The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

Erika

meditativerose said:
Thanks for the welcome!!! October 23-30. My BF's b-day is the 29th and I've arranged for a fireworks birthday cruise with cake and champagne. I would seriously hate for it to be rained out!!!

Sounds romantic! I hope it goes well :)

On a more serious note, I hope everyone in the Caribbean is doing ok.

Tramp

meditativerose said:
Thanks for the welcome!!! October 23-30. My BF's b-day is the 29th and I've arranged for a fireworks birthday cruise with cake and champagne. I would seriously hate for it to be rained out!!!

That is so cool! I've checked Poor Richard's Almanac and the weather is going to be very romantic that night, I promise. :kiss:

Tim G

Original Poster
Jeanne Becomes Hurricane!
Two Killed In Puerto Rico

UPDATED: 8:48 am EDT September 16, 2004

YABUCOA, Puerto Rico -- Jeanne strengthened from a tropical storm into the sixth hurricane of the season Thursday, a day after lashing Puerto Rico with damaging winds and rain that knocked out power, flooded roads and killed two people.

A hurricane warning was posted for eastern and northern coasts of the Dominican Republic, as forecasters told the storm-weary Caribbean to monitor the progress of Jeanne, which had 80 mph winds with higher gusts.

The storm could potentially reach Florida, Georgia and South Carolina by the beginning of next week, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

At 8 a.m. EDT, Jeanne was hugging the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, moving west near 9 mph, with a gradual turn toward the west-northwest expected in the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm becomes a hurricane when its winds reach 74 mph.

But even as a tropical storm, Jeanne was powerful enough to cause havoc in Puerto Rico.

More than 1,000 people evacuated low-lying areas for shelters Wednesday as deluges of rain blocked roads, downed power lines and flooded homes throughout the U.S. Caribbean territory. Some 200,000 people also were without running water.

Police rescued one couple from a car stuck in rising floodwaters on a main highway in north-coast Rio Grande before the vehicle was swept away, authorities said.
"They got out through the window," emergency official Hector Rosa said.
Others were not so fortunate.

Lashing winds tore the roof from Margarita Rivera's house, flung her from a hammock and smashed her into the wall of a neighbor's house, said Mayor Angel Garcia of Yabucoa, the southeastern town where the storm's eye hit land. Rivera, who died, was 49.

In north-coast Vega Baja, 78-year-old Arturo Roman Crespo died instantly after falling from a roof where he was putting up storm shutters, police said. They also reported a man injured in the central town of Lares when a downed tree hit his car.
Agriculture officials said plantain, banana and coffee crops probably sustained major damage.

The storm plowed northwest across the middle of the island and exited near Vega Baja, said meteorologist Scott Stripling of the U.S. National Weather Service.

Jeanne dumped up to 16 inches of rain on Puerto Rico that could continue through Friday because the storm's tail extended far past St. Croix, in the U.S. Virgin Islands, said Rafael Mojica, a National Hurricane Center meteorologist.
About 50,000 people lost power in St. Croix, but half were back by evening, officials said. Airports in the U.S. Virgin Islands remained closed.

Jeanne is expected to skirt the northeast coast of the Hispaniola island, where floods in May killed more than 3,000 in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

The Dominican government evacuated hundreds of people Wednesday from the north coast and outlying island of Saona.

Jeanne is then expected to pass the 700-island Bahamas chain, recently battered by Hurricane Frances, the Hurricane Center said.
Wind gusts near 80 mph buffeted the mountainous interior of Puerto Rico, home to some 4 million people.

In Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, airports were closed and businesses shuttered. Wednesday night, people mobbed a Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor that was giving away ice cream that otherwise would spoil in the blacked-out Puerto Rican capital.

Jeanne became the 10th named storm of a busy Atlantic season Tuesday. Three major hurricanes have been through in two weeks -- Charley, Frances and the deadliest of them all, Ivan, which killed 68 people in the Caribbean.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
UHAJ_2.GIF

AccuWeather has it going straight across the state......I doubt that'll happen. I'm going to stick with the pros; hopefully their projected path will stay true. I don't want to go through another one of these, I don't want to miss anymore school, and I especially don't want to miss my trip to WDW this weekend.

Mimi04

Hello all,

I am new to this site, but I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and knowledge of WDW. I have found so much useful information! I am scheduled to visit WDW from 09/25 to 10/02 and am worried about Hurricane Jeanne. Do you think I should reschedule my trip?

Thanks,
Mia

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I wouldn't even think about it. At the moment, it's not going to make landfall in Florida, and if it does, it will be long gone by the time you arrive.

By the way....welcome to WDWMagic! :D

Tim G

Original Poster
Update Hurricane Jeanne

Jeanne Entering Dominican Republic

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

Attachments

• Puerto_ir_03_anim.gif
    Puerto_ir_03_anim.gif
    432.4 KB · Views: 133

Tim G

Original Poster
STORM STATUS - September 16, 1:43 PM EDT

Name: Hurricane Jeanne
Location: Inland, about 65 miles, 105 km, East-Northeast of Santo Domingo In The Dominican Republic.
Lat/Long: 18.8N, 69.0W
Max Winds: 75 mph
Category: 1
Heading: West
Speed: 7 mph
Pressure: 29.21 inches

SAMANA, Dominican Republic -- Jeanne grew into the sixth hurricane of the season and swept across the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic on Thursday, a day after pounding Puerto Rico with heavy winds and drenching rain that left millions without power, turned roads into rivers and killed two people.

Hurricane Jeanne was expected to hug the north coast of the Dominican Republic, sparing the country of 8.8 million from its 75 mph winds, but it was headed for the Bahamas, still struggling to recover from Hurricane Frances.

Forecasters said Jeanne could weaken back into a tropical storm later Thursday as a result of its brush with Hispaniola, then strengthen back into a hurricane Friday.

Uncertainty about Jeanne's path could have it anywhere from Cuba to the open Atlantic by Monday, meteorologist Hector Guerrero said. But he added it was possible it could reach into Florida and other southeastern states, which have already taken a pounding in a busy hurricane season.

More than 2,300 people in the Dominican Republic fled their homes and took refuge in shelters set up in schools and churches. Crashing waves lashed the island's north coast.

"It is over land as we speak ... right on Cabo Engano," said meteorologist Mike Tichacek of the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami. Cabo Engano, a small fishing and farming village was evacuated along with the outlying island of Saona and other towns.

Jeanne was a tropical storm with winds near 70 mph when it struck Puerto Rico on Wednesday, dumping up to two feet of rain on the U.S. territory. Homes were flooded, trees were snapped in two and power lines were blown down.

"A sudden storm hit us in an unexpected way and with a strength much greater than we had expected," Puerto Rican Gov. Sila Calderon told a news conference Thursday. "It left a wake of destruction that we now have to face."

Guerrero said the island could expect another 5-10 inches Thursday, threatening mudslides and more flooding.

About 3,600 Puerto Ricans remained in shelters, 38 roads were blocked, most of the 4 million islanders were without electricity and 600,000 were without running water, Calderon said.

Many rivers remained on the point of overflowing their banks, she said, and government offices were closed for a second day.

Police rescued one couple Wednesday from a car stuck in rising floodwaters before the vehicle was swept away, authorities said.
Others were not so fortunate.

In southeastern Yabucoa, Margarita Rivera, 49, was killed when winds tore the roof from her home and flung her from a hammock, Mayor Angel Garcia said.

In Vega Baja, 78-year-old Arturo Roman Crespo fell from a roof where he was putting up storm shutters and died, police said.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Jeanne was scraping along the Dominican coast about 65 miles east-northeast of Santo Domingo, the Dominican capital, moving just north of due west at 7 mph.

Hurricane-force winds were confined to a small area near Jeanne's center and tropical storm-force winds extended 70 miles.

A hurricane warning was posted for the southeastern Bahamas, and a watch for the central Bahamas. Haiti's north coast was under a storm warning.

In the U.S. Virgin Islands, which had flooding and strong winds, Gov. Charles Turnbull ordered schools closed for a second day Thursday.

Airports in the Virgin Islands reopened, but some roads were still blocked by fallen trees. Some on the island of St. Croix reported waist-high torrents inundating homes early Thursday.

Two prisoners escaped from St. Croix's Golden Grove Correctional Facility during the storm, officials said.
They were serving time for burglary and rape. Police said it was unclear how they escaped.

Tim G

Original Poster
15 Costliest Hurricanes To Hit U.S. Mainland

UPDATED: 6:58 pm EDT September 2, 2004

Note: All storms are hurricanes except Allison, which was a tropical storm.
Figures are inflation-adjusted to the year 2000.
The damage figures from the National Hurricane Center are based on insured property losses.

Hurricane,(Location), Year, Category, Damage
  1. Andrew (Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana), 1992, 5, $34.9 billion
  2. Hugo (South Carolina), 1989, 4, $9.7 billion
  3. Agnes (Florida, Northeastern U.S.), 1972, 1, $8.6 billion
  4. Betsy (Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana), 1965, 3,$8.5 billion
  5. Camille (Mississippi, Southeast Louisiana, Virginia), 1969, 5, $7 billion
  6. Charley (Southwest and Central Florida), 2004, 4, $6.8 billion *
  7. Diane (Northeastern U.S.), 1955, 1, $5.5 billion
  8. Allison (Texas), 2001, $5 billion +
  9. Frederic (Alabama, Mississippi), 1979, 3, $4.97 billion
  10. Unnamed (New England), 1938, 3, $4.7 billion
  11. Floyd (Mid Atlantic & Northeastern U.S.), 1999, 2, $4.67 billion
  12. Fran (North Carolina), 1996, 3, $3.7 billion
  13. Opal (Northwest Florida, Alabama), 1995, 3, $3.5 billion
  14. Alicia (North Texas), 1983, 3, $3.4 billion
  15. Carol (Northeastern U.S.), 1954, 3, $3.1 billion
Key:

* -- est. insured damages; 2004 dollars
+ -- 2001 dollars

aimster

Jeanne is back down to a TROPICAL STORM again. And current projected path shows it missing FL altohether and hitting South Carolina on Monday or Tueaday. And as before... yes I know that can change.

Imcindysal

Does anyone know where Disney's island is located? We'll be going on a cruise for our 30th anniversary - coming down Sept. 30th. The latest from the travel agent says the island will be "back up" Sept 30th from the previous hurricane damage. Now it looks like Jeanne might be a threat. We previously went on a cruise for our 25th anniversary and couldn't visit the island because of hurricane damage (I'm beginning to see a pattern here!) Our travel agent thinks the island is "somewhere in the Bahamas". Does anyone have any idea where it is? We're doing a cruise/land package and we're so looking forward to it (as is our daughter - 11 year old). Love the boards by the way!!

tmvanek

Supposed to leave tomorrow!

Hi everyone!
My husband, kids and I are supposed to leave tomorrow morning for a long-anticipated vacation to wdw (first trip for the kids). We are supposed to be there 9/18-9/25 at Wilderness Lodge.
I know Jeanne's path can change at any time but I'm so nervous about the accuweather prediction showing it cutting directly across the state. Does anyone know what happens if they close all of the parks for a few days, etc. We have ultimate park hopper passes so I couldn't carryover any unused days. I'm just wondering what they did in the past. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions.
Thank you!!

TURKEY

tmvanek said:
Hi everyone!
My husband, kids and I are supposed to leave tomorrow morning for a long-anticipated vacation to wdw (first trip for the kids). We are supposed to be there 9/18-9/25 at Wilderness Lodge.
I know Jeanne's path can change at any time but I'm so nervous about the accuweather prediction showing it cutting directly across the state. Does anyone know what happens if they close all of the parks for a few days, etc. We have ultimate park hopper passes so I couldn't carryover any unused days. I'm just wondering what they did in the past. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions.
Thank you!!
If you have UPH's you will be given a comp 1 day UPH for each day that all the parks are closed for the full day. The ones I've given out don't expire for 20 years.

wdwdavid

Driving down today to Disney (9/17-9/26)

Hello all,

I am leaving tonight to drive down to WDW from VA and i have my daughter, 2yrs, going for the first time. You think I should be worried about Tropical storm/hurricane Jeanne affecting my trip? I looked up the weather forcast for Orlando and it doesn't have it raining or show any signs of threat from Jeanne. Would you guys cancel or still go? Need your guys opinion, thanks for any suggestions.....

WDWDAVID

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I would be on the lookout, but I wouldn't worry about it. The latest 5am tracking map from the NHC has it missing FL all together.

And, if there's even the slightest chance that it would hit Orlando, there's no better place to ride out the storm than at WDW. :)

Tim G

Original Poster
Tropical Storm Jeanne Expected To Regain Strength

Updated: 08:24, September 17, 2004

After plowing through the northeastern Dominican Republic -- Jeanne has been downgraded to a tropical storm.

The storm prompted thousands to flee their homes -- a day after it pounded Puerto Rico and killed at least two people.

Jeanne is forecast to regain hurricane strength by Friday and move toward the Bahamas, a nation that was devastated earlier this month by Hurricane Frances.

Jeanne, which now has sustained winds of about 70 mph, is moving west at about 8 mph. Forecasters say there's a chance the storm could later veer toward the southeast United States, anywhere from Florida to the Carolinas. Forecasters say Eastern Cuba might also be hit.

At 11 p.m. CDT, the center of Tropical Storm Jeanne was located near latitude 19.4 north, longitude 69.7 west, or about 65 miles north-northeast of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

Jeanne ravaged Puerto Rico Wednesday when it was a tropical storm. It turned roads into raging rivers, snapped trees and killed two people. It has also left 200,000 residents without running water.

Jeanne is the 10th named storm to form in the Atlantic this tropical storm season, which began June 1. Four have hit Florida.

Hurricanes Charley and Frances caused up to $20 billion in damage to Florida and killed at least 50 people when they struck the state. Tropical Storm Bonnie caused minimal damage when it struck the Panhandle.

Tim G

Original Poster
Jeanne Weakens
Karl Develops In Atlantic!

UPDATED: 9:00 am EDT September 17, 2004

Storm Could Be Over Bahamas By Weekend

Tropical Storm Jeanne is still drifting near the coast of the Dominican Republic, a bit weaker than Thursday but poised to regenerate over more open water.

Thursday morning, Jeanne was centered on the north coast of the Dominican Republic at latitude 19.8 north, longitude 70.9 west. The storm is moving west-northwest at about 8 mph, and a mostly northwestward motion is expected during the next 24 hours.

Top sustained winds are at about 65 mph. More weakening is expected as the system interacts with land, but Jeanne could get stronger as it moves away.

The forecast track remains uncertain for the weekend. But the official forecast track showed Jeanne eventually moving more northwest and then north, making landfall at about Savannah next Tuesday evening.

Its status as a hurricane is also a bit uncertain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom