Star Tours II

jt04

Original Poster
Lots of truth.
ST2 has been ready and waiting for a while now. TDO put it on hold last summer, and has shown no indication that they are ready to move on it.
Totally true.
The part about their decision not to move forward yet having an impact on DL? Haven't heard that for sure, but it definately sounds right.

My guess is that someone put a hold on TDO's development of ST2 last summer and stopped the development. Could be many possibilities as to why; creative, technical, restructuring etc.

They will move on it when they are allowed to move on it.

TP2000

Lots of truth.
ST2 has been ready and waiting for a while now. TDO put it on hold last summer, and has shown no indication that they are ready to move on it.
Totally true.
The part about their decision not to move forward yet having an impact on DL? Haven't heard that for sure, but it definately sounds right.

Thanks for the confirmation Lee.

It's totally understandable that East Coasters might be annoyed at Al Lutz's comments regarding Team Disney Orlando decisions. But if the information from Lutz is accurate, as it seems to be from several good sources, then why shoot the messenger?

The same basic plotline was laid out by Lutz this week as well when it comes to WDW's shelved version of The Little Mermaid E Ticket.

At least Al Lutz didn't go super-snarky on Orlando. He just kind of laid out the reasons why Star Tours 2.0 is delayed for Disneyland, and that reason lies out in the Sunshine State instead of the Golden State.

A shame for Disneyland that it won't be here for the 55th Anniversary though. Thank God this financial setup wasn't also required to get Little Mermaid built in DCA, or that would be another major attraction on hold in California due to Florida drama. And yet we can be thankful that there is such a thing as Tokyo Disneyland that is owned by a different group who may end up funding what Orlando has backed out on. :)

WDW1974

Lots of truth.
Totally true.

It does ... just an example of why One Disney isn't the cure for what ails P&R, just another form of the illness.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

TP2000

What a surprise, Lutz is dissing WDW. :rolleyes:

For the record, Al Lutz was just telling what the holdup was behind Star Tours 2 for Disneyland and it involves decisions by Orlando executives to delay the attraction in WDW.

And Lee just confirmed that version of the story for us here, so it seems Lutz was accurate. Let's just be thankful we've got some insiders providing us juicy information and not shoot the messenger. :)

Here's the text that mentions Orlando, although I can't believe that anyone would consider it as "dissing". "Dissing" is slang for "disrespectful", and I'm not getting that type of sentiment from this stuff from Al Lutz. Honest and insightful, yes. Disrespectful? Not so much...

"The revamped Star Tours 2.0 was to debut in spring, 2010 as part of Disneyland's 55th Anniversary celebration, with a nearly identical version planned to open in Walt Disney World around the same time. But when the Orlando executives, who are a notoriously tough sell when it comes to investing in new attractions, put the brakes on not only Star Tours 2.0 but also most other major attraction additions in Florida, it threw the carefully crafted budget into disarray.

The large production and facilities installation budget was created by WDI on the ability to spread the costs between two properties, but with Walt Disney World backing out of the plan last year with no current interest in rejoining the project, the Disneyland version that TDA still wants is now left up in the air. And people wonder why I frequently have Orlando in my cross-hairs.

Luckily, the folks at WDI have been in frantic contact with the Oriental Land Company to try and sell Tokyo Disneyland on paying for the version once destined for Orlando. While the Oriental Land Company has yet to sign on the dotted line, negotiations are looking positive, and the new version of Star Tours may be able to debut simultaneously in Anaheim and Tokyo for the 2011 summer season."
- Al Lutz, Miceage, March 3rd 2009

WishIwasThere

That stinks...:brick: Why would they do that. Star Tours is one of the most dated rides in the park. What happened to them using the Body Wars simulators for the development of ST2.

jt04

Original Poster
For the record, Al Lutz was just telling what the holdup was behind Star Tours 2 for Disneyland and it involves decisions by Orlando executives to delay the attraction in WDW.

And Lee just confirmed that version of the story for us here, so it seems Lutz was accurate. Let's just be thankful we've got some insiders providing us juicy information and not shoot the messenger. :)

Here's the text that mentions Orlando, although I can't believe that anyone would consider it as "dissing". "Dissing" is slang for "disrespectful", and I'm not getting that type of sentiment from this stuff from Al Lutz. Honest and insightful, yes. Disrespectful? Not so much...

"The revamped Star Tours 2.0 was to debut in spring, 2010 as part of Disneyland's 55th Anniversary celebration, with a nearly identical version planned to open in Walt Disney World around the same time. But when the Orlando executives, who are a notoriously tough sell when it comes to investing in new attractions, put the brakes on not only Star Tours 2.0 but also most other major attraction additions in Florida, it threw the carefully crafted budget into disarray.

The large production and facilities installation budget was created by WDI on the ability to spread the costs between two properties, but with Walt Disney World backing out of the plan last year with no current interest in rejoining the project, the Disneyland version that TDA still wants is now left up in the air. And people wonder why I frequently have Orlando in my cross-hairs.

Luckily, the folks at WDI have been in frantic contact with the Oriental Land Company to try and sell Tokyo Disneyland on paying for the version once destined for Orlando. While the Oriental Land Company has yet to sign on the dotted line, negotiations are looking positive, and the new version of Star Tours may be able to debut simultaneously in Anaheim and Tokyo for the 2011 summer season." - Al Lutz, Miceage, March 3rd 2009

That stinks...:brick: Why would they do that. Star Tours is one of the most dated rides in the park. What happened to them using the Body Wars simulators for the development of ST2.

"They" didn't. Lutz is not telling the entire story because he doesn't have a clue what is actually going on. That is all I will say except......don't be a sucker for his politics.

WDW Insider

TP2000 said:

For the record, Al is full of you-know-what on this one. My guess is he totally made this story up since not a single person who's been involved with the project would believe this trite. The VAST majority of money for Star Tours 2.0 has already been spent in making the CGI film, the audio, etc. There is no holdup for the Disneyland update, nor is there any holdup for the same update in DHS. Even if, for some insane reason, the update was scrapped for DHS it wouldn't affect DL by any amount whatsoever.

And Lee just confirmed that version of the story for us here, so it seems Lutz was accurate. Let's just be thankful we've got some insiders providing us juicy information and not shoot the messenger.

Lee said the thing has been finished and has been sitting there (referencing the film). This is true. The latest film has been finished for the past couple of months. It has not been finished for years or anything like that, and if I'm not mistaken, we even had a public leak about that when a CGI artist revealed what was being worked on after Indy IV.

Al Lutz said:

Baloney. I'm not going to reveal anything here, but the premise is false. And then Al is mistaken in that this is not a new attraction, this is a refurbishment, of which the largest part of the refurbishment is already done. Even if some insane DHS exec didn't like this idea, he would be overridden... and no DHS exec is going to turn down Star Tours 2.0. Does anyone really think that they would put AIE in there and spend that kind of money, but turn down a ST refurb? Good grief.

Al obviously doesn't understand the way WDI works. First of all, most of the money has been spent, and the money that has been spent was on the film. It's done. The remaining money is allocated in the two parks operating budgets and is already scheduled. This money is used to refurbish the attraction buildings, queue lines, and synchronize the simulators... if DHS did want to do a bare-minimum refurb, they could. They don't. But if DHS, once again for some insane reason, decided to pull out (they'd be overridden from the top and its really not even realistic), DL would still refurb the ride and the film would still go in.

He's making this stuff up. He's just some guy with a good imagination who probably does get some inside information from time to time. However, when he pulls this anti-WDW PR crap out of nowhere, he needs to be refuted.

Luckily, the folks at WDI have been in frantic contact with the Oriental Land Company to try and sell Tokyo Disneyland on paying for the version once destined for Orlando. While the Oriental Land Company has yet to sign on the dotted line, negotiations are looking positive, and the new version of Star Tours may be able to debut simultaneously in Anaheim and Tokyo for the 2011 summer season." - Al Lutz, Miceage, March 3rd 2009

This is so stupid. WDI does not "sell" attractions. And what does he think? That WDI has a warehouse of stuff for the attraction they're going to sell to TDL? Good grief.

The film's already done and paid for. Al's just taking you all on a wild goose chase for geese that don't exist.

- WDW Insider

SirGoofy

Thanks for all the info you've given out tonight, Insider.:wave:

Glad to hear I was right about Al big full of...well you know.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee said the thing has been finished and has been sitting there (referencing the film). This is true.
Thanks for the backup there.:wave:
I went back and re-read my post and feel that I need to clarify it.
I wrote "The part about their decision not to move forward yet having an impact on DL? Haven't heard that for sure, but it definately sounds right." That "for sure" part makes me sound like I had heard the story about WDW passing on ST2 and it affecting DL. Not the case.

Let me rephrase what I said:
I surely have not heard that the delay in the project for DHS was in any way having an impact on DL. However, knowing that the project is ready to roll, and hasn't, what Lutz said is possible to some extent.

WDW Insider said:
if DHS did want to do a bare-minimum refurb, they could. They don't.
Like MK and Space Mountain? Hmmm? Anything to share there?;)

ST2 will come at some point. No question. I personally think it should already be underway, but what do I know....:shrug:

tirian

And yet, people are saying that with this rebranding that things are looking good... Things are looking the same to me...

IMO, things are exactly the same because the top exec hasn't changed. But if Rasulo were replaced with someone Lasseter personally approved—or if Rasulo magically became a creative tour de force overnight—the new One Disney strategy would work. Too bad that's not the case. :(

bgraham34

This is an attraction I don't even ride anymore. Now I am a big Star Wars fan and it is too dated for me and I am not a fan of the virtual rides.

jt04

Original Poster
May not be cheap, but it'll be worth it:cool:

Yes. ILM rarely if ever fails. Quality defined and definitely Lucas' greatest accomplishment and legacy.

PS- Could someone please ask ILM to update the web site? :ROFLOL:

Guess they are busy.:animwink:

tirian

Yes. ILM rarely if ever fails. Quality defined and definitely Lucas' greatest accomplishment and legacy.

PS- Could someone please ask ILM to update the web site? :ROFLOL:

Guess they are busy.:animwink:

Yeah, Lord knows his legacy isn't turning out consistently good films...compare "Empire Strikes Back" to "Howard the Duck."

GothMickey

Insider, can you give some details about what is planned and what the movie is going to be focusing on? Since the movie will be replaced, is it true about the screens on the side of the vehicles? Is Rex still going to be the pilot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom