The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

aimster

tahu said:
Why do the hurricanes have to keep picking on Florida this year?

Revenge for screwing up in 2000.

I'm not even going to deal with worrying about this one just yet. It's still way too early to say exactly what Jeanne will do... but it looks like it'll probably skim up the east coast of FL or something like that. I could turn into a hurricane, but it could also stay a tropical storm. It could also suddenly fizzle out as quickly as it formed.

Stitchfan712

No that wasn't the issue Corrus i was just surprised that people got mad at me for posting a thread on Jeanne so early and accused me of trying to scare people, but when someone else posted about it nobody had a problem....it confused me. Nothing against you at all. anyway, your thread is appropriately titled. My local weatherman called it "Joanna" and that's the name on my thread title, later corrected, but still. Please continue discussion here since the mood in the other thread isn't very nice. :dazzle:

MissM

Atta83 said:
I heard someone the other say blaming it on El Nino..we are not in that season. So then someone started to blame it on El Nina....O vey...what can one do... :rolleyes:
Both do affect the hurricane season and Florida's likely impact:

Storms are more likely to gather in the Atlantic during La Niña years, when surface temperatures in the eastern, tropical Pacific Ocean drop by a couple of degrees, which reduce west-to-east winds across the Caribbean Sea and tropical Atlantic.

In 1995, for example, there were 19 named Atlantic storms, four of which hit Florida.

The reverse is true for storm season activity during El Niño years, when eastern, tropical Pacific Ocean temperatures rise. In the 1997 El Nino year, there were seven named storms, none of which hit Florida.

This year is considered neutral — there are neither La Niña or El Niño conditions, although a weak El Niño is forming. It's expected to have little affect this hurricane season.

An El Niño, especially a strong one, increases west-to-east winds across the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic. Such winds, opposite to the east-to-west winds that push hurricanes across the tropics, create shear, which weakens or destroys hurricanes. (source: USA Today)
So it's a really complicated situation. There are multiple factors that go into play with hurricane development, the strength and number of the storms and whether or not Florida ends up as a target.
-m

nicholas

Just out of curiousity....IF this one does turn into a hurricane, is there a projected date as to when it might be hitting?

Atta83

MissM said:
In 1995, for example, there were 19 named Atlantic storms, four of which hit Florida.

I remember that year well. Man our charts in school for tracking were so colorful:)

Atta83

nicholas said:
Just out of curiousity....IF this one does turn into a hurricane, is there a projected date as to when it might be hitting?
As of right now the cone has it hitting no where. it is expected to take a turn to the north missing florida and hitting farther north.

nicholas

Atta83 said:
As of right now the cone has it hitting no where. it is expected to take a turn to the north missing florida and hitting farther north.
*selfishly wipes the sweat from his brow in relief*

12 days til WDW. Was getting nervous about Jeanne.

Tim G

Original Poster
nicholas said:
Hitting?? That's really too soon...

There are som dates and times on the previous posted map

Jekyll Baker

MissM said:
In brief though, Hurricane seasons go through multi-decade cycles of high activity/high storm, followed by low activity/low storm over and over. Nature just follows patterns.

Florida has been in the low cycle for awhile now. In fact, we've been in a very, very low cycle. What's happening now is that we've come back into the higher cycle.

Most people who moved to Florida, and the vast majority of the coastal buildup and metropolitan growth has occurred during the low cycle. So people expected that this was the "norm." In fact, it's not.

The Atlantic has gone up in temperature between 1 and 2 degrees F which is enough to help usher in more - and stronger - storms. Also, the normally seen upper atmosphere winds that sheer across the storms and help break them up, have been all but nonexistant this season.

Weather patterns on the other coast (in the Pacific) also affect our weather and the guiding pressure flows that direct where the storms will go. Everything is just set up right now that Florida is a prime target again.

This cycle of higher activity is expected to continue for another decade or two. Weather experts deny that global warming trends are the problem, but simply, nature is returning to the other half of her storm cycle.

So........that's the gist of it. These storms aren't going anywhere. Florida's statistically overdue and, now being in the higher activity cycle, means a lot more seasons like this one.
-m
MissM, I agree and have heard similar.

I had read an article in Reader's Digest, probably 15-20 years ago, about the earth's weather/climate. In the article, it said that the global climate followed a cycle of about 1000 years (plus or minus a century) of normal weather - strong storms, severe temp's, etc., followed by about 100 years of what we consider nice and calm weather. It also said the earth was nearing the end of its current abnormal (nice) weather.

And yes, the article made enough of an impression on me that I can still remember it.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
nicholas said:

I've heard early next week....and if it does actually hit Florida, that sounds like the right time, because of where it is located right now.....

peter11435

Atta83 said:
I heard someone the other say blaming it on El Nino..we are not in that season. So then someone started to blame it on El Nina....O vey...what can one do... :rolleyes:
Actually, the NWS just said today that we are entering El Nino

The Mom

Premium Member
BeachClubVillas said:
I'm totally with whoever said to put these threads into Chit Chat. I'd love to see some real news and rumors when I sign on. I can learn about the hurricanes by putting on the news. :hammer:

Believe it or not,when they're put in chit chat,they start to spillover into this forum any way!!!

People start threads asking whether WDW is going to be affected, can I change my reservations, will I be safe at WDW, are the parks still going to be open,,,and so on.

Tim G

Original Poster
NemoRocks78 said:
I've heard early next week....and if it does actually hit Florida, that sounds like the right time.....
The RIGHT time Nemo???

It's never the right time for hurricanes!... or could it be that I don't understand what you're saying. :D

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Corrus said:
The RIGHT time Nemo???

It's never the right time for hurricanes... or could it be that I don't understand what you're saying

I didn't mean it like that....I meant that it seemed like the right time to hit (if it was going to), because of where it is now. I'll go ahead and edit that right now to make it more clearer. I certainly don't want another hurricane to hit here.

Hope that clears up any confusion. :)

Figment1986

we are just entering el-mino?? Thats strange....

(Can we stop missing school... i already have to makeup one day.... and so does half the counties around me too...)

nfeagle5

NemoRocks78 said:
:brick:

By the way....I really think that these threads should be in Chit Chat. I'm tired of seeing the News and Rumors forum flooded with hurricane topics.

Exactly..NEWS..thats why its in this section....to inform and adress concerns

-Adam

nfeagle5

BeachClubVillas said:
I'm totally with whoever said to put these threads into Chit Chat. I'd love to see some real news and rumors when I sign on. I can learn about the hurricanes by putting on the news. :hammer:

Yea....because deadly hurricanes arent news at all, they ar more like things to follow as hobbies :drevil: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom