The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

Tim G

Original Poster
The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread (Heavy Graphics)

Although it's a bit premature... but a Tropical Storm is now buiding up slowly with a chance to become a Hurricane......

And as always with these storms... Y O U - N E V E R - K N O W

Official Name: Jeanne

MIAMI -- Tropical Storm Jeanne formed in the Atlantic Ocean Tuesday and was expected to hit Puerto Rico by Wednesday morning, bringing strong winds and heavy rain.

Jeanne could be packing sustained winds of 60 mph with higher gusts when it hits Puerto Rico and drop 9 inches of rain, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

"It's not the same as Ivan, but it is certainly threatening weather," hurricane center forecaster Rafael Mojica said. Hurricane Ivan, which was in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, killed at least 68 people in seven islands or countries in the Caribbean over the weekend.

Because of Jeanne, the hurricane center posted tropical storm warnings for Puerto Rico, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, St. Kitts, Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Marten. A storm watch covered Anguilla and some coastal sections of the Dominican Republic.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Jeanne had top sustained winds of 50 mph and is expected to strengthen, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said. It was centered about 100 southeast of St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands and was moving west-northwest at about 10 mph.

Forecasters predict the storm could hit or skim past the Dominican Republic on Thursday, Haiti on Friday and move over the eastern tip of Cuba or into the Bahamas by Saturday. There is a chance the storm could hit Florida early next week. Mojica said it could become a Category 1 hurricane with winds in excess of 74 mph by Saturday.

Jeanne is the 10th named storm to form in the Atlantic this tropical storm season, which began June 1.

Attachments

• JeannePath2.JPG
    JeannePath2.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 495

Tim G

Original Poster
Atta83 said:
OK i think I have the name straight now..... I hope she just drifts out into the ocean..
I think I had the same as you.. I kept sayin Jeannie.... but after 5 times reading I saw it was Jeanne...

But seriously.... lat's wait, and see what happens with this thing...

We have to... alas...

LadyDarling

Tahu said:
Why do the hurricanes have to keep picking on Florida this year?
Exactly... a co-worker today, when I mentioned the storm (sitting here, safe and DRY in southeren California where we are still a HUGE fire hazard and are discussing going into water rationing), said to me "What ancient god did they offend?!"

Best wishes that it dissolves before it gets to you folks.

MissM

Hurricanes are the new norm

Tahu said:
Why do the hurricanes have to keep picking on Florida this year?
It's actually a complicated series of small reasons that give the full answer to that question. Being a Florida resident, I researched this actually just the other day. (And wrote a lengthy article on my journal about it a couple entries back.)

In brief though, Hurricane seasons go through multi-decade cycles of high activity/high storm, followed by low activity/low storm over and over. Nature just follows patterns.

Florida has been in the low cycle for awhile now. In fact, we've been in a very, very low cycle. What's happening now is that we've come back into the higher cycle.

Most people who moved to Florida, and the vast majority of the coastal buildup and metropolitan growth has occurred during the low cycle. So people expected that this was the "norm." In fact, it's not.

The Atlantic has gone up in temperature between 1 and 2 degrees F which is enough to help usher in more - and stronger - storms. Also, the normally seen upper atmosphere winds that sheer across the storms and help break them up, have been all but nonexistant this season.

Weather patterns on the other coast (in the Pacific) also affect our weather and the guiding pressure flows that direct where the storms will go. Everything is just set up right now that Florida is a prime target again.

This cycle of higher activity is expected to continue for another decade or two. Weather experts deny that global warming trends are the problem, but simply, nature is returning to the other half of her storm cycle.

So........that's the gist of it. These storms aren't going anywhere. Florida's statistically overdue and, now being in the higher activity cycle, means a lot more seasons like this one.
-m

Stitchfan712

Wait....I posted about this last night and everybody's mad at me for being too premature in posting it, but today another thread comes up and everyone's okay with that?

:veryconfu

disneymoc

Stitchfan712 said:
Wait....I posted about this last night and everybody's mad at me for being too premature in posting it, but today another thread comes up and everyone's okay with that?

Welcome to the world of WDWMAGIC. :hammer:

No offense to anyone if I did.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Corrus said:
Official Name: Jeanne

:brick:

Damn hurricanes....November 30th can't come soon enough.

If Jeanne comes anywhere near West Palm Beach, I am flying out of here, to Boston, Atlanta, or Dallas, no questions asked. Frances was enough.

By the way....I really think that these threads should be in Chit Chat. I'm tired of seeing the News and Rumors forum flooded with hurricane topics.

nicholas

Stitchfan712 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Guess it just goes to show how fickle humans are.

Spectroman2003

I think you people are ridiculous for posting about this so soon. First of all, IVAN isn't completely gone yet and you're already jumping to another. Serioulsly, give it a rest.

Atta83

MissM said:
It's actually a complicated series of small reasons that give the full answer to that question. Being a Florida resident, I researched this actually just the other day. (And wrote a lengthy article on my journal about it a couple entries back.)

In brief though, Hurricane seasons go through multi-decade cycles of high activity/high storm, followed by low activity/low storm over and over. Nature just follows patterns.

Florida has been in the low cycle for awhile now. In fact, we've been in a very, very low cycle. What's happening now is that we've come back into the higher cycle.

Most people who moved to Florida, and the vast majority of the coastal buildup and metropolitan growth has occurred during the low cycle. So people expected that this was the "norm." In fact, it's not.

The Atlantic has gone up in temperature between 1 and 2 degrees F which is enough to help usher in more - and stronger - storms. Also, the normally seen upper atmosphere winds that sheer across the storms and help break them up, have been all but nonexistant this season.

Weather patterns on the other coast (in the Pacific) also affect our weather and the guiding pressure flows that direct where the storms will go. Everything is just set up right now that Florida is a prime target again.

This cycle of higher activity is expected to continue for another decade or two. Weather experts deny that global warming trends are the problem, but simply, nature is returning to the other half of her storm cycle.

So........that's the gist of it. These storms aren't going anywhere. Florida's statistically overdue and, now being in the higher activity cycle, means a lot more seasons like this one.
-m
I heard someone the other say blaming it on El Nino..we are not in that season. So then someone started to blame it on El Nina....O vey...what can one do... :rolleyes:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Spectroman2003 said:
I think you people are ridiculous for posting about this so soon. First of all, IVAN isn't completely gone yet and you're already jumping to another. Serioulsly, give it a rest.

Ivan is no longer a threat to South or Central Florida anymore.....I read somewhere here on the boards that this could follow a path similar to Frances (however, there have been other 'canes that have followed the same paths to hurricanes which have made landfall that never became a threat in the end).

Plus, I cannot believe I am saying this....but I am tired of missing all these days of school. I don't go back until Monday. :eek:

BeachClubVillas

I'm totally with whoever said to put these threads into Chit Chat. I'd love to see some real news and rumors when I sign on. I can learn about the hurricanes by putting on the news. :hammer:

GaryT977

I'd just like some time to get a generator system installed before the next one hits. I refuse to go that long without power again.

Stitchfan712

nicholas said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Guess it just goes to show how fickle humans are.

I almost resigned from the board because of how bad I felt after people's responses. :veryconfu I'm just continually surprised at some of the people here....jumping on me for a thread about Jeanne but letting someone else post one with no problem. What's the deal? :veryconfu

Atta83

Stitchfan712 said:
I almost resigned from the board because of how bad I felt after people's responses. :veryconfu I'm just continually surprised at some of the people here....jumping on me for a thread about Jeanne but letting someone else post one with no problem. What's the deal? :veryconfu

Just ignore it. Its over and done with. :dazzle:

Tim G

Original Poster
Errr... I didn't mean to offend anyone... didn't know another thread already existed...

And for premature posting someone did, the thread about "IVAN" also started veryearly...

I don't mind in which thread I'm posting, If I saw (read, better looked) I wouldn't have started this thread...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom