The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

devoy1701

IMHO, I like the hat. Why? Well, the "Earfel" Tower made sense when DHS was a working studio, though it was terrible as a central icon as it was neither central, nor an easily spotted icon. The Chinese Theater made sense in the early days as well as the feel was more that of SoCal then FL. However, I've been to the real theater and I can say the area it's in is nothing I would want to revisit. The theater is not a good icon for the park as it's not Disney owned/created, not a "greater than life" icon like the other 3 parks have, and does not command the same presence either. I understand what marketing is after, they just went about it the wrong way.

I agree with those that think it should be kept but moved. I personally would like to see the "road" to pixar place curved and opening onto the square just to the side of the theater. That is, NOT run it all the way along Little Mermaid to behind the old MGM Gate. I think the old MGM gate should be torn down and the hat (or a smaller version of it) should be placed as a new grand entry to the Animation courtyard as opposed to the hat being placed in it. This would then create the feel of 2 "lands" within the park. I know a few have talked in the past that Disney wants the new DHS long term vision to be more "land" based so this seems to parallel that thought.

As far as a new icon, I don't know. I think it should go with the story and not marketing. I feel WDI should be able to turn their creativity loose on it and suprise us with something appropriate and styled for the new direction. (And no GIANT pixar bouncing lamps please.) Move the hat, get rid of the Chinese Theater, and give us something new that we can truly be mesmerized by. Perhaps all part of a GMR complete update or replacement.

Double Post.

I didn't read your comment until after I posted mine, but you and I had alot of the same things to say about the Earfel Tower and the Chinese Theater...

I like what you said about needing an icon that fits the story of the park. I was thinking more along the lines of how Grand all of the other park weanies are, but I also forgot to think about how they all have a back story and fit with the ideas of the park. Yes, the Hat is one of Disney's greatest movie icons, but the whole park of DHS is lacking a background story. Where I agree that an Icon needing a back story is ideal, I do not have an idea of what backstory-filled Icon they can use to represent the entire park... :shrug:

Ilovewishes

Another Hat fan here! Although I do agree that the area under it is really a waste of space! I like the idea of a character meet & greet there instead.

I was never a fan of the theatre so it didn't really bother me that they covered it with the Hat but I have no argument against them either updating the theatre and moving the Hat to the front of the park (similar positioning to SSE in Epcot) or replacing both with something that will reflect both Disney and movies!

I'm sure the Imagineers could come up with something that would please everyone! Or almost everyone, anyway!!:lol:

Figment632

No, the Earful Tower is the icon for the Studios. Of course we needed another Pin Trading station, so now we got the hat.:brick:

The earful tower was the symbol of DHS. Now the hat is, besides most merchandise has the hat on it. I don't rember any with the tower recently.

I happen to like the hat even if it is oddly placed the tower is to small to be the icon of the park. Every other park Icon the castle, giant geodesic sphere, or the tree of life towers over it.

tazhughes

I do not hate the hat, but I do miss the view down to the Chinese Theater.

My suggestion would be to remove the circular gift shop just inside the turnstiles (don't know what it's called) and place the hat above the park entrance. This would create a new story: as you walk under Mickey's sorcerers hat you enter the imagination of Mickey. It would also allow for a great park icon photo, instead of facing the direction you do now turn around, since you have removed the gift shop it is a relatively clean view to the park icon, which will now be elevated and can make for some fun shots (okay everybody raise your hands like your holding the sorcerers hat over your heads).

cblodg

No, the Earful Tower is the icon for the Studios. Of course we needed another Pin Trading station, so now we got the hat.:brick:

Actually, the Earful Tower hasn't been the "Icon" of the park since the hat was installed. If you look at the art on the plastic cups that are generic to the parks, you will see that the hat has replaced the Earful Tower.

If the hat is to go, my guess would be to accomodate more space for the American Idol Experince.

My personal thought on AIE- please Disney, don't do it. It will only hold it's own for so long, and is by far one of the new attractions that is just destined to be closed soon after it opens. I think that American Idol is running it's course, and will not be popular as an attraction. Especially the amount of time that a guest will have to spend (if they make it) at that one event. At that point, they've paid Disney the price of admition just to compete!

It's not worth it!

dmagickingdom

The hat soesn't really have any guest attachment to it. The stones have guests' pictures on them and removing them could cause a lot of controversy. I have a tile on there myself but don't really care for the look of the stones. I'd like to see the tiles placed somewhere else around the same location but just get rid of the stones.

yeah about the hat placement. I heard the same thing. I was told that they were forced to do something because of the owner of the real chinese theater. Disney had to find a way to cover it up. And apparently the hat was the final choice as opposed to refacing the building with another theme.

DisneyMusician2

Actually, the Earful Tower hasn't been the "Icon" of the park since the hat was installed. If you look at the art on the plastic cups that are generic to the parks, you will see that the hat has replaced the Earful Tower.

If the hat is to go, my guess would be to accomodate more space for the American Idol Experince.

My personal thought on AIE- please Disney, don't do it. It will only hold it's own for so long, and is by far one of the new attractions that is just destined to be closed soon after it opens. I think that American Idol is running it's course, and will not be popular as an attraction. Especially the amount of time that a guest will have to spend (if they make it) at that one event. At that point, they've paid Disney the price of admition just to compete!

It's not worth it!

I'm not a big AI fan, but I think this attraction has more staying power and popularity than you might think. If WWTBAM could hang on for so long, I don't think a live competition where you get to put yourself in the TV show will be any less satisfying to guests if done correctly.

And the Earful Tower should be the icon of the park, as it really makes you think old-style Hollywood, rather than the hat, which makes you think......fiberglass or plastic?

cblodg

I'm not a big AI fan, but I think this attraction has more staying power and popularity than you might think. If WWTBAM could hang on for so long, I don't think a live competition where you get to put yourself in the TV show will be any less satisfying to guests if done correctly.

And the Earful Tower should be the icon of the park, as it really makes you think old-style Hollywood, rather than the hat, which makes you think......fiberglass or plastic?

I just don't think AIE is going to last. My opinion though, and I hope I'm proven wrong.

I think the Earful Tower was a great symbol for when you had the real Backlot, the houses and all. Now that is all gone, so the new icon being the hat actually fits better. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I think it's there to stay.

DisneyMusician2

I just don't think AIE is going to last. My opinion though, and I hope I'm proven wrong.

I think the Earful Tower was a great symbol for when you had the real Backlot, the houses and all. Now that is all gone, so the new icon being the hat actually fits better. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I think it's there to stay.

No offense, but I hope you are wrong, too:sohappy:

I just love seeing SOMETHING back in that location. Although I am really unsure as to why they didn't re-create Superstar Television with some of the hit ABC shows that are out now.

Can you imagine how many people would want to insert themselves into Desperate Housewives?

EPCOT Explorer

I just don't see how a huge Hat is the symbol of entertainment and the movies.:shrug:

It's kinda like that Wand....How was that world culture or futurism?

It makes no sense.

DisneyMusician2

I just don't see how a huge Hat is the symbol of entertainment and the movies.:shrug:

It's kinda like that Wand....How was that world culture or futurism?

It makes no sense.

I agree. It is more a symbol of the corporate Disney than of Hollywood. I can't believe that there is nothing else they could come up with.

Heck, they carved a whole darn Tree of Life but DHS gets the hat? Never understood it. I have always hoped it would go the way of the wand.

(Don't we all miss those wand threads????:ROFLOL:)

EPCOT Explorer

I agree. It is more a symbol of the corporate Disney than of Hollywood. I can't believe that there is nothing else they could come up with.

Heck, they carved a whole darn Tree of Life but DHS gets the hat? Never understood it. I have always hoped it would go the way of the wand.

(Don't we all miss those wand threads????:ROFLOL:)

Yep...Disney gives us amazing things...And then we get a cut out hat.

WHA????:lol:

Timmay

The Earful Tower was the icon of the studios...but was pretty lousy. It does not have the same stature as SSE, the Castle or later, the Tree of Life. It is not a very interesting or majestic structure and is poorly located.

There is nothing wrong with the hat, nor is it “awkwardly” placed. It fits the image of the Studios wonderfully. Could there be something better than a pin store beneath it? Of course…but let’s stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater, okay.

Captain Hank

In and of itself, I like the hat. It's well constructed (certainly better than the wand). However, I really, really don't like its placement. It makes no thematic sense, it ruins a great, carefully Imagineered view and it blocks the Great Movie Ride. I even don't really have a problem with it being primarily a gift shop--empirically, Cinderella Castle is a restaurant, beauty salon (which used to be a gift shop) and hotel suite.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think if they made a new big Earful Tower and put it on top of the GMR, and moved the hat to the Christmas tree, so the tree could move back.
What I REALLY want, though, is just for them to move the hat and make that sweet aerial hidden mickey more pronounced again. That's my favorite HM of all time.

DisneyMusician2

The Earful Tower was the icon of the studios...but was pretty lousy. It does not have the same stature as SSE, the Castle or later, the Tree of Life. It is not a very interesting or majestic structure and is poorly located.

There is nothing wrong with the hat, nor is it “awkwardly” placed. It fits the image of the Studios wonderfully. Could there be something better than a pin store beneath it? Of course…but let’s stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater, okay.

I completely disagree.

In this case, both the baby and the bathwater don't match the bathroom. Something better than a pin store would be great, but how does the hat fit with the general theme of DHS?

Disney is supposed to be about ambiance and theming, and right in the middle of a beautifully recreated stretch of old Hollywood we see....a giant lit-up hat? The tower was awkwardly placed on the property, but it did have the advantage of being true to the era. Perhaps something grander and more nostalgic than the hat could capture the essence of old Hollywood.

It simply has the feel of a hasty solution to a legal problem. I can understand the necessity, but I wold have hoped that something else would have been done.

The other three parks have awe-inspiring and magical landmarks. The kind you can barely fit in your viewfinder to get a great shot of up close. The hat just doesn't do it for me.

Timmay

I completely disagree.

The other three parks have awe-inspiring and magical landmarks. The kind you can barely fit in your viewfinder to get a great shot of up close. The hat just doesn't do it for me.

Yep...we disagree.

To me the hat is the best known symbol of Mickey's most iconic appearance in a motion picture. I my opinion I don't think there is anything out there that would be a better fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom