SSE closed until Feb 18th!

chels26

dispite that most of you are disappointed, im really excited cause ill be there and i'll get to meet you all! (hopefully..)

brkgnews

Maybe it's for a good reason. Maybe one of those Eisner "this blows, fix it" moments like happened with Alien Encounter? Maybe some of the preliminary analysis of the new scenes was underwhelming and they decided to really knock our socks off.

I'm hoping for good things. :)

mousefan1972

Wow, I'm really bummed. :( I was so hoping SSE would be back up for XMas. My 4 year old calls it "the space ride" ......
Oh well, we should be back to the World in May '08, and it had BETTER be re-opened by then! :lookaroun :lol:

calismic

So sad, our February trip ends on the 16th =( This is one of my all time favorite rides. If it wasn't for time already requested off work I'd move the trip back a week! Well one can hope that the refurb finishes early. It was either last year or the year before Splash Mountain was under a minor refurb and it was supposed to be done a week after our trip ended, but when we arrived the ride was up and running! *keeps fingers crossed*

devoy1701

Sounds like a smart move by the Walt Disney World Resort. I, along with many other people as I've read, will now have to book ATLEAST a getaway weekend sometime in February/March in ADDITION to my trip this December to enjoy SSE!

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I agree that it was something additional that reared it's ugly head when they started tearing things apart. Happens on aircraft repairs all the time. Pull one layer up and there's a bunch of corrosion underneath. Great, now I have to fix that too?

Either that or a subcontractor screwed them. Saying that they would be ready with something and it's taking longer than expected due to lead time of parts. A lot of stuff in my industry is COTS (commercial off the shelf) stuff so you take your chances with lead times. Sometimes they have stock one day and the next they're out. P00p happens.

bryPOD

In the long run, I don't mind as long as these updates benefit the future of SSE...

However, I was just at WDW in July and will be back in January for the Marathon weekend, so it may be another year before I get to ride SSE, so it is slightly disappointing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sounds good to me. I always thought the original refurb was short, I am all for them taking the extra time to make sure it's right. We dont want a rush job! :)

wickedfan07

Well...as they say, "Good things come to those who wait," so we'll see. Hopefully SSE will come back better than ever and there will be some amazing new scenes and effects that we'll be glad we waited for. Disney knows that they cannot possibly mess this up without it hurting them in the long run. Besides the fact that SSE is the signature attraction and icon of Epcot, this refurbishment means a ton to this fanbase. They aren't pushing the opening date back three months just for kicks. They obviously need more time, and we have to just respect that. We don't want a crappy unfinished product to be epcot's signature attraction for the next decade or so. Deal with the longer refurbishment now, and I think that all of WDW's guests over the next decade or so will be happy disney took the extra time and did it right.

Unfortunately, now SSe will be closed over Christmas week, so the park's biggest people eater won't help the crowds. Hmm...time to open Wonders of Life again?

jasondiff

Steve is right! From the point of view of a person who won't be down to visit before at least March, I'm glad the refurb was extended, for whatever the reason happens to be.

If they removed a show scene by accident, I don't really think it would take 4 months to replace it. But even if it did, their other option was to leave it out and put up some 2D set to replace it and hope no one would notice. So I'm glad the refurb got extended.

If the reason is that they found some underlying problem they didn't account for, then it's also great that it is getting fixed like it should, instead of being ignored.

If the reason is that somebody screwed up and blew it on estimating times, then the alternative would be to put an unfinished ride back into operation and hope no one noticed, while planning (hopefully) to finish it later. We all know how those plans to finish it later often work out.

And maybe like brkgnews said it was like the Alien Ecounter moment, but this time with Jim Macphee doing a walkthrough and saying "This blows!".

So in any case, I applaud Disney's obviously tough decision to extend the refurb. It's just the right thing to do.

Dubman

That stinks that they are so far behind.. But it is good for me because they will be reopening it during my next trip!!!

DisneySaint

I reported this weeks ago, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. Everyone was saying they were running at least 6 weeks behind schedule and that it wouldn't open 'till early '08. It's a shame they took so long to announce it.

montyz81

I guess i should count myself lucky. I am going down in late January and then in April. I was hoping to go on it in January to enjoy it on my own. It may be tougher to convince my 5 year old to go in when we go in April .

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Nice..... a 3 month delay... *sigh*

Well... I guess I am going to have to go again sometime in FEB/MAR.

cooleo

:eek: HOLY HOPPIN HOBBIT Batman!!! :eek: That sure blows my December trip. I will still have a Great Time, but it just won't be the same without SSE!

*I just need a moment* :cry: waaaaahaahaaahaa waaaa :cry: OK, I'm alright now

aladdin2007

Anyone worry that maybe they decided to take a whole new route for the redo and gut the whole thing entirely and do something different? I hope with the extension that its still not long enough for something that extreme to happen but the thought crossed my mind. :shrug:

DisneyNme

Im not seeing solid info here, So ill have to be the one that dissagrees with this, if disney changed the date to the end of october, theres no reason to update november. With the exception of removing the operational updates in november. Sorry....Im just looking on the brite side since my trip is 13 days away.

So maybe it will only be open in november? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom