The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

HornsofaSteer

I don't remember seeing the original, but I think you're right. What was in the middle, a fountain? I also wouldn't be surprised to see her remain in the new show.

I was thinking it was a fountain as well. In addition to her cost, that whole center piece is probably much different electronically than it was when it was a fountain. Perhaps inner structurally too. In a way I kind of hope she stays, I think that was the only thing I liked from UNM. Not that I didnt like the fountain, I just thought she was cool. :)

JLW11Hi

In a way I kind of hope she stays, I think that was the only thing I liked from UNM. Not that I didnt like the fountain, I just thought she was cool. :)

Agreed! She was the best addition to the new show, in my opinion. And if she didn't get any damage from the fire, they might as well keep her. It will be very interesting to see how they re-tool the attraction. I love the idea that they are going for a more classic feel, yet still updating it in some way. (versus exactly replicating the original show)

Skyway

First of all, I can understand why they're ditching the "Tropical Serenade" title. It needlessly adds confusion. The most casual guest knows it as "the tiki room" and even the opening sentence welcomes the audience to "the enchanted tiki room".

I assume the name "Tropical Serenade" was part of the original sponsorship with Florida Citrus Growers (along with "Sunshine Pavillion", adding to the confusion).

Was the phrase "Tropical Serenade" mentioned in the original pre-show? It certainly wasn't in the main show. If so, maybe the name change means there will be an altered (or, unlikely, new) pre-show that would justify the "reminicient" comment.

I agree with others that "reminiscent" probably means no Offenbach (and maybe even another number eliminated or shortened?). Probably no fountain. Maybe the tiki goddess during the crecendo of the War Chant where the fountain used to reach the ceiling?

Most worrisome, however, are rumors that the birdmobile got water-damaged. Would they dare eliminate that?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Hannah Montana is long gone!

Well... it was replaced by "Shake it up" if that makes a difference! :p

It's about time Disney does something actually good... anyone gotta match? I'm ready to light Imagination, Stitch, Narnia and Sounds Dangerous on fire. :goodnevil

danv3

I'm just back from Disneyland, where I watched their Tiki Room a good five or six times. What a great show. I hope WDW's ends up very similar to Disneyland's. I could take or leave the goddess in the center.

The Duck

Can you elaborate? I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with the original version, as it closed when I was 9 years old.

The Disneyland version of the show removed "Barcarolle" from Jacques Offenbach's opera, "Tales of "Hoffmann". The birds whistled the melody during this section and while the piece was quite pretty, it left some of the guests squirming in their seats and occasionly walking out in mid-performance. The walk outs and the declining attendance prompted Imagineering to develop "Under New Management". When Disneyland removed this musical number (as well as bits of the dialogue), it left the Tiki Birds with a much tighter and enjoyable show.

Captain Neo

When Tropical Serenade first opened at WDW in the 1970s was it an exact clone of the original Disneyland Tiki Room or was it always abit different?

The "under new management" thing was fine for a few years in the late 90s to cash in on Iago and Zazu but it waaayyyy overstayed its welcome.

Wow. Sooo glad. :sohappy::sohappy: Just saw the original today at DL. Wonderful show. Using the tiki goddess in the middle could be interesting.... And yeah, they're probably taking out Offenbach like y'all have said.

However, as much as we like to strongly dislike him, Iago probably didn't deserve to be ruined. It wasn't his fault the Disney people decided to put him there. My sympathies go to his family and friends..

Anyway, can't wait to see WDW's preshow for this. It should be interesting to see after seeing only DL's over and over and over and over...

The Duck

I was thinking it was a fountain as well. In addition to her cost, that whole center piece is probably much different electronically than it was when it was a fountain. Perhaps inner structurally too. In a way I kind of hope she stays, I think that was the only thing I liked from UNM. Not that I didnt like the fountain, I just thought she was cool. :)

There was indeed a fountain in the center. I can remember reading here (and elsewhere) a while back that the tiki goddess was rumored to also be destroyed. She was supposed to be ruined not by fire but by the sprinklers. There was also a post claiming that the plumbing for the fountain was still intact underneath leading to speculation that the fountain may return.

LongtimeReader

I would love to see the Tokyo Stitch version here though, not trolling at all either. It looks awesome.

Unless you are crazy about SGE, there is almost no way you could think Stitch Tiki Room is awesome. It's borderline intolerable. (yes, I've seen it in person.)

montyz81

There is an "Angry Birds" play here somewhere. I just can't figure one out because there has never been pigs in the Tiki Room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom