The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

MousDad

Even though there are rumors left and right about whether the Sorcerer's Hat is going to be removed or not, I seriously doubt it's going anywhere. Disney has gone above and beyond in their promoting showing it as the icon of the Studios, and it would be pretty strange after all that promoting they would suddenly get rid of it.

I'm no linguist, but I think there is a difference in the terms "moved" and "removed."

itasman

I detest the Hat for what it does to the great imagineering vista down Hollywood Blvd. As far as I'm concerned the Chinese Theater was the icon of the park...it was on brochures, advertisements, everything...more so than the Earfel Tower IMO

Like many others I would advocate building a new Hat where the Christmas tree currently stands, in deference to all the Hat lovers, and agreeing that it makes a more readily identifiable icon. I would hope, though, that any new Hat be more akin to the elegant ones in Burbank and Paris and not the current tacky one in Orlando.

If Disney removed the Hat I would pay a special visit to WDW just to say thank you. I never had a chance to walk down Hollywood Blvd and see the Chinese Theater the way it was intended to be seen, before this Eisnerian eyesore came to be.

CThaddeus

Even though there are rumors left and right about whether the Sorcerer's Hat is going to be removed or not, I seriously doubt it's going anywhere. Disney has gone above and beyond in their promoting showing it as the icon of the Studios, and it would be pretty strange after all that promoting they would suddenly get rid of it.

(Also on an odd note regarding promoting. I saw quite a lot of the merchandise that has Sorcerer Mickey with all the park icons reminiscent of The Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia, with either the "Where Magic Lives" or "Four Parks - One World" taglines. Anyway, my point in mentioning this. A lot of it still showed Spaceship Earth with the wand on it. I guess it was all mass-produced ahead of time; oh well, hopefully it's corrected in 2009.)

Your reasons for the BAH not going anywhere in the first paragraph are negated by your statement about the removal of the awful Wand in the second paragraph - Disney can very easily get rid of something they've used as an icon at a moment's noice. One day Wand lovers were saying it would never go away...that it was part of EPCOT's Icon; the next, Disney announced it would rip it down. Tomorrow morning we could wake up and Disney could say the BAH will soon be history. I, for one, would not miss it. It is an eyesore at the end of a beautifully themed street, and it is a huge "brick wall" blocking what I still consider the best attraction in the entire Park. If they want to move it elsewhere, that's fine...as long as it's not blocking anything better looking than it. This could be tricky, though, as I find garbage cans more attractive than the BAH.

JLW11Hi

Yeah, and 90% of the people that walk down that street don't know this and could not care less. Just like the Studios.

I actually think that most park goers have more taste for these things than some people give them credit for. Art design and staging have a purpose, a very big purpose in the role of the parks. They always have been, and people know when thought goes into a composition versus when things get slapped on.

I don't like the hat that much, I don't think it fits.

RiversideBunny

I think they are finding that they need some open space in front of the Great Movie Ride.

The DHS Christmas tree used to go there.
Stage productions and high school musical events need the space.
That spot is too valuable and in demand to have it taken up by a permanent fixture such as the hat.

I like the hat itself. It would look great just outside DHS at the entrance.

:)

Scooter

It seems to me that only people who have been to DHS during the pre-hat days are upset. People who are new to the Disney Parks will see the hat and go oooooooh...cool.

While I would agree that it could have been placed in a more suitable location, it certainly doesn't bother me where it's at now.

I tend to look at the hat as a single item, not as part of a larger picture. I Love the design of the hat and because of that, I have no problems with it being where it is.

I'm also thinking about what may in the future. While I think the hat will remain where it is for a long time to come, I'm not sure The Great Movie ride will be. There may be legal issues down the road that may force Disney to redesign that buildings face.

Hat or no hat, life's too short for me to be concerned about hat placement.
As long as Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster are still there, I'm a happy camper.:)

SirNim

One thing that the hat has always reminded me of is the temporary circus tent erected by the travelling Cirque du Soleil shows.

They have these big, cartoonish, colorfully striped, plasticky tents underneath which is sold all the merchandise. They fill the interior of the tents with neat lighting and props, and it's atmospheric, but at the end of the show, it's all too clear that it's temporary! Just a big, plasticky roadshow, albeit very colorful and extravagantly fanciful.

imagineer boy

I actually think that most park goers have more taste for these things than some people give them credit for. Art design and staging have a purpose, a very big purpose in the role of the parks. They always have been, and people know when thought goes into a composition versus when things get slapped on.

I don't like the hat that much, I don't think it fits.

Very good point. Guests may check their brains at the gate, but they'll notice if somthing is out of place, especially when they've seen the stellare themeing at the other parks.

Besides, I don't think the hat has gotten the public recognition as an icon as Disney has tried to have it be. Its no where near as well known as Cinderella Castle, SSE, and The Tree of Life.

uklad79

Spaceship Earth = Building = Ride
Tree Of Life = Building = 3D Show
Castle = Building = Restaurant/shop/attraction in it's own right
Hat = Simple metal structure = Pin shop

I see something wrong here. Maybe this would be better to fit for the signature structure of the Studios...

Tower of Terror = Building = Ride

RSoxNo1

Spaceship Earth = Building = Ride
Tree Of Life = Building = 3D Show
Castle = Building = Restaurant/shop/attraction in it's own right
Hat = Simple metal structure = Pin shop

I see something wrong here. Maybe this would be better to fit for the signature structure of the Studios...

Tower of Terror = Building = Ride

If the sorcerer's hat was on top of the animation building, and the building was still operational like it was when the park opened, the hat would be a much more logical symbol of the park.

hrcollectibles

Ok here is my Armchair Imagineering. We take the hat and put it on top of the Tower of Terror.. Just kidding.

I like the ideas of having the hat placed at the outside entrance and I like the idea of moving it to Echo lake.

As far as the earful tower Place it so it is behind the Great movie ride maybe even putting it on top of the building to give the effect that it is behind it

HMF

When we did our lunch w/an Imagineer back in May we discussed the decision processes and things within WDI. I think we were asking where do things originate. Who dreams stuff up. How do the ideas make it from just a whim to an addition to a park. We went thru the info about Blue Sky, etc. But then he was explaining to us how not everything you see in the parks originated as ideas that came from WDI. The Imagineers don't like a lot of things that get brought to them to make happen, but their job is to create what they are told to so they do it. His example was 'The Hat'. He stated that 'The Hat' came from marketing, not WDI. Marketing wanted a more prominent weenie. He told us that he didn't know anyone in WDI that liked 'The Hat' because it disrupted the story when you enter DHS. It just doesn't fit. I can't tell you how disgusted he acted as he told us all about this. He said that he and his fellow Imagineers liked to play with the stories you see around you in the parks and don't like when they are forced to do things that they know are the complete opposite of what belongs within a scene. In this same conversation he mentioned his dislike for the placement and design of the Swan and Dolphin hotels. I hadn't ever noticed but apparently you can see the tops of these buildings from within World Showcase which disrupts the skyline. I did mention to him that there are many who don't like the LaL walls because of their intrusion in the entry of Epcot. He was interested by this. I told him how they were referred to as 'tombstones'. He got a good laugh out of that.

Do I think 'The Hat' is going anywhere anytime soon? NOpe. Marketing wants their Weenie and the Earful Tower wasn't enough. Like others, I don't dislike the structure but I think the placement is terrible. I like the idea of parking it out in the front entrance of the park. THat way you can walk past it and not have the disruption in story as you make your way into DHS.
I wish WDI had more guts and stood up to marketing and said we built this park and we should decide what to do with it.

Expo_Seeker40

If money weren't an option :eek:...

they could have brought the earful tower out to the front of the park near the giant planter they use for the x-mas tree, redone the entrance plaza and ticket areas and make it look like you are entering through some giant studio gates flanked by art deco buildings ala paramount pictures entrance, and thus you enter the courtyard with the crossroads and then look down hollywood blvd with a hatless chinese theater.

Thus the entrance, like SSE, but in this case the earful tower would be the weenie that pulls you right it, but then you are on-stage, and that includes the great movie ride

The hat would be great as the entrance to the animation courtyard vs the arch

itasman

i just read on another site that the hat might be leaving dhs. god i hope so i didnt really like it in front of gmr
user_offline.gif

If you don't mind, could please say which site it was, so I could go read for myself.

trr1

Original Poster
If you don't mind, could please say which site it was, so I could go read for myself.

the dis http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1994505
here is the post

The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios
I heard something the other day and nearly fell off my chair!

On a recent trip to the world, my friend who is an avid pin collector was told to collect any pins she could find that had the hat and/or any "MGM" wording on it as the hat was going to be coming down! PLEASE say it isn't so! Hollywood studios is our first stop on our trips (even though I always try to pull everyone to Magic Kingdom - the kids always want to go to HS) and I can't imagine what they might replace it with?

Has anyone else heard this, or know what the story might be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom