The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

trr1

Original Poster
Spaceship Earth = Building = Ride
Tree Of Life = Building = 3D Show
Castle = Building = Restaurant/shop/attraction in it's own right
Hat = Simple metal structure = Pin shop

I see something wrong here. Maybe this would be better to fit for the signature structure of the Studios...

Tower of Terror = Building = Ride

Castle = Building = Restaurant/shop/attraction in it's own right and hotel room

I agree let TOT be the icon for DHS

imagineer boy

Castle = Building = Restaurant/shop/attraction in it's own right and hotel room

I agree let TOT be the icon for DHS

I don't think TOT should be the icon. The icon for a park must be beautiful and inspiring. And TOT is neither since its meant to look like a delapidated, haunted hotel.

WaltsApprentice

What about the EARful Tower? It was the original Park Icon for the Studios...why can't it be again now?

This is going to echo everything else what people has said before about the tower. It far off to the right of the park, it's not visible, most icons you can see from most angle, and all icons you can get your picture taken in front of it. The tower is great, but it doesn't work well as an icon when you can rarely see it. Half of the time it's really almost like a billboard for the highway that's close by DHS. I love both and I don't care either way what they do. And for the ones that say that Great Movie ride (or chinese theater) should be the icon....the park is no longer just themed around movies. And it's a studio...not Main stree usa...so for the people that say that it doesn't look like athentic...wait a second...Main Street USA...has a freaking castle at the end of it...what 1900s small down street as a castle at the end of it...:rolleyes::lol: just get over it everyone...

lbrad

I don't think the hat was originally supposed to be permanent, was it? Since it was built for the 100 years celebration back in '01, it always gave off a cheap vibe to me. I mean think of it this way: at MK we have the iconic castle, at Epcot, we have the futuristic and impressive SSE, and at AK we have the tree of life which is such a creative sculptural icon. And then at DHS we have the hard plastic blue hat with glitter mickey ear swirls and a 2-D mickey glove. :brick: Even if it was moved to somewhere else in the park, it still flounders as a respectable park icon because of the level of craft that went into it. DHS deserves better.
But it is The Sorcerers' Hat! And thats a sentimental original:shrug:

Slowjack

And for the ones that say that Great Movie ride (or chinese theater) should be the icon....the park is no longer just themed around movies. And it's a studio...not Main stree usa...so for the people that say that it doesn't look like athentic...wait a second...Main Street USA...has a freaking castle at the end of it...what 1900s small down street as a castle at the end of it...:rolleyes::lol: just get over it everyone...
(Emphasis added)
Um, what is it themed around, then?
And the Main Street issue would be an accurate comparison only if Main Street was once an integrated whole and then the castle was added later. I mean, if the hat had been there from the beginning, and the Chinese Theater had not, the hat wouldn't stick out so much.

RSoxNo1

Magic Kingdom, Cinderella's Castle is and always will be the symbol. It is centrally located and the most dominating image in the park.

Epcot, Spaceship Earth is and always will be the symbol. It is centrally located and the most dominating image in the park.

Animal Kingdom, The Tree of Life is and always will be the symbol. It is centrally located nad the most dominating image in the park.

As it opened, MGM saw Mann's Chinese Theater as being centrally located, but the Earful Tower was labeled as the park symbol. Color me a purist, but I'd rather they keep the Earful Tower as the park's symbol, as bad as it may be. If however the Earful Tower isn't an option, I feel that the park icon should be something that has been in the park since the beginning. Mann's Chinese Theater is the best option for me.

What about the EARful Tower? It was the original Park Icon for the Studios...why can't it be again now?

I always thougth the Earful Tower was a good icon. It's unique in that it's more hidden than the other parks' icons. I remember going on the tram ride and hearing people say, "oh look, there's the thing from the brochure. Cool!" Now people could care less about the Tower. A water tower also makes more sense as an icon for a studio than a giant hat.

This is going to echo everything else what people has said before about the tower. It far off to the right of the park, it's not visible, most icons you can see from most angle, and all icons you can get your picture taken in front of it. The tower is great, but it doesn't work well as an icon when you can rarely see it. Half of the time it's really almost like a billboard for the highway that's close by DHS. I love both and I don't care either way what they do. And for the ones that say that Great Movie ride (or chinese theater) should be the icon....the park is no longer just themed around movies. And it's a studio...not Main stree usa...so for the people that say that it doesn't look like athentic...wait a second...Main Street USA...has a freaking castle at the end of it...what 1900s small down street as a castle at the end of it...:rolleyes::lol: just get over it everyone...

But the castle isn't part of Main Street - it's part of Fantasyland.

hauntdmansion79

Not a big fan of where the hat is located, but I like the structure. I never thought of putting it outside the entrance....I like that idea a lot.

By the way. I remember when we were all barking about wanting the wand down (myself included) and there were people on these boards, even some "in the know", who promised us that the wand wasn't going anywhere....and it did. So don't lose hope. Keep voicing your opinions of the hat. Disney eventually catches word of these opinions.

Although I have read online that Imagineers did not like the Hat themselves. So if there opinions had no effect, then ours probably won't either.

RiversideBunny

How moveable is the hat? Is it one solid piece that can be moved intact?
Wasn't it built up in place using concrete and rebar?

Can you just pick it up and haul to another spot, like outside the entrance to DHS.

:)

Rob562

How moveable is the hat? Is it one solid piece that can be moved intact?
Wasn't it built up in place using concrete and rebar?

Can you just pick it up and haul to another spot, like outside the entrance to DHS.

:)

The structure itself is more than likely something that could be dismantled and placed elsewhere on a new foundation. Then it would just require some demolition work to remove the current foundation and restore the "Mickey's Nose" planter.

-Rob

ewensell3

Warner Brothers uses their water tower as a symbol for their [real] studios...

Edit - The Warner Brother's water tower is also where the Warner Brothers, Yakko and Wakko, and their sister Dot [are held captive] live. :)

WaltsApprentice

(Emphasis added)
Um, what is it themed around, then?
And the Main Street issue would be an accurate comparison only if Main Street was once an integrated whole and then the castle was added later. I mean, if the hat had been there from the beginning, and the Chinese Theater had not, the hat wouldn't stick out so much.
Good point...about the castle
Currently the theme at DHS...is where show biz lives.(this was the theme before DHS new name )..its not just movies anymore...but radio, tv, theater, music and of course movies...it no longer centers around just movies..people forget that.

I always thougth the Earful Tower was a good icon. It's unique in that it's more hidden than the other parks' icons. I remember going on the tram ride and hearing people say, "oh look, there's the thing from the brochure. Cool!" Now people could care less about the Tower. A water tower also makes more sense as an icon for a studio than a giant hat.

But the castle isn't part of Main Street - it's part of Fantasyland.

I agree with you about the water tower...I love it..but there are some guests out there that expect if it's an icon to be out in the open...yet DHS is different from the other parks...it's not one big circle, that circles around an icon...it's studio style.

Yes...the castle is part of Fantasyland...but I'm talking about when you look down main street...what do you see...a castle...people are always complaining saying the Hollywood Blvd. at the studios is like the 1920-30s old hollywood Main street and that with the hat there it throws off the theme...yet if you make a sharp right when you get up to it..there is a modern day Animation studio...It's because it's set up like a studio not like any other one of the theme parks. But yes, your correct the castle is not main street...but my point wasn't that...my point was you can see it when you walk in and how it's not themed with Main Street USA...Of course some will say..it's magic kingdom anything can happen..it's magical... Then Nevermind..there is no point here anymore. Just get over the hat. :lookaroun Sorry for the crazy rambling.:lookaroun

elisatonks

Wow, i suprised that it has taken this long for this rumour to finally appear on here, i first heard rumbled rumours about this backstage at DHS way back this time last year, whilst i was still on my ICP program.

I personally like the hat but feel it is in the wrong place both from a theming and a practical point of view. The whole purpose of hollywood blvd, is to make you feel like you have traveled back to the roaring twenties and the hat totally throws this out of line, and the view of mann's chinese theatre from the entrace was always spectacular and fitted this theme.

From a practical point of view it causes major problems for routing BPB, as the route was widened in this area after stars and motorcars parade left for disneyland paris (believe me i know, as i put the masking tape on the route down enough times before my program ended, because the metal lines were totally wrong for BPB.) Also the hat area is generally the busiest area during parade time esp. during peak times, they viewing room is also very limited with the expansion queuing area for AI.

As to the hat rumor, i have only heard mumbles of the hat getting a new location, and never heard someone mentioning full removal. some of the sites i have heard muttered as new locations include Echo Lake (where the dinosaur is a the moment,) just outside the the turnstiles, in the canal outside the studios (the one that connects epcot and dhs to the epcot resorts,) and in the area where the trams currently turn just before unloading for the the backlot tour(the same person also suggested backlot would close.) Of course some of these seem just plain blue sky, but also some of the locations could work, yet keep the icon on the studios site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom