SSE closed until Feb 18th!

jedijake45

okay I now that January is a very slow time and on all but come, im taking my wife for her FIRST time in late January, Spash is closed, Spaceship earth will not be open, I hear the American Adventure will be down as well, not to mention lesser attractions like Snow White and Minnie's house will also be closed. thats alot og good stuff to miss out on.

Eyorefan

I guess I planned my Feburary trip a few weeks too early.... I wonder if my sister really wants me at her wedding....:rolleyes:

I hope that whatever is going wrong in there is under control now and it really opens in Feburary, but I won't start panicing unless I hear it will still be closed for my Dec. 08 trip.

jmuboy

One thing I will never fault Disney parks for is DOING rehabs and taking longer to DO THEM RIGHT if the extra time is necessary. I am sure we are all going to love SSE when it reopens. Look at all the other great ECPOT updates recently. It'll be worth the wait. I'm just glad the ride is getting the TLC it deserves.

My concern - the extra $$$ to fix SSE will squash the Imagination rehab budget YET AGAIN! Lets hope not.

Rototom

I'm there the first week of Dec. I'd much rather miss the open by months than days. Either way we all agree that they should just do it right, no matter the delay. We do not want another Imagination

Like other said...I'll have to plan another trip to see SSE AND Toy Story Mania!

Foolish1

Just found it on disneyworld.com

Spaceship Earth closed straight through to Feb 18th, 2008.

OK, I have a question now, then. Does this mean that the multi-stage refurb has been turned into a single stage refurb? Or does this mean that it will reopen on Feb 18, and then close again for 3 more months on Feb 19th or something? :lol:

Remember, this was planned from the beginning to be done in two stages.

Also, last night I talked with a friend of mine who works for a special effects company that works with every entertainment company around. He has no real connection to this, but he does have two friends at WDI (as well as at WDFA, but that's another story), and one of his friends said the rumor around WDI was that SSE might not reopen until April/May. Any date sooner than that is now just CONJECTURE. He had been told that a few of the infrastructure systems were worse than originally believed to be. (Electrical, air, fire) His friend also heard a rumor (Yes, who believes rumors here, right?) that very recently Disney management decided to throw more money into the refurb as well.

So, what does that mean? I really don't know.

kcnole

Anyone worry that maybe they decided to take a whole new route for the redo and gut the whole thing entirely and do something different? I hope with the extension that its still not long enough for something that extreme to happen but the thought crossed my mind. :shrug:

No, there's no concern over that.

Personally I don't mind. Yes its sad that we have to wait longer to see it because its like a Christmas present we all can't wait to open. But I want everything fixed right. Had they reopened for example with that same bumpy track I'd have been awfully annoyed. So they need to do whatever they need to do and take as long as necessary to make sure this ride is pristine when it opens.

Foolish1

Besides, look at this way, Disney is refurbishing the attraction, and putting some real money into it, no matter how long it does end up taking. In the end, it's all good things happening. While we can be saddened for ourselves, in the longer run it will (hopefully) make EPCOT Center a better park. And that will (hopefully) mean more guests, and then more interest from Disney to upgrade even more things as well.

Try not to complain about the bad parts, let's be thankful for the good parts.

rainfully

OK, I have a question now, then. Does this mean that the multi-stage refurb has been turned into a single stage refurb? Or does this mean that it will reopen on Feb 18, and then close again for 3 more months on Feb 19th or something? :lol:

Remember, this was planned from the beginning to be done in two stages.

Also, last night I talked with a friend of mine who works for a special effects company that works with every entertainment company around. He has no real connection to this, but he does have two friends at WDI (as well as at WDFA, but that's another story), and one of his friends said the rumor around WDI was that SSE might not reopen until April/May. Any date sooner than that is now just CONJECTURE. He had been told that a few of the infrastructure systems were worse than originally believed to be. (Electrical, air, fire) His friend also heard a rumor (Yes, who believes rumors here, right?) that very recently Disney management decided to throw more money into the refurb as well.

So, what does that mean? I really don't know.

I thought stage one was already completed when they closed it earlier this year for a while and then it reopened...

Foolish1

I thought stage one was already completed when they closed it earlier this year for a while and then it reopened...

I thought it was confirmed from way back that stage one was to be finished in November of 2007. (Obviously this has been either pushed back, or combined with stage two now.)

Somewhere I have the press announcement of this.

Craig & Lisa

Well I guess this is a trade off for the family and I, when we were there this past July, HM was closed, so we get to see a finished refurb while they work on another major attraction.:D:sohappy: 12 days and counting......... I CAN"T WAIT!!!!:wave:

Disney_Freak429

I feel sorry for everyone going before than who thought it would be open. But I know it will be worth the wait. Either things are going wrong or things are going right but they want to do more. I know that WDI & Jim know that if they screw this up they will have a lot of upset EPCOT fans to deal with so I am sure they pushed it back to make sure its perfect. I have a strong feeling from seeing & hearing from Jim at Celebration 25 that he knows how strong EPCOT's fan base is & really wants to make sure he can do the best job he can for not only Disney but the die hard fans of EPCOT. So they can take the time they need as far as I am concerned because I know once it does open it will be perfect. I also wouldn't be surprised with after Oct. 1 seeing how well things went Jim didn't push for some extra cash for the refurb. ;)

jedimaster1227

One can hope, but also wonder - what the heck went wrong? 3 months behind on a 5 month refurb?

Even in France, I receive what information I can... I have heard three stories:

1. The budget was upped for detailing purposes, but the time needed to consumate such upgrades was more than previously alotted.
2. They "removed" something they shouldn't have and it took more time to reinstall the infastructure than thought necessary.
3. Upon installing new items, extra structures and supports within the building have been added and require testing, as well as the testing of the new "future finale" effect.

Judging by the fact that I'm nowhere near Orlando at the moment, even I am taking this information with salt...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom