The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

Tim G

Original Poster
Tropical Storm Jeanne Discussion Number 15

Issued at: 4:28 AM EDT 9/17/04

Because the center is inland near the north coast of hispaniola, the reconnaissance plane did not penetrate the eye feature but it made a radar fix instead.
The crew reported that the eye was circular and roughly 15 n mi in diameter. Satellite images after the eclipse suggest that jeanne is not as strong as a few hours ago since the eye feature can not longer be observed and convection has weakened.
This weakening due to interaction with land was anticipated and in fact, it is kind of surprising that jeanne has kept such a well-defined cloud pattern after being over land for a about a day.
Initial intensity has been adjusted down to 55 knots based on a max wind from the recon of 63 knots.
It appears that jeanne will be interacting with hispaniola for 12 more hours and if survives, it could regain hurricane status as indicated in the official forecast. It is good to point out that, historically, not many tropical cyclones survive the path across the high terrain of hispaniola.

The tropical cyclone has been drifting between the west and west-northwest during the past few hours.
A subtropical ridge to the north will likely steer jeanne toward the west-northwest about 5 to 10 knots during the next 24 to 36 hours.
Thereafter, a strong trough located over the eastern united states and partially associated with ivan, will force jeanne to move toward the northwest or even north-northwest. In 4 or 5 days, the track forecast becomes highly uncertain. Most of the global models indicate that the trough will become replaced by a rather strong high pressure system which eventually would force jeanne westward.
This is basically the solution unanimously provided by the dynamical models and it is indicated in the official forecast.

It is too early to mention what portion of the southeast u.s. Coast may be threatened but long range guidance suggests a high risk all the way from Florida to the carolinas.

Forecast positions and max winds

Initial 17/0900z 19.5n 70.1w 55 kt 12hr vt 17/1800z 20.0n 70.9w 55 kt 24hr vt 18/0600z 21.3n 72.5w 65 kt 36hr vt 18/1800z 23.0n 74.0w 70 kt 48hr vt 19/0600z 25.0n 75.0w 75 kt 72hr vt 20/0600z 27.0n 76.0w 80 kt 96hr vt 21/0600z 28.5n 77.0w 85 kt 120hr vt 22/0600z 29.5n 80.0w 85 kt

Tim G

Original Poster
Tropical Storm Jeanne Advisory Number 16

Issued at: 10:41 AM AST 9/17/04

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for the island of hispaniola from le mole st nicholas haiti eastward to santo domingo.

A hurricane warning remains in effect for the southeastern bahamas, including the acklins, crooked island, the inaguas, mayaguana, and the ragged islands, as well as for the turks and caicos islands.

A hurricane watch remains in effect for the central bahamas, including cat island, the exumas, long island, rum cay, and san salvador.
Interests in the northwestern bahamas should monitor the progress of jeanne.

At 11 am ast, 1500z, the center of tropical storm jeanne was located near latitude 19.5 north, longitude 71.2 west. This position is inland over northwestern dominican republic near santiago and is about 140 miles, 225 km, south of grand turk island.

Jeanne is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 mph, 13 km/hr, and a turn toward the northwest is expected during the next 24 hours.
Maximum sustained winds are near 65 mph, 100 km/hr, with higher gusts. Jeanne has become a little less organized over land, but could regain hurricane strength during the next day or so as the center moves back over water and toward the bahamas.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 200 miles 325 km from the center.
Estimated minimum central pressure is 990 mb, 29.23 inches.
Storm surge flooding of 1 to 3 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected along portions of the coast of hispaniola in the warned area.

Rainfall accumulations of 9 to 13 inches, with isolated higher amounts, can be expected over the portions of hispaniola. These rains could cause life-threatening flash floods and mud slides. Additional rainfall accumulations are also likely over portions of puerto rice.
Isolated tornadoes are possible over puerto rico and the dominican republic.

Repeating the 11 am ast position, 19.5 n, 71.2 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 65 mph. Minimum central pressure, 990 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.
An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 2 pm ast followed by the next complete advisory at 5 pm ast.

Imcindysal

tigger248 said:
Welcome to the boards Imcindysal! :wave:

The location of castaway cay was discussed in the hurricane frances thread. Sloan posted a link to a map with the cay on it http://www.go-abacos.com/theabs/theab_map.html
For more info, the thread was http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=43722&page=5&pp=15&highlight=hurricane+frances I got this information off page 5 of that discussion. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the link and the info. I didn't check that hurricane thread since it wasn't going to affect us regarding our trip. I really appreciate it! :)

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
What the?!?!?!
171508W5.gif

Tim G

Original Poster
Update Hurricane Jeanne

West Atlantic I.R. Satellite

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

Attachments

• Puerto_ir_04_anim.gif
    Puerto_ir_04_anim.gif
    471.1 KB · Views: 182

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Just thought I'd pass this information along since Corrus hasn't..... Jeanne is now a tropical depression and has changed courses, now completely missing Florida. :D

at200411_5day.gif

Boo's Mom

I hope it misses Florida all together but it looks to be following the path of Isabel. Lord I hope not. Go away Jeanne! Go far far away!

Tim G

Original Poster
But...... on the other hand

at200411_strike.gif

I know there's only 5% probability (thank god) but... we're stll not 100% in the clear... they've been wrong before...

919Florida

According to this map it is going to miss Florida all together. I tend to like this map :) The National Hurricane Center's map shows the same thing too. Fingers crossed

strm11_strike_720x486.jpg

MouseMadness

Well, first I am glad that it *looks* like, for now, people are going to be safe! And also, it looks like... I"m goin to Disney World!! :sohappy: *crosses fingers*

Mikejakester

Hey guys, Glad to be back, been reading all your post on the hurricane,for those who care, I just got power back last friday. (which was a lot of time considering this was just a tropical storm) Anyways, That freaking thing ripped right thru us, But thankfully it was just a tropical storm and damages where not all that great. Things are practically back to normal today Monday. I'll try to post pictures later on photo album once I get settled down.

Take care ppls! :wave:

Erika

Mikejakester said:
Hey guys, Glad to be back, been reading all your post on the hurricane,for those who care, I just got power back last friday. (which was a lot of time considering this was just a tropical storm) Anyways, That freaking thing ripped right thru us, But thankfully it was just a tropical storm and damages where not all that great. Things are practically back to normal today Monday. I'll try to post pictures later on photo album once I get settled down.

Take care ppls! :wave:

Glad to know you are ok! :wave:

tigger248

I am so glad that this thing is spinning out in the ocean and not really going anywhere at the moment. I just read that Jeane has so far killed at least 622 in Haiti. Such devastating news. :(

General Grizz

919Florida said:
According to this map it is going to miss Florida all together. I tend to like this map :) The National Hurricane Center's map shows the same thing too. Fingers crossed

strm11_strike_720x486.jpg
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :eek:

Stupid snail hurricane...

WDWScottieBoy

General Grizz said:
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :eek:

Stupid snail hurricane...

Grizz, I was watching the news last night and it's been showing Jeanne heading northeast now. I don't think we'll be seeing it go anywhere near the US at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom