The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm sorry! I concur. The weather wasn't nice today, it was another busy busy day, and I'm so so so fed up with the bike store. We ordered DS's bike on good Friday, DH asked when we would get it..if we'd have it by the next Friday. The guy said that, well, maybe, but to allow till the next tuesday because of the Easter weekend. So we waited, and heard nothing, but we had just gotten DD's bike through them 2 weeks before, and something had supposedly gone wrong with the call to tell us it was ready, so we thought maybe the same thing happened with DS's, and I decided to just go by. So we went by on the Wednesday and they said it had just come in the day before, so they hadn't had time to put it together yet. It was in a box...it wouldn't be done before the next day. So I waited until Friday....still nothing. So I called before I left work to pick up DS....figured we could stop on our way home. The guy says that he doesn't really know anything...he can have his colleague call me when he's available in about 30 minutes. But by that time, it would be too late. I'd be on my bike and not able to answer the phone. So then we called again, the next Monday...they are closed on Mondays. So we called Tuesday, and DH was told this guy didn't have access into the files to look up if it was done or not. DH asked for the other guy to call him back. No one called. Friday, DH went by on his way home from picking DS up from chess. The guy says "Oh, we just got this one part in today, so it's not installed yet. DH said they should have at least called us to let us know what was going on! He says "Well, hasn't there been any contact?" DH says, "Not from YOU guys!" and then the other guy that we kept getting on the phone looks all sheepish...he was apparently supposed to call us about the part, but didn't....but then, did he never relay the message for the other guy to call us the week before? So then the guy called on Saturday and asked if we were home, but we were in Eindhoven, an hour and a half away. So he promised to deliver the bike late this afternoon. I worked until 2:30, picked DS up at 3, ran by the doctor's office to get the referral for the autism organization, then went grocery shopping and rushed home so I'd be there when the bike got there. I didn't dare cook, because I can't hear the door if I'm in the kitchen. So I waited and waited...DH got home, still hadn't heard anything. So he calls, they hang up on him "accidentally", he calls back and they say they'll be here in 10 minutes....20 minutes later, they finally bring the bike....and they didn't install the lock we paid for. So now I have to go by tomorrow after work on my way home from picking DS up to have them install this stupid lock that they've had 3 and a half weeks to install, and I don't buy the "It just got here yesterday" excuse. That's nothing but an "Oh, carp....here are the people and we should have had this done.....tell them it just came in". and it's a bit too coincidental that they used that excuse twice, and they couldn't call us to let us know....why? What, your phone only works on incoming calls?? If DS didn't need the bike so desperately, I'd tell them to stuff it and I'd go buy one somewhere else.
Rant over. Thank you for listening.
Sympathy like.

21stamps

Last soccer post- I promise.

@dryerlintfan (and anyone who’s been reading my crazy) Just to explain what T plays, he’s in a soccer academy club.. it’s a business like I haven’t seen.. so different than my select soccer days growing up (we didn’t call them “clubs” back then, and they weren’t half as intense as now. ).. they give scholarships to college thru the club, and also many players receive scholarships from colleges and universities. I’m not it in for the potential scholarship... the math doesn’t work out in the favor of that being worth it. ;)

Anyway, there’s different levels (I think 4or5?) in that kind of soccer, the tryouts are for all levels, and they receive an offer based on their skill, or no offer at all. The two highest levels are Premier and Elite. They travel the most, are in national tournaments, tend to have the best coaches, and have extra training available to them...even at U8 they get treated like little professional players. It’s been a non stop commitment since making the team last Fall..technical training, futsal, indoor..etc.

T received an offer for Premier, which as of now is only travel within about a 3 hour radius.. but in U10 (he’s U9 now) it becomes a lot of out of state travel as well, and it only gets more time consuming from there.

Ok, just wanted to explain what he’s doing and why I’m stressing about going down that road or cutting the chord before we lose any semblance of our lives as we know them. ;)

I wish that kind of time commitment was left to gymnasts and dance teams.. but in the current era of youth sport craziness.. kids must commit year round and travel if they want to excel/play with other competitive players.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I need the gif that @Cesar R M always posts, with Bugs bunny holding a brick and shaking his head no. Nope nope nope.
here you go!

FyDrU44.gif

MouseDreaming

:cry:After a series of MRIs and blood work and wicked bad pain for the past few months it has finally been determined I have a tear in my hip joint. This past week has been so bad, I've been almost confined to a chair and sleeping because it hurts to lay down for long. Steps are almost a no go. :grumpy:
Oh no! Hopefully now that they seem to know the cause, the docs can get to the fixing it part.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We'll likely do that when she's older too. I hadn't thought about that. Right now all of her friends have zoo passes and she's perfectly content just going with me. I keep forgetting that a time will come when she'll rather hang out with her friends :cry::cry:

Hopefully she will always want to hang out with her mom. Even when I was middle/high school age I loved just hanging out and going places with my mom. Sometimes even more than being with my friends. I'm very grateful for all the time I was able to spend with her, hopefully your little one will feel the same about you.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hopefully she will always want to hang out with her mom. Even when I was middle/high school age I loved just hanging out and going places with my mom. Sometimes even more than being with my friends. I'm very grateful for all the time I was able to spend with her, hopefully your little one will feel the same about you.

I can also relate to this. Memories . . .

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Possible arthroscopic surgery. At this point I'm ready for it.

They're doing amazing things with arthroscopic surgery. Sounds like you're on the right track here. Go for it!

I've done P.T. and maxed out cortisone shots so praying for surgery.

Yah, they can only give you so many cortizone shots, and then that's it. As for P.T. it is helpful for many people, but often, it's not quite enough--especially in cases like yours.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think what really helps me with this is remembering that the kids, for the most part, don't need any of it. They don't need you to orchestrate activities for them,... they need to be bored and use their creativity to fill the gaps.

I smiled when I read that, because I recall my mother saying that kids will often have more fun playing with the empty boxes that the toys came in, even more than the toys, themselves. :joyfull: And as a kid, I didn't get bored too often, but I always figured out something goofy to do. Sometimes, my brothers and I would build forts in the basement out of furniture, old blankets, tables, etc. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I don’t know if he’s actually getting better, or worse... only because of the nerves, I’m only talking about game play when I say “worse”. He made the team even with being nervous at tryouts, and he’s great in practice. But I think my main concern after seeing the change in him during the indoor session, is IF I want to make this kind of financial investment, as well as time investment, going forward.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll recieve an offer after tryouts again, I know he will.. I’m not saying this as a parent, but he does have great soccer skills. This is why I want him to have a great team and great coaching. However, we’re talking several thousand dollars per year.. especially next year when travel is required more often. I’d like input from the coach on why he thinks T gets nervous in games now, and how we can correct it. I do believe that playing thru it is the most important part.. but with this season almost over and only 1 game played as far before I register to try out for next season., I just don’t know what to do!! Me and T are the only ones who can make that decision, but I’d like to hear from a professional, which is what the coach is.. he knows more than me and I’m sure he’s seen kids go thru this before.

There’s so many pros and cons to playing with a large club in the first place.. I know some parents who have regretted it in the end... but to spend that money/stress/time and have a kid who gets nervous in games? I don’t think I’ll allow it.. so either I help T figure it out, or I need to stop this before the investment becomes something that we both regret. We could just go back to outing and out of town trips that are going to become few and far between as he gets older and has more and more tournaments.

I don’t know... I think right now I just wish someone else could make this decision for me.
Last soccer post- I promise.

@dryerlintfan (and anyone who’s been reading my crazy) Just to explain what T plays, he’s in a soccer academy club.. it’s a business like I haven’t seen.. so different than my select soccer days growing up (we didn’t call them “clubs” back then, and they weren’t half as intense as now. ).. they give scholarships to college thru the club, and also many players receive scholarships from colleges and universities. I’m not it in for the potential scholarship... the math doesn’t work out in the favor of that being worth it. ;)

Anyway, there’s different levels (I think 4or5?) in that kind of soccer, the tryouts are for all levels, and they receive an offer based on their skill, or no offer at all. The two highest levels are Premier and Elite. They travel the most, are in national tournaments, tend to have the best coaches, and have extra training available to them...even at U8 they get treated like little professional players. It’s been a non stop commitment since making the team last Fall..technical training, futsal, indoor..etc.

T received an offer for Premier, which as of now is only travel within about a 3 hour radius.. but in U10 (he’s U9 now) it becomes a lot of out of state travel as well, and it only gets more time consuming from there.

Ok, just wanted to explain what he’s doing and why I’m stressing about going down that road or cutting the chord before we lose any semblance of our lives as we know them. ;)

I wish that kind of time commitment was left to gymnasts and dance teams.. but in the current era of youth sport craziness.. kids must commit year round and travel if they want to excel/play with other competitive players.

I definitely don't mean to sound naysayer about this, because it sounds like both you and T have a passion around the sport, but man that sounds like a lot of work for a child!! I'm not looking forward to that level of sports commitment at that young of age. What you're describing I'd expect for maybe high school age, lol.

I think you should trust your instincts. And I could be wrong but it sounds like your instincts are to wait another year.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I smiled when I read that, because I recall my mother saying that kids will often have more fun playing with the empty boxes that the toys came in, even more than the toys, themselves. :joyfull: And as a kid, I didn't get bored too often, but I always figured out something goofy to do. Sometimes, my brothers and I would build forts in the basement out of furniture, old blankets, tables, etc. :)

We grew up dirt poor but were never really bored. We found old video cameras and made our own movies, we wrote and performed plays for our parents, we built forts and dug tunnels, we did all kinds of things. And when there was absolutely nothing to play with, we went creeking, lol.

donaldtoo

I know that what you said isnt "opinion". I was talking "opinion" as in your post.

As for the Comet. Since the engines are INSIDE the wings(as in part of it), do not they count as "part of the fuselage" in general terms? or just "part of the wings" ?

As for poop, I agree.. but in the comet section.. everything was new to them.
If I read correctly, it was the first plane to use composites, to use full pressurization.. and the first ones to get tests for stress, fatigue, which were unknown factors at the time.

It was a huge stepforward towards the modern airplane.

For the Boeing 737 engines. It seems the engines had fatigue and the maintenance guys either didn't review the engine correctly, or completely disregarded the damage because of pressure by higher ops to get the engines stamped for operation as quick as possible.

Speaking of things.. I was actually angry as hell when they started to blame the maintenance on Mexico. Claiming the maintenance, planes, etc.. are all "****". They shut up pretty fast when Foxnews finally mentioned that the maintenance of these engines are done in El Salvador if I remember correctly. Still, little has to do with the country in question and the management decisions on security, speed, reviews..etc..

Sounds to me like we're both saying pretty much the same things here.

As far as the Comet engines go, as I posted before, they were at the wing root and not part of the fuselage.
Here is a Wiki article and a pic...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom