see the top, not the rest. And guests would like to see the whole icon in person so they could take pictures, etc, and it should probably be in the center of the park and that is why the hat is there in front of GMR sadly. The hat is probably not going anywhere at the moment and maybe in the future they could be thinking of these things.
It is just my thoughts… :)

tirian

Such as the politics involved in moving the LaL tombstones, which WDI wants gone ASAP...

RSoxNo1

I know we've had letter writing campaigns for the Adventure's Club, numerous threads on Wand Removal, complaints about Journey into Imagination with Figment and more. Is it possible that Disney is actually listening to us, or are these actions coincidental?

Spyne

Even though there are rumors left and right about whether the Sorcerer's Hat is going to be removed or not, I seriously doubt it's going anywhere. Disney has gone above and beyond in their promoting showing it as the icon of the Studios, and it would be pretty strange after all that promoting they would suddenly get rid of it.

After my recent trip in September; it was my first time seeing the hat in person, and I really like it. I honestly think it's a good centerpiece for a park like the Studios. It shows the "magic" of showbiz and Hollywood, but also with the "magic" of Disney added to it.

(Also on an odd note regarding promoting. I saw quite a lot of the merchandise that has Sorcerer Mickey with all the park icons reminiscent of The Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia, with either the "Where Magic Lives" or "Four Parks - One World" taglines. Anyway, my point in mentioning this. A lot of it still showed Spaceship Earth with the wand on it. I guess it was all mass-produced ahead of time; oh well, hopefully it's corrected in 2009.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom