Star Tours II

Hummer1676

That's the first thing I thought when he alluded to the previous ReDisney posts. It's all entertaining, so I don't really care.

Agree... There's a lot of people trying to discredit people, but who cares, this isn't high school and thats why its under the heading "rumors".

I am just excited to hear that there is some sort of plan, whatever it be, to get it back up to speed. They have had some success with the Jedi academy. There is obviously a draw. With the restaurant space next store they should expand it out. Build some themeing in the area, as soon as you walk towards the attraction on the left there is a huge space with nothing in it. It ruins the whole themeing.

jt04

Original Poster
It would just allow Lucas and the imagineers to do something cringe inducing. I can already picture battle droids with childish dialogue heckling guests wasting time which I would rather spend on a thrilling space/planetary adventure.

Besides when have you heard of a starship with a retractable roof either real or in fiction?

I would prefer it if they didn't do guest interaction, photo editiong, 3D, or removing the roof. No gimmicks please.

Just make a great film with side windows and incabin effects and spruce up the simulator to move around more realistically and I will be one happy space cadet!

I was picturing something along the lines of the X-wing fighter canopy that lifts after landing or closes for takeoff for use by the pilot. Seems more immersive than a standard box simulator.

DisneyMusician2

Its fairly obvious WDWinsider is just out to discredit people that expose the moronic decisions Disney managers make.

I must say he is doing an extremly amatuer job of it.

And perhaps there are people who deserve to be discredited.....

People are here to make their comments, and they are entitled.

jt04

Original Poster
I agree. I'm tired of the imagineers having to make EVERY ride they redo interactive. Not all of them have to be interactive.

Who says the roof retracting has anything to do with it being "interactive" :shrug:? It might just be part of the show.

DoctorPrius

Who says the roof retracting has anything to do with it being "interactive" :shrug:? It might just be part of the show.

The rumor said the roof would retrat and 2 AA's would heckle guests naturally you can already see them in your mind saying things like "Hey you with the mouse ears".

If its not for that then I really don't see why a roof would retract while you are flying around. I know you said before maybe tis like an X-Wing but those are starfigthers not larger craft like the starspeeder.

jt04

Original Poster
The rumor said the roof would retrat and 2 AA's would heckle guests naturally you can already see them in your mind saying things like "Hey you with the mouse ears".

If its not for that then I really don't see why a roof would retract while you are flying around. I know you said before maybe tis like an X-Wing but those are starfigthers not larger craft like the starspeeder.

Maybe it's just a sun roof.

MousDad

Yeah. I thought the early rumors had a roof opening to view a 180 panorama of the star field. I don't remember anything about heckling droids.

JKMAGIC

Star Tours II......

I can't really see being 3D because really, it would just be another 3D virtual rider. Disney World has enough of those. I say, keep it the same... maybe record a different screen film and yeah. Keep the legacy.

jt04

Original Poster
Star Tours II......

I can't really see being 3D because really, it would just be another 3D virtual rider. Disney World has enough of those. I say, keep it the same... maybe record a different screen film and yeah. Keep the legacy.

Yes but 3D in a motion simulator featuring a film by ILM just sounds too cool for school. There is some "legacy" for you.:lol:

WDWGoof07

Thread bump...Here's the latest from Screamscape. Take it for what it's worth:

2010/2011 - Star Tours 2 - Rumor - (3/21/09) What a difference six months makes as it looks like the Star Tours 2 project has been delayed until 2011 according to an update at MiceAge from a few weeks ago. However, shortly after that article was posted, I was contacted by one of my sources who reported that the story about the delay was old news leftover from last summer. With everyone in fear of losing their jobs these days, I’m told that the Star Tours 2 project was brought back out of the closet and is being worked on once again to prove that the department staff is needed because they are still in the middle of a major project.
While there is no solid timeline set for it yet, there are some issues going on between Disneyland and Disney World management over this new attraction. Disneyland wants the full fledged, crank the up to 11, full of new in-cabin special effects version of Star Tours 2. Orlando on the other hand, always ready to snip away at attraction budgets, is asking for a more bare-bones, no-frills version, and to reuse as much of what’s already installed as possible version. The funny part is that in an effort to push this thing along, both may get their wish, with Orlando being willing to put in the low-budget version while Disneyland installs a version of many cool new effects. What could help or hurt the scheduling here however is just how willing the Oriental Land Company is to get involved in the project as well, providing additional cost-sharing capital to the project which would help them all move into production more quickly.

I find it disturbing that TDO would ask for the bare-bones makeover, but not surprising since the current business model is to sell their product on past success that built up their reputation and holding celebrations to mask the lack of new construction. However, it makes no sense to do that if OLC agrees to foot the bill in part...are they really that afraid of having Star Tours closed for a long time??? They should have added more new rides that don't replace existing ones before. TDO is going to have to take its lumps in the short term for a long-term gain with an impressive, TDL-quality attraction that will have more longevity down the line.

This is a business model that can't hold up...maybe Harry Potter at IOA will make them realize that it won't work.

EPCOT Explorer

Thread bump...Here's the latest from Screamscape. Take it for what it's worth:

2010/2011 - Star Tours 2 - Rumor - (3/21/09) What a difference six months makes as it looks like the Star Tours 2 project has been delayed until 2011 according to an update at MiceAge from a few weeks ago. However, shortly after that article was posted, I was contacted by one of my sources who reported that the story about the delay was old news leftover from last summer. With everyone in fear of losing their jobs these days, I’m told that the Star Tours 2 project was brought back out of the closet and is being worked on once again to prove that the department staff is needed because they are still in the middle of a major project.
While there is no solid timeline set for it yet, there are some issues going on between Disneyland and Disney World management over this new attraction. Disneyland wants the full fledged, crank the up to 11, full of new in-cabin special effects version of Star Tours 2. Orlando on the other hand, always ready to snip away at attraction budgets, is asking for a more bare-bones, no-frills version, and to reuse as much of what’s already installed as possible version. The funny part is that in an effort to push this thing along, both may get their wish, with Orlando being willing to put in the low-budget version while Disneyland installs a version of many cool new effects. What could help or hurt the scheduling here however is just how willing the Oriental Land Company is to get involved in the project as well, providing additional cost-sharing capital to the project which would help them all move into production more quickly.

I find it disturbing that TDO would ask for the bare-bones makeover, but not surprising since the current business model is to sell their product on past success that built up their reputation and holding celebrations to mask the lack of new construction. However, it makes no sense to do that if OLC agrees to foot the bill in part...are they really that afraid of having Star Tours closed for a long time??? They should have added more new rides that don't replace existing ones before. TDO is going to have to take its lumps in the short term for a long-term gain with an impressive, TDL-quality attraction that will have more longevity down the line.

This is a business model that can't hold up...maybe Harry Potter at IOA will make them realize that it won't work.
Why do we ALWAYS get the shaft!?

SoccerMickey

I think Disney doesn't want to redo Star Tours because it appears they're going for the record of having the most dated, stale, and bland attractions in any theme park. So far their biggest competition is the run down place in Egypt and that China theme park that had the walk around character of the cat with really big ears that looked like Minnie Mouse.

jt04

Original Poster
Sounds like there are those who are dragging their feet and not understanding the "One Disney" concept. Could this be a turf war? Probably not a wise choice in times of employee cutbacks. It could also be some individual or small group stirring the rumor mill. Who knows for sure? Certainly not miceage.

Can't we all just get along? :kiss:

Captain Chaos

Sounds like there are those who are dragging their feet and not understanding the "One Disney" concept. Could this be a turf war? Probably not a wise choice in times of employee cutbacks. It could also be some individual or small group stirring the rumor mill. Who knows for sure? Certainly not miceage.

Can't we all just get along? :kiss:

If that is the case, and the team in Orlando is purposely dragging its feelt, then they all need to get canned NOW!!!!!!! Sympathy for them losing their jobs?? NONE!!!!! They don't care about me, you, the guests... HECK WITH THEM!!! FIRE THEM NOW IGER!!! GET REAL LEADERSHIP IN ORLANDO!!!!

Ok, I'm done... :) back to playing Disney music and Kingdom Hearts...

SoccerMickey

If that is the case, and the team in Orlando is purposely dragging its feelt, then they all need to get canned NOW!!!!!!! Sympathy for them losing their jobs?? NONE!!!!! They don't care about me, you, the guests... HECK WITH THEM!!! FIRE THEM NOW IGER!!! GET REAL LEADERSHIP IN ORLANDO!!!!

Ok, I'm done... :) back to playing Disney music and Kingdom Hearts...

I hate to see ANYONE lose their job but I think the wave of layoffs that happened at Disney were long overdue. Too many creative decisions are being led by accountants....and that's the way all over the Disney board for a while. When talking to an animator who was working on Mushu from Mulan, he was told that they kept having to make him small and skinny enough so they can sell him on top of a pencil. They don't show that on the preshow to the animation building at Hollywood Studios.

Pete C

Sad news indeed, if true. Orlando seems to be on the cheap, yet their theme parks are the most popular in the world. Something is not right. If any park should be able to afford new attractions and worthwhile refurbs, it should be Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom