Star Tours II

tirian

I will agree it is a walk on, but, I will disagree with the popularity. I think it has lost its popularity. My last trip I walked right on. There were no guests waiting to board one of the simulators. And when we were able to board, very few people were on the previous ride.

Like everything else at the Studios, the time of day affects wait times more than at any other park. Even in the middle of summer, TOT and RNRC are consistently slow in mid-afternoon (the IJSS/LMA/Parade block).

I agree with everyone else that the ride is extremely unimpressive and outdated, but it does still draw in numbers.

jt04

Original Poster
Like everything else at the Studios, the time of day affects wait times more than at any other park. Even in the middle of summer, TOT and RNRC are consistently slow in mid-afternoon (the IJSS/LMA/Parade block).

I agree with everyone else that the ride is extremely unimpressive and outdated, but it does still draw in numbers.

I rode it recently and it is dated and desperately needs to be refurbed but the "fun factor" is still there. I can't wait for the 21st century version.

DoctorPrius

Correct. We can thank other people for making ESB a fantastic film, although George did a pretty good job with TLH and ROTJ.

There are parts of the prequels that are enjoyable but as a whole they fall apart. I think part of the problem in at this point is his career George Lucas had surrounded himself with a bunch of yes-men and he didn't have anybody like a Kershner or Kasadan to come in and offer up better ideas or tell him when he was veering off course.

Also, while i'm not 100% on this it seems to me like Lucas had a different direction he wanted to take the prequels but because of the huge fan outcry after TPM he focused more on jedi action and big crazy CGI battles in the next two movies instead of ironing out the story. That's why it seems like TPM (despite the fact that it's basically a 90s childrens film set in the SW universe) has the most coherent plot of the prequels.

Oh and i'm sure you already know this but ROTJ actually had 2 different directors. Lucas came in halfway through production because he felt the director wasn't taking the story where Lucas wanted it to go.

Either way, I really hope they do go foward with Star Tours II and soon!

WDW Insider

Lee said:
Like MK and Space Mountain? Hmmm? Anything to share there?

I've already shared a little bit about that refurb, but I can't go into much more detail at this time. The timeframe (which is wishful thinking) should let you know it's not going to be as great a change as the DL change though.

WDW1974 said:
You keep using the term 'refurbishment' which I find a bit odd as that's something I'd put on par with Small World or even the recent CBJ closure. This is something that's been presented to me (and others) as much more extensive as that. The whole ride 'experience' will be different ... to me, that makes it more 'extensive' than Space Mountain's cleaning and track work.

It's considered a refurb, just like Space Mountain is considered a refurb, just like Haunted Mansion and PoTC are considered refurbs, etc.

WDW is incredibly stale except for DAK, which unfortunately is suffering greatly in the ops dept. under Val Bunting alleged leadership.

Still the #1 tourist destination in the world. Needing some newness? Sure. Stale? Only if you've been coming since 1974 :) ... and probably not really even then.

Is this going to cost what a new attraction would? Of course not. But it certainly isn't a simple refurb.

As far as physical refurbishments go, its a breeze. It's getting to the physical part that has been a pain in the derrier.

I am convinced they have no firm plan for their 40th anniversary and beyond because they are so kneejerk fiscally conservative and reactionary.

It's a big company. We don't kneejerk.

The whole point of ONE DISNEY is to supposedly spread out costs by doing things like TSMM in multiple locations. That was the whole reason why Mermaid was brought up for MK (and now DLP).

Which is why a very expensive CGI film is going in multiple parks, and nobody in WDW managment could stop it at this point, even if they wanted to. They might could have said in 2005, "We don't want to proceed with this," but its way too late at this point.

TP2000 said:
Al Lutz has said that Star Tours 2 will involve StormRider in-cabin effects plus a new attraction technology that uses random plot twists and in-cabin animatronics that interact with selected audience members. For me, that puts it way beyond simple rehab and film swap.

I'm inclined to believe Al Lutz and his generally excellent track record, as well as a few very respectable insider sources here that have been a part of this community for years. And the info from those sources all seems to point in the direction that the info Al Lutz presented on Tuesday regarding Star Tours 2 is accurate.

Al got that information from a guy who was posting information on Disney World forums like this one. Don't know where he got his information, but he was right about some stuff and really wrong about other things. He scared the crap out of us with some stuff that made it look like he was leaking information, but then he'd post some nutty stuff about autograph books that made us think he just could guess really well. That's all I'll say. Obviously Al didn't take his salt.

- WDW Insider

Lee

Adventurer
I've already shared a little bit about that refurb, but I can't go into much more detail at this time.

Sigh...can't = won't.:rolleyes:

WDW Insider said:
He scared the crap out of us with some stuff that made it look like he was leaking information
And that would be so bad because......?

Mildly OT....Anybody ever see the Redford movie "Sneakers". Key phrase in that film was "Too Many Secrets."
I'd really like someone to fully explain to me the point in keeping theme park information secret. Information gets closely guarded, everything is hush-hush, heaven forbid the fans know what we're up to.
Even the competition. So what if Disney Park X knows what Uni is up to? Or vice-versa. It's not like trade secrets are involved, or even that any kind of reactionary steps would be taken.
I don't get all the secrecy. It's just kinda....silly.
Or maybe it's just me. I say let everybody know everything.:shrug:

tirian

There are parts of the prequels that are enjoyable but as a whole they fall apart. I think part of the problem in at this point is his career George Lucas had surrounded himself with a bunch of yes-men and he didn't have anybody like a Kershner or Kasadan to come in and offer up better ideas or tell him when he was veering off course.

Also, while i'm not 100% on this it seems to me like Lucas had a different direction he wanted to take the prequels but because of the huge fan outcry after TPM he focused more on jedi action and big crazy CGI battles in the next two movies instead of ironing out the story. That's why it seems like TPM (despite the fact that it's basically a 90s childrens film set in the SW universe) has the most coherent plot of the prequels.

Oh and i'm sure you already know this but ROTJ actually had 2 different directors. Lucas came in halfway through production because he felt the director wasn't taking the story where Lucas wanted it to go.

Either way, I really hope they do go foward with Star Tours II and soon!

Re: RotJ: yes, and now we know people ghost-wrote New Hope, too. I wonder if he even made THX 1138 on his own.

EDIT: BTW, I'm honestly impressed by how Lucas created his own universe; he's the first person since Tolkien and Lewis to do such a great job (though nowhere near their genius). I'm ready to see Star Tours updated!

DoctorPrius

Al got that information from a guy who was posting information on Disney World forums like this one. Don't know where he got his information, but he was right about some stuff and really wrong about other things. He scared the crap out of us with some stuff that made it look like he was leaking information, but then he'd post some nutty stuff about autograph books that made us think he just could guess really well. That's all I'll say. Obviously Al didn't take his salt.

- WDW Insider

You know what I think? I think you are that REdisney guy back for round two.

If you want us to believe you tell us what quarter of the year Star Tours will close down for refurb. Give us a hint of an upcoming announcement. Otherwise there is no point in you proclaiming yourself an insider and trying to undermine people who are critical of Disney management.

TP2000

That's the first thing I thought when he alluded to the previous ReDisney posts. It's all entertaining, so I don't really care.

It's all extremely entertaining, that's what keeps me posting. It's better than TV, that's for sure. :lol:

As for Star Tours, I went on it today at Disneyland just because it's been awhile and with all this talk I wanted to experience it again. People here are saying the WDW version needs a rehab badly. Is that because it's just a dated concept, or because it's physically not being maintained?

The Disneyland version seemed clean and well maintained, the queue animatronics and effects all were in good working order, the film itself and simulator was in great shape, the walls and paint and furnishings all looked good, etc. And everyone in the cabin screamed and laughed and had a good time on the ride. When you leave the Disneyland version you go down this ramp towards the gift shop past Star Wars posters and such, and it is looking rather 1980's there and could definitely be updated. The other dated piece is the Cast Member uniforms; at Disneyland they wear these orange jumpsuits for the hostesses and blue jumpsuits for the hosts with zippers all over the place. Those uniforms look rather 80's too. I forget what the CM's wear in WDW.

But it wasn't like it was falling apart, or visibly dirty, or poorly maintained. But it definitely could be freshened and updated with new technology, at least in Disneyland.

Animaniac93-98

But it wasn't like it was falling apart, or visibly dirty, or poorly maintained. But it definitely could be freshened and updated with new technology, at least in Disneyland.

That's what I would say about WDW's version too. I noticed some animation details in the queue this time I went on that I hadn't before and everything worked, but it was obviously done with 80s technology (the boarding video begin the most obvious). Some 21st century technology would change it from good to fantastic like it used to be.

WDW Insider

Did Insider just accuse Al Lutz of getting his info from ReDisney?

That's the first source for the erroneous idea that there will be side screens that I know of. Soo...

You heard it here first, folks. No side screens in ST2.0.

There was another person at some WDW info forums that was saying the same kinds of things. Impossible to know if it was the same person or someone relaying the info, but it's totally false.

DoctorPrius

That's the first source for the erroneous idea that there will be side screens that I know of. Soo...

There was another person at some WDW info forums that was saying the same kinds of things. Impossible to know if it was the same person or someone relaying the info, but it's totally false.

Well I hope that other rumor about Star Wars charecters showing up in the ride and AA's pulling the roof off is false too because that sounded silly. I like the idea the ride, while taking place in the SW universe, does not involve the main cast (aside from cameos of the 2 droids)

I'd rather they focuse on a thrilling flight with no stops. Unless there planning to make the ride longer.

WDITrent

So... what are your sources, if you don't mind me asking? :) If you prefer not to tell, that's fine. I'm just curious.

TP2000

Al Lutz did not say anything about side screens in Star Tours 2.0 in his update this week. I'm confused who you are talking about? :confused:

DoctorPrius

Al Lutz did not say anything about side screens in Star Tours 2.0 in his update this week. I'm confused who you are talking about? :confused:

Its fairly obvious WDWinsider is just out to discredit people that expose the moronic decisions Disney managers make.

I must say he is doing an extremly amatuer job of it.

jt04

Original Poster
Well I hope that other rumor about Star Wars charecters showing up in the ride and AA's pulling the roof off is false too because that sounded silly. I like the idea the ride, while taking place in the SW universe, does not involve the main cast (aside from cameos of the 2 droids)

I'd rather they focuse on a thrilling flight with no stops. Unless there planning to make the ride longer.

You gotta be kidding. The roof retracting feature sounds amazing to me. I guess I have a different concept of what it would be.

DoctorPrius

You gotta be kidding. The roof retracting feature sounds amazing to me. I guess I have a different concept of what it would be.

It would just allow Lucas and the imagineers to do something cringe inducing. I can already picture battle droids with childish dialogue heckling guests wasting time which I would rather spend on a thrilling space/planetary adventure.

Besides when have you heard of a starship with a retractable roof either real or in fiction?

I would prefer it if they didn't do guest interaction, photo editiong, 3D, or removing the roof. No gimmicks please.

Just make a great film with side windows and incabin effects and spruce up the simulator to move around more realistically and I will be one happy space cadet!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom