The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

WDWGoof07

Can you elaborate? I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with the original version, as it closed when I was 9 years old.

The Disneyland version of the show removed "Barcarolle" from Jacques Offenbach's opera, "Tales of "Hoffmann". The birds whistled the melody during this section and while the piece was quite pretty, it left some of the guests squirming in their seats and occasionly walking out in mid-performance. The walk outs and the declining attendance prompted Imagineering to develop "Under New Management". When Disneyland removed this musical number (as well as bits of the dialogue), it left the Tiki Birds with a much tighter and enjoyable show.
The Duck explained it very well. As I recall, it really put the "serenade" in "Tropical Serenade" - this scene was mostly just about hearing the birdies sing. I was quite young when the original show closed, too; so it's possible I could be missing something else that might have been going on during the song. Nevertheless, I've always liked the Offenbach scene just for the singing and the music. It was all very relaxing and beautiful, which I actually did appreciate as a youngster. People nowadays are just too antsy for their own good, and it's a shame that this pretty piece was a casualty of the modern-day theme park mentality of relaxing=boredom.

Is there a video on Youtube of the Tiki Room show with the Offenbach number included???
You can search "Offenbach tiki room" on YouTube, and one video comes up. The audio is pristine, but unfortunately the video is not complete. What is there does make me think that my recollections are correct about the focus of this scene being the birdie serenade.

puntagordabob

Methinks this means they will be taking out the Offenbach number like they did at Disneyland.

Thats my guess as well... and it would be the correct choice imho

Burning down "under new management" was the work of the Gods. They will now be pleased.

Yep! My brother kept asking me if I was at the MK the day it happened (insinuating I might of had something to do with it)...lol fortunately for me I was a couple hours away hehehe ....

WDW makes the RIGHT Tiki move :sohappy: Mahalo

Once again "Under Walt's Management".......

Ok people they are not keeping Uh-oh-ah so quit it.

Enchanted Fountain for the WIN!

I do think a cameo appearance by iago and zazu would be ok though.

ONLY on a Pin Release! :) hehehehe otherwise I say NO WAY JOSE!

puntagordabob

Though we all knew it was coming... hearing it OFFICIALLY now from Disney is "WONDERFUL" news.......

As many of you know for many many years now I have been a constant Cheerleader (Ok Ok maybe I have been a pain in the butt!!!!) for the bringing of the Disneyland version to WDW....many of you have read as to WHY (my earliest Magical memory of WDW was of the Tiki Room in 71/72 and it has always been my favorite Disney show with Jose as my alltime favorite character!) too....

So many people told me I was wasting my time... that Disney would never ever do it.... but this was a personal Dream of mine (and I am sure some of you out there either share this dream or perhaps have some of your own that are similar)... but I followed my heart and always chased my Dream even when some people likely laughed at my posts for so long.... so when they say WDW is the place Where Dream's Come True sometimes they DO!

Thank you to all those at Disney who helped make this happen.... I dont care about all the politics etc that went on behind the scenes...... I am simply greatful and very very appreciative.

jt04

Though we all knew it was coming... hearing it OFFICIALLY now from Disney is "WONDERFUL" news.......

As many of you know for many many years now I have been a constant Cheerleader (Ok Ok maybe I have been a pain in the butt!!!!) for the bringing of the Disneyland version to WDW....many of you have read as to WHY (my earliest Magical memory of WDW was of the Tiki Room in 71/72 and it has always been my favorite Disney show with Jose as my alltime favorite character!) too....

So many people told me I was wasting my time... that Disney would never ever do it.... but this was a personal Dream of mine (and I am sure some of you out there either share this dream or perhaps have some of your own that are similar)... but I followed my heart and always chased my Dream even when some people likely laughed at my posts for so long.... so when they say WDW is the place Where Dream's Come True sometimes they DO!

Thank you to all those at Disney who helped make this happen.... I dont care about all the politics etc that went on behind the scenes...... I am simply greatful and very very appreciative.

Congradulations and I am suprised but it sounds now like a lot of people missed the show and Disney has made a great decision. Enjoy. :wave:

aladdin2007

Also, the tiki goddess was the subject of quite a few complaints believe it or not, as little ones ( really little ones) were scared to death of her, or so I was told. But Ive noticed that first hand myself as well through a few showings over the past decade. Of course the thunderstorm can scare the younger set too, I remember being terrified of the storm as a kid but now its my favorite part :wave: Anyway, Polynesia's time has come to be gone. She was an amazing animatronic though. I wonder if she will be implemented into the preshow somehow instead and maybe toned down a bit.

belle119821

Also, the tiki goddess was the subject of quite a few complaints believe it or not, as little ones ( really little ones) were scared to death of her, or so I was told.

That goddess freaked me out. When I saw UNM I was about 7. All I can remember about her was the creepy glowing red eyes! I'm sure I would have appreciated how technically amazing she was, but I think I just hid until she went away. I'm sure there were other kids who were equally scared, especially if they were much younger.

aladdin2007

That goddess freaked me out. When I saw UNM I was about 7. All I can remember about her was the creepy glowing red eyes! I'm sure I would have appreciated how technically amazing she was, but I think I just hid until she went away. I'm sure there were other kids who were equally scared, especially if they were much younger.

Exactly, I think I was shocked by her, I couldnt believe that was in the tiki room when they added her. Course that was kinda a different time period, during the alien encounter days. The MK today is becoming much more kiddyfied compared to the 90s.

gerryu21220

Don't get too excited just yet. Disney says only that it will be "reminiscent" of the original show, not that the original show itself will be returning.

I must say I'm shocked at how many here can't remember the original show! It was virtually identical to the orginal in Disneyland, but with a different pre-show and slight differences in decor. The soundtrack was the very same one from the Disneyland show (prior to the current, truncated version playing now). It was one of Walt's originals, and the quality and charm really shone through. UNM was a total disgrace.

I hope they do bring back the original show as it was, but somehow I doubt it. Somehow TDO will screw it up. Just look at what they've done to The Haunted Mansion.

One change I would like to see is them bringing the Disneyland pre-show in. The WDW original pre-show was quite a disappointment by comparison.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Didn't they say that what is replacing it will be "resembling" the ride??

If they did, then that could mean ANYTHING.. from Stitch, to the "Get to the Fever" from Tokyo... :hammer:

puntagordabob

Don't get too excited just yet. Disney says only that it will be "reminiscent" of the original show, not that the original show itself will be returning.

Seems like their way of saying "The Disneyland version is coming to WDW" without saying that. Its digital and ready to go.

Biff215

It probably won't happen, but I think it would be cool to include some different song "combinations" much like the new Star Tours is doing. While it would take longer to program initially, it would give everyone a reason to see the show more than once while still showcasing what it's all about in the first place...the birds. I welcome the return of the original show, but fear it will get old eventually as some clearly felt the first time around. Any thoughts?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Didn't they say that what is replacing it will be "resembling" the ride??

If they did, then that could mean ANYTHING.. from Stitch, to the "Get to the Fever" from Tokyo... :hammer:

Perhaps you should read the blog post. It states:

"reshape the attraction into a version reminiscent of the original show."

the-reason14

I know that I'm asking for a miracle but I would LOVE to see the return of the Barker Bird! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT7uaKSio2U On my first visit back in 1975, he was the main reason why the Tiki Birds were the very first attraction that we saw.

I never seen him before, but I think it would be nice to have it back. I know they had him at Disneyland or something similar, but I remember reading reports about them getting rid of it because it was a huge distraction with it being a 'huge innovation' back in it's day. Either way, I'd like to see this. Kinda makes me want to see the old parrot back over at Potc too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom