The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

kucarachi

Am i missing something here? i love the old stuff as much as the next person here, but the disneyland version might be charming but it definately is sort of a snoozer compared to the under new management one. Yes Iago is annoying and the guy who does the voice is an idiot who should not be allowed anywhere near kids....but it was a little bit funny the first few times.

I see a lot of people snoozing when the disneyland version is on.....just saying. i hope its a brand new imagining and not something that is too campy. I would love to see a 3D Tiki room with some cool new effects with some water, smoke, smell events such as philharmagic!

WDWGoof07

Am i missing something here? i love the old stuff as much as the next person here, but the disneyland version might be charming but it definately is sort of a snoozer compared to the under new management one. Yes Iago is annoying and the guy who does the voice is an idiot who should not be allowed anywhere near kids....but it was a little bit funny the first few times.

I see a lot of people snoozing when the disneyland version is on.....just saying. i hope its a brand new imagining and not something that is too campy. I would love to see a 3D Tiki room with some cool new effects with some water, smoke, smell events such as philharmagic!
That's fine...but I must respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room is a charming and witty masterpiece from the original masters.

"These be the last friendly words you'll hear..." ;)

The Duck

A 3-D Tiki Room? As in, MORE screens???:eek::eek::eek: :lol:

MarkTwain

A lot of people snooze during Spaceship Earth, American Adventure, and the Carousel of Progress too, but that doesn't mean they're not great attractions. ;)

I'll take a classic, sincere, and well-meaning attraction over a sarcastic, insulting, and annoying one any day, even if the former requires paying a bit more attention...

markc

That's fine...but I must respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room is a charming and witty masterpiece from the original masters.

It maybe charming and witty in the sense of it being an "oldie", but it certainly is a snoozefest, if surveying the actual guests is any indication. Everytime I'm in the Disneyland attraction (about once a month), there are always a good amount of guests either sleeping, walking out, or generally un-interested.

Regardless if you're a fan of the original or not, its blatantly obvious that the old show is no longer relevant from an entertainment standpoint for modern audiences. IT will be interesting to see how they alter the show at WDW to try to achieve this.

Spike-in-Berlin

I know that I'm asking for a miracle but I would LOVE to see the return of the Barker Bird! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT7uaKSio2U On my first visit back in 1975, he was the main reason why the Tiki Birds were the very first attraction that we saw.

You are right. I would love to see it come back to. And of course the original pre-show. However, as the UNM-preshow was of course designed to fit to the new management I am sure at least the old pre-show will have to come back.

"Aloha. I don't know what it means but I love the sound. Aloha! Come to the Tiki Room. Fly to the Tiki Room..." :wave:

Spike-in-Berlin

Yes you are missing quite a lot. Especially how most people thought about Iago. I talked to the CMs, they hated him too and they told me that UNM the tiki room was less popular than the "snoozing" original. And there will always be some people snoozing in a show. WDW is exhausting and especially with the heat and humidity outside some people snooze away quite fast. I saw people snoozing in Finding Nemo - The musical, in The Little Mermaid Show, in a lot of slow rides and shows. What counts is however that a HUGE fandom is excited about the nearly original coming back. Even people who didn't like it first when it was still running discovered later with the "New Management" spoiling the attraction how lovable and beautiful the original was and miss it now.

I guarantee you there will be long lines when the original comes back, or better the new version which will be very similar to the original but perhaps they do a real plussing this time, the UNM-"plussing" was a disgrace to the original. I have no problem with new effects as long as the show remains itself, e.g. increase the storm outside, bring in more water and fire as both are central elements of Tiki culture.

Spike-in-Berlin

I hope stitch's great escape catches fire so we can have alien encounter agin.

I am sure only very few people will miss SGE but Alien Encounter will not come back. It was too scary for children and even some adults. If SGE goes something else would come. But SGE will not go as Disney is kind of Stitch crazy.

Thrill Seeker

I am sure only very few people will miss SGE but Alien Encounter will not come back. It was too scary for children and even some adults. If SGE goes something else would come. But SGE will not go as Disney is kind of Stitch crazy.

If that happened, I'm sure it would just get replaced with a new attraction...

Thrill Seeker

Yes you are missing quite a lot. Especially how most people thought about Iago. I talked to the CMs, they hated him too and they told me that UNM the tiki room was less popular than the "snoozing" original. And there will always be some people snoozing in a show. WDW is exhausting and especially with the heat and humidity outside some people snooze away quite fast. I saw people snoozing in Finding Nemo - The musical, in The Little Mermaid Show, in a lot of slow rides and shows. What counts is however that a HUGE fandom is excited about the nearly original coming back. Even people who didn't like it first when it was still running discovered later with the "New Management" spoiling the attraction how lovable and beautiful the original was and miss it now.

I guarantee you there will be long lines when the original comes back, or better the new version which will be very similar to the original but perhaps they do a real plussing this time, the UNM-"plussing" was a disgrace to the original. I have no problem with new effects as long as the show remains itself, e.g. increase the storm outside, bring in more water and fire as both are central elements of Tiki culture.

My big problem with Under New Management was that some of the jokes were poking fun of the original show. The original has been gone for so long that those jokes aren't even funny... It's definitely a good thing the original (or at least a modified version of the original) is returning!

kucarachi

while i get the nostalgia and love for the original times have moved on. it is very hard to get my kids interested in any disney cartoon that isnt pixar...in fact they dont even look at it for more than 5 seconds without asking for toy story or cars. Does that mean peter pan, aladdin, or the lion king stink....no but they cant hold up to the vivid colors of the CGI age. I think disney has done a good job of adding new while keeping the old, but rides such as Snow White, Peter Pan, and the country bear jamboree need to either be modernized or replaced to be an attraction instead of something to cross off your list or worse something to do while waiting for a fastpass. I cant see putting all kinds of money into the tiki room just to make it 55 years behind the times story and technology wise.

gerryu21220

I cant see putting all kinds of money into the tiki room just to make it 55 years behind the times story and technology wise.

The Enchanted Tiki Room opened at Disneyland on June 23, 1963. It's only 48 years old, not 55. It was the first Audio-Animatronic show in the world, and it is still running today (albeit in a shortened version). There certainly must be something to this popular Classic, otherwise it would have closed decades ago.

It's not so much about nostalgia as it is about quality. When I first saw it as the "Tropical Serenade" at WDW in 1978, it instantly became one of my all-time favorite attractions. It really had to be good if I was willing to spend my limited supply of cash to buy the soundtrack record album on the way out of the park.

In 2005, the soundtrack was fully restored and digitized, and the technology completely updated, so it can no longer be said that the technology is "behind the times."

Spike-in-Berlin

My big problem with Under New Management was that some of the jokes were poking fun of the original show. The original has been gone for so long that those jokes aren't even funny... It's definitely a good thing the original (or at least a modified version of the original) is returning!

That was something that actually enraged me when I sat there during my first and last visit to the Tiki Room UNM when I still had to cope with the fact that they didn't even let the Tiki Room song untouched. I hated those insulting jokes about Walt's favorite attraction. And I hated Iago. I was so glad and felt a lot of Schadenfreude when I heard the AA was destroyed by a fire. :D

Spike-in-Berlin

The Enchanted Tiki Room opened at Disneyland on June 23, 1963. It's only 48 years old, not 55. It was the first Audio-Animatronic show in the world, and it is still running today (albeit in a shortened version). There certainly must be something to this popular Classic, otherwise it would have closed decades ago.

It's not so much about nostalgia as it is about quality. When I first saw it as the "Tropical Serenade" at WDW in 1978, it instantly became one of my all-time favorite attractions. It really had to be good if I was willing to spend my limited supply of cash to buy the soundtrack record album on the way out of the park.

In 2005, the soundtrack was fully restored and digitized, and the technology completely updated, so it can no longer be said that the technology is "behind the times."

That quote was not by me but by kucarachi.

Spike-in-Berlin

while i get the nostalgia and love for the original times have moved on. it is very hard to get my kids interested in any disney cartoon that isnt pixar...in fact they dont even look at it for more than 5 seconds without asking for toy story or cars. Does that mean peter pan, aladdin, or the lion king stink....no but they cant hold up to the vivid colors of the CGI age. I think disney has done a good job of adding new while keeping the old, but rides such as Snow White, Peter Pan, and the country bear jamboree need to either be modernized or replaced to be an attraction instead of something to cross off your list or worse something to do while waiting for a fastpass. I cant see putting all kinds of money into the tiki room just to make it 55 years behind the times story and technology wise.

To start with, MK is not a kids park. It's a park for guests of all ages, a park for families and as such I don't think that every single attraction must be focused on todays children. But children are a MINORITY among the guests, a large one but a minority. Most guests at WDW and the MK are 14 years or older.The Tiki room has fans that include every age from children (as a kid I loved the thunderstorm effect) young adults (I am now a thirtysomething) to grandparents. If young children don't like it, no problem, there are dozens of other attractions that are more interesting for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom