SSE closed until Feb 18th!

Disney_Freak429

Adam, I like those reasons. But #2 ouch who's bright idea was it to take out (insert any improtant piece of SSE here). But all three of these make perfect sense considering like i said they prob. uped the budget after Oct. 1 & decided to add a bit more than they had time for in the original plan. Oh ya & enjoy France! :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I had my suspicions of the culprit, but i'm hearing from another person whose sources I trust too, so here goes...

The track.

It has to be completely replaced, and originally they thought it wasn't going to be so bad. I had a sneaking suspicion since it closed that they had given the track minimal consideration though anyone who has ridden it knows it's a major issue.

jasondiff

I had my suspicions of the culprit, but i'm hearing from another person whose sources I trust too, so here goes...

The track.

It has to be completely replaced, and originally they thought it wasn't going to be so bad. I had a sneaking suspicion since it closed that they had given the track minimal consideration though anyone who has ridden it knows it's a major issue.

Wow that would make SSE an incredible ride if it gets all new track!

bigtotoro

The track.

That sounds logical. It's too bad but these things will happen. It won't be open for my trip, but oh well...

jmuboy

The track.

If this is true then I am AMAZED it's only a 3 month delay. If the rumor is to be believed then that means the old track has to be removed, new track made and installed in 3.5 months. Seems unlikely. Maybe sections of the track need major work though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The track.

That sound logical. From my understanding the track was a part of structural support for the geosphere. If that is the case then the procedure for replacing it will not be an easy task as they can not just rip it out and replace it. It will be more akin to replacing the exterior walls of a house without removing the roof.

WDW Monorail

It has to be the track. I kinew from the very beginning that they had to replace the track. Contrary to my thoughts, I guess that the rehab crew overlooked the track until one of them tripped over it and realized it was there...

"OIII!! Hey, what's this thing I tri... OH!!! The track!!"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That sound logical. From my understanding the track was a part of structural support for the geosphere. If that is the case then the procedure for replacing it will not be an easy task as they can not just rip it out and replace it. It will be more akin to replacing the exterior walls of a house without removing the roof.
Other way round my friend; if you could remove the track, floors, everything, the Geo would still stand. That`s the whole point of a geodesic builing; it needs no support other than the building wall itself.

I`d like to say the track got the budget to be replaced, since after you-know-who said no to a very cheap fix many years ago they passed the point of no return in being able to minimise the bumps without major work.

At least the flagship and symbol of the park it getting much love.

dandaman

Dang... 6 days after my birthday? It could either be a great birthday present or, if I visit a week before the opening, a relatively sad one. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dang... 6 days after my birthday? It could either be a great birthday present or, if I visit a week before the opening, a relatively sad one. :lol:
We share the same birthday. For a while there I was beginning to think me, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin were the only ones born on 2/12.

DisneySaint

Very important update-
From what I've been told, the RIDE may very well still open in winter (sometime in mid December most likely). The new February date is for the Spaceship Earth and Project Tomorrow to be up and running TOGETHER. Nonetheless - the February date is still used as "cushion" to avoid another Grand Fiesta incident just in case the refurb goes slightly longer than expected.

You heard it here first.

dandaman

We share the same birthday. For a while there I was beginning to think me, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin were the only ones born on 2/12.

Knew about Lincoln forever; never knew about Darwin. Irony time: I was born at Lincoln Hospital in Lincoln, Ontario. :D

ToTBellHop

Very important update-
From what I've been told, the RIDE may very well still open in winter (sometime in mid December most likely). The new February date is for the Spaceship Earth and Project Tomorrow to be up and running TOGETHER. Nonetheless - the February date is still used as "cushion" to avoid another Grand Fiesta incident just in case the refurb goes slightly longer than expected.

You heard it here first.
but Project Tomorrow is already open...finished, no. But, open as far as Disney is concerned.

Kingdom WDW

Very important update-

You heard it here first.

Indeed I did.

Wasn't Project Tomorrow finished already?

Vernonpush

I'm just having "Test Track" flashbacks:ROFLOL:. I hope they can take the time to fix the problems (whatever they are). I will enjoy the ride whenever it opens. I wonder if the Feb. date released is including "Test and Adjust" and "AP Faspass" and "Soft Opening" before? Maybe the new ride in Dec. :xmas: (with Test and Adjust), final version of Project Tomorrow to T&A in Jan. , AP Preview in late Jan./early Feb. , then Soft Open? :shrug:
One can only hope :lol:.

dandaman

Generally "soft openings" only occur if there is an entirely new guest experience, and the Imagineers need feedback. As much as many people would like to believe, Spaceship Earth "2.0" will not be a new ride by definition, so I dout there will be a "soft re-opening". :shrug:

(Then again, board members will inevitably make an 1100+ unofficial group of people to be first in line on the projected date. :lol: )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom