The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

The Duck

I hope that this isn't too far off topic but this whole scenario makes me think about the "New Coke" fiasco of the 80's. In the early 80's, Coca-Cola announced that they were changing the formula of Coke. Shortly after, "New Coke" was thrust upon the people and most instantly hated it. "Why did they mess up something as classic as Coke?", people were crying. After a few years, Coca-Cola announced that they had made a mistake and they brought back the original product as "Coke Classic". Sounds familiar? BTW, New Coke tasted a lot like Pepsi.

wickedfan07

Oh please I've been here far too long to be called a "troll".

Then why bother to pick out little details like clearly accidental misspellings in other people's posts? Just curious. :wave:

That's an interesting comparison to Coca-Cola. The only difference is that it took a fire for Disney to do anythingwith this attracion. If not for Iago being fried, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion right now because it didn't look like Disney was interested in doing anything with this attraction regardless of what people thought of it. And Disney isn't apologizing for the UNM version (though they probably should). Hopefully they realized that nawkward movie tie-ins get old after about a decade, and maybe we can avoid this situation in the future (though probably not).

Reading back into the threatd a little farther, I think it would be cool to have a Barker Bird back at the attraction. Especially with the Living Character technology being used all over the place, this could be a really effective application for such a system. (Maybe the old Barker bird already didthis, I have no idea, but either way, it could be really cool!)

Spike-in-Berlin

Don't get me started on FastPass. :fork: It's one of the worst things that's happened to the parks. In relation to the topic at hand, I really want the original show to come back, but we all know they're gonna make a much shorter version with only a few things going back to the original attraction.

I have to confess that's a point of view I cannot understand at all. Fastpass ist the greatest invention since the wheel and anyone who doesn't like it either doesn't understand the system or doesn't know how it was before FP. I cannot fathom what brings people up against FP.

UrbanDonovan

This is why there should be an age requirement for the internet.

This is also the same kid who once stated that the LaL tombstones should always stay in the EPCOT entrance plaza because they were there on the park's opening day, so........yeah.

Back on topic, I always loved the original Tiki Room show, but to me, it doesn't really matter what the new show is going to be. It's not like it could be any worse than UNM. When you're at rock bottom, the only direction you have to go is up! :)

Banksy

-ahem- cough cough... Typing Master Milner Martin here.

He appears to have misspelled "Take" in which the letter "L" is on the right side of the letter "K" in which he was either typing too fast or his finger slipped and didn't notice it.

Please respond if you are looking through my post to see if I misspelled anything. :p

:D:D:D:D:D

Don't even bother responding to this person, as the replies kind of suggest that they ARE a child attempting to look older. :animwink:

IWant2GoNow

I have a request for those who can make the opening day of this "new" show.

Please go! Show your support for this good Disney decision and maybe they'll start making more of them! :)

gerryu21220

Seems like their way of saying "The Disneyland version is coming to WDW" without saying that. Its digital and ready to go.

What do you mean by digital?

It was remastered with modern digital tech (2000s!) while the original was with 1960s tech.

Oh, well that much most Tiki Room fans already knew. While it's a technical, behind-the-scenes improvement, it didn't fundamentally change the show itself (beyond the editing).

I misinterpreted "Its digital and ready to go." to mean that:

1. The show itself was going to be a digital presentation, i.e. video screens, projections, and the like, and/or

2. That all the original WDW animatronics had already been restored and/or rebuilt and literally ready to install or had been reinstalled, as if they could merely drop it in place.

Unfortunately, it won't be the original show - only something "reminiscent" of the original. So it isn't "ready to go." :( I would much prefer to see the original show return, intact - just as I saw it last in 1997. I would love it if they could add in the Disneyland Pre-show which is significantly better than what Florida got, but that ain't gonna happen either. :cry:

trr1

I hope that this isn't too far off topic but this whole scenario makes me think about the "New Coke" fiasco of the 80's. In the early 80's, Coca-Cola announced that they were changing the formula of Coke. Shortly after, "New Coke" was thrust upon the people and most instantly hated it. "Why did they mess up something as classic as Coke?", people were crying. After a few years, Coca-Cola announced that they had made a mistake and they brought back the original product as "Coke Classic". Sounds familiar? BTW, New Coke tasted a lot like Pepsi.
yes it was not very good
I didnt think it was years but months so i looked it up on line

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209828
"On July 11, Coca-Cola yanked New Coke from store shelves"
and here
http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/heritage/cokelore_newcoke.html
"To hear some tell it, April 23, 1985, was a day that will live in marketing infamy.

That's the day The Coca-Cola Company took arguably the biggest risk in consumer goods history, announcing that it was changing the formula for the world's most popular soft drink, and spawning consumer angst the likes of which no business has ever seen.

The Coca-Cola Company introduced reformulated Coca-Cola®, often referred to as "new Coke®," marking the first formula change in 99 years. The company didn't set out to create the firestorm of consumer protest that ensued; instead, The Coca-Cola Company intended to re-energize its Coca-Cola brand and the cola category in its largest market, the United States.

That firestorm ended with the return of the original formula, now called Coca-Cola classic®, a few months later. The return of original formula Coca-Cola on July 11, 1985, put the cap on 79 days that revolutionized the soft-drink industry, transformed The Coca-Cola Company and stands today as testimony to the power of taking intelligent risks, even when they don't quite work as intended."

Buried20KLeague

I sincerely hope that part of the refurb is to move the entrance of the attraction toward the main artery between JC and PoTC.

I think that, along with some burning tiki torches and a couple interactive elements viewable from that pathway would do wonders to help the attraction's attendance.

:shrug:

Mickey_777

I have to confess that's a point of view I cannot understand at all. Fastpass ist the greatest invention since the wheel and anyone who doesn't like it either doesn't understand the system or doesn't know how it was before FP. I cannot fathom what brings people up against FP.

Hey maybe some people are into waiting in long lines and suffering thru the heat. Some people like eating toilet paper too...

Spike-in-Berlin

Hey maybe some people are into waiting in long lines and suffering thru the heat. Some people like eating toilet paper too...

Yes, all those little joys in life. I remember it was really great fun to wait 45 minutes for the JC in the baking hot sun in humidity levels close to a steambath.
How boring it is today, stupid FP lets me on the ride in less than 5 minutes, kinda taking out the fun of cueueing. :D

RSoxNo1

I have a request for those who can make the opening day of this "new" show.

Please go! Show your support for this good Disney decision and maybe they'll start making more of them! :)

What I think may happen is what happens in Disneyland. Things like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln get a surge from the locals when it first opens and then it's one and done - they don't return for the attraction. They like that the attraction is there but it doesn't bring in the guests.

I feel that the Tiki room is another attraction like that - guests don't like it until it's gone.

Yes, all those little joys in life. I remember it was really great fun to wait 45 minutes for the JC in the baking hot sun in humidity levels close to a steambath.
How boring it is today, stupid FP lets me on the ride in less than 5 minutes, kinda taking out the fun of cueueing. :D

But then you miss the greatest Jungle Cruise joke of all, the serpentine line!

Slowjack

I'll explain. The problem is that you make the classic mistake people make in matters of economics, what Bastiat called the difference between what is seen and what is unseen. What is seen here: you have a ticket that allows you to board a ride in two minutes instead of a standby line of forty minutes. What is unseen: the use of fastpass is what makes the line forty minutes long, and without it, it might be half that. And unless you are able to get FP for every ride that uses it, your stand-by times will be affected.

If everyone were able to make equal use of FP, everyone's average wait would be the same as without FP. That's just the way the math works. When you factor in potential extra time spend getting the pass, walking back to use the pass, etc., it could even be a net increase in wait times.

Now, guests do not use FP equally. Some use it more and do actually benefit, some use it less, or not at all, and suffer. To the extent that anyone likes FP, they do so because they are in the first category, or believe that they are.

Which is fine, I guess. But you shouldn't say that FP is a system that improves things for all guests, because it doesn't. You should say that you like it because it's a game you think you can continue to win. Those of us who are against FP are people who would rather not play.

Krack

I'll explain. The problem is that you make the classic mistake people make in matters of economics, what Bastiat called the difference between what is seen and what is unseen. What is seen here: you have a ticket that allows you to board a ride in two minutes instead of a standby line of forty minutes. What is unseen: the use of fastpass is what makes the line forty minutes long, and without it, it might be half that. And unless you are able to get FP for every ride that uses it, your stand-by times will be affected.

If everyone were able to make equal use of FP, everyone's average wait would be the same as without FP. That's just the way the math works. When you factor in potential extra time spend getting the pass, walking back to use the pass, etc., it could even be a net increase in wait times.

Now, guests do not use FP equally. Some use it more and do actually benefit, some use it less, or not at all, and suffer. To the extent that anyone likes FP, they do so because they are in the first category, or believe that they are.

Which is fine, I guess. But you shouldn't say that FP is a system that improves things for all guests, because it doesn't. You should say that you like it because it's a game you think you can continue to win. Those of us who are against FP are people who would rather not play.

Wow, well said.

RSoxNo1

This is an excellent analysis. Having said that, another thing Fastpass accomplishes though is it gives Disney an answer for the #1 complaint at the theme parks, long lines.

The usage of Fastpass in Disney World is more widespread because the comprehension of how to use Fastpass is lower than it is in Disneyland. Disneyland is closer to the scenario you described where more people understand the system and use it efficiently. This is a function of casual tourists vs. locals. It's not the only reason why Disneyland shies away from Fastpass (space is another big one).

For me, I love Fastpass - as someone that studied operational efficiency it's a very interesting system. I do feel that it's not utilized to it's full potential though, and it also points out problems regarding how some parks are under built. If you look at something like Toy Story Mania - an obvious Fastpass problem, it identifies the lack of family friendly high demand attractions in a park that only has 6 rides. However people point to Fastpass as the sole reason behind the long waits for that attraction when it's simply not the case.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Just a suggestion stop whining about it then, and calculate how much free time that generates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom