SSE closed until Feb 18th!

askmike1

The refurb on SSE is essentially like a house remodel. You might plan to repaint, replace the windows, re-do the kitchen and replace the roof but you would not decide to add on a second story on just a whim.

Well... if my house had a major corporate sponsor, entertained millions of people each year and I knew that a whole bunch of fanatics would start complaining if even the smallest thing was done wrong... yes... I might decide to add that second story... not on a whim, but after careful consideration.

jmvd20

How can you say that without any information other than timelines? There could be new changes that were approved or perhaps as previously mentioned some flaw in the infrastructure was noticed and addressed.

But even if you're right and something did go very wrong... they're now fixing it and making it right.

I'm not concerned with this delay. I'm happy with them taking their time on whatever the issue is.

Again as I stated in my original post the something that went wrong could be any number of things.

How can I say this - it is my job to complete construction projects on time.

As an example let's say that the ride system does indeed need major repairs or replacement - someone made a mistake not noticing it or checking it in the first place.

A show scene was incorrectly removed - well something went wrong to say the least.

Unforeseen structural issues - another example of something going wrong and showing possible mistakes by not cathcing it earlier in the planning stages.

Additional work requested after commencement of work - this is the biggest pain in the ..... I deal with. Almost done with the project and then guess what - someone says "lets add another escalator in the main concourse", "this office is 2' too small just move the emergency staircase and that fire wall over to accommodate my desk and chair". To me this again is a mistake as someone should have caught it in the planning stages.

No matter what anyone wants to say about this issue adding 3 months to a 4 month refurb equals a problem has happened - whether it is structural, monetary, or labor related does not change the fact that something went wrong.

Lee

Adventurer
Latest word I'm getting is that the mid-November date never really had a chance. Thanksgiving wasn't likely. Christmas a long shot. January kinda possible. February-March a good target.

Quote:
"We told them it wouldn't be ready, but they put that date out there anyway. Now we look like the bad guys. Honestly, when it opens you will see why it took so long."

Captain Hank

potatoheadman said:
At this rate they are going to have to change the name "Tomorrows Child" to "The Day After Tomorrow's Child"
:lookaroun

day_after_tomorrow.jpg

nbodyhome

I spoke with a guest service person (who seemed pretty up on what was going on with SE) the day after it closed.

She said that it could be anywhere from "November through March" due to the extensive work being done. It sounds like it's going to be closer to March.

Denise

Figments Friend

Let's hope they're going to surprise us with so many great new things that it's all worth the wait.

Ryan

I strongly beleive that this will indeed be the case......

SSE will be so totally mind blowing once it re-opens...i truly beleive that. The theming of the post-show area impressed me when i first visited it a few weeks ago, and it left me feeling as though SSE was in very good hands. SEIMENS has already proven to me beyond a doubt that it respects and values SSE for the grand attraction that it is. Removing the "Wand" was only one of many excellent improvements that i have seen to date.

I am actually happy to hear the re-opening has been delayed. Now there is a better chance of me actually considering being a part of the Re-Opening Party.

:animwink:

Figments Friend

Latest word I'm getting is that the mid-November date never really had a chance. Thanksgiving wasn't likely. Christmas a long shot. January kinda possible. February-March a good target.

Quote:
"We told them it wouldn't be ready, but they put that date out there anyway. Now we look like the bad guys. Honestly, when it opens you will see why it took so long."

Well said quote....

SSE will be AMAZING! I'm looking forward to it....

EPCOT.nut

I strongly beleive that this will indeed be the case......

SSE will be so totally mind blowing once it re-opens...i truly beleive that. The theming of the post-show area impressed me when i first visited it a few weeks ago, and it left me feeling as though SSE was in very good hands. SEIMENS has already proven to me beyond a doubt that it respects and values SSE for the grand attraction that it is. Removing the "Wand" was only one of many excellent improvements that i have seen to date.

I am actually happy to hear the re-opening has been delayed. Now there is a better chance of me actually considering being a part of the Re-Opening Party.

:animwink:

Yes...BUT! :lol: I haven't visited the new post-show yet because I wanted to wait and ride the new ride at the re-opening and experience the post-show after seeing the new SSE...

So I am really whiny right now about the re-opening being pushed back. I don't know how long I can avoid the post-show waiting for the whole thing to re-open. :lookaroun I know there are medications I can take to make this time easier on me..... :D

jmvd20

Quote:

Good point.

I should have added that to my list above...

People not listening to the guys doing the work and setting the date way too early. I've never had anything like that happen before... :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I know there are medications I can take to make this time easier on me..... :D
SSE-driven self-medication?

Now I've learned the true meaning of obsession! :lol:

And there I thought I was the master obsessor! :shrug:

:ROFLOL:

EPCOT.nut

SSE-driven self-medication?

Now I've learned the true meaning of obsession! :lol:

And there I thought I was the master obsessor! :shrug:

:ROFLOL:

Yeah, okay, that was a teensy bit over-dramatic. :rolleyes:

SSE has been the ride we hit coming and going at EPCOT and I have more of a connection to that attraction than any other. Actually, any other ride could be down for an extended time and I would be OK with it!

It is kind of funny that SSE stopped progressing and we had all this technology and we were supposed to be amazed that we can get the news in Chinese. :lol: Yeah we can get the news in Chinese on our cell phones while shopping at Publix! WOOT! The Horizons ride-through is funny, too, because we have this new personal computer made possible by this tiny silicon chip and all I can think is that they mean the Atari 8-bit. :snore:

Expo_Seeker40

There's just so much going on in that big golfball. :ROFLOL:

They are most likely redoing the tunnel that brings us into the caveman scene. Would be so cool if they removed all the telelvisions...which I bet they are....and just have the dark and erie tunnel with some small lights and a fog machine...which I wouldn't be suprised if they do with also the lightning effect as the flash camera that takes your photo for a photo recognition system.

Then you have all the original scenes: caveman to the 1960s televisions....all the sets have to be almost entirely stripped....repainted...cleaned..and repaired. I think the redressing of the sets will make the sets more historically accurate, not so much significantly change them.

Then they are removing the videophone internet conversation scene with the boy and the girl and replacing it once again with three scenes depicting the evolution of the computer from the past to the present.......how ironic since this is what was originally presented to guests from 1982-1994 with the computer in the home, the office, and as a network operations center.

Now you also have the other half of the network operations center covered up. I wonder if they will reuse that as a new scene. This is on the opposite side of the boy and the girl having the internet conversation.

Then you have the planeterium....possibly a new star projetion, including earth, maybe even a new space station scene complete with astronauts and a satelite dish.

The entire ending of the ride has a false ceiling. The original 1982 ceiling I beleive will be used again for a huge floor-to-ceiling show space.

I believe this because Seimens got rid of all the false ceilings and doo-dads from the global neighborhood at once again utelized the entire showroom of the earth station! :sohappy:

Seimens and Disney are working in a good direction together. The corporate lounge is nice and futuristic. Project Tomorrow looks back to the days of the wide open Earth Station, but with 21st century technology, yet having a nice sleek appearance. The mural at the entrance to SSE has been saved. The legs undernath SSE have been repainted with a cool blue swoosh pattern. Too bad the rest of SSE i.e. the salmon pink colors can't be blue again...maybe they will some day.

The palm trees and foliage are all nice. The new palm trees will grow tall in the next couple years.

All SSE really needs IMO is lighting of colors change at night again, the legs need to be repainted powder blue or some other color without the leave a legacy stripes, and those ugly trees out front need to be removed and replaced with palm trees. SSE looks too hidden with all the leave a legacy stones and overgrown foliage. :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In fairness, keeping ahead of the curve on technology costs me a small fortune for just my own use... I can't imagine how much it would cost to keep a technology display of any kind at Disney 'current'! :eek:

And they'd have to refurb every Tuesday just to stay close to current! :ROFLOL:

EPCOT.nut

In fairness, keeping ahead of the curve on technology costs me a small fortune for just my own use... I can't imagine how much it would cost to keep a technology display of any kind at Disney 'current'! :eek:

And they'd have to refurb every Tuesday just to stay close to current! :ROFLOL:

Maybe they should start with their website. :lol::lol::lol:

EPCOT Explorer

They found a "sinkhole".:lookaroun

New Horizons for you and for me.... :lookaroun

Urp.:dazzle:

:zipit:

There's just so much going on in that big golfball. :ROFLOL:

They are most likely redoing the tunnel that brings us into the caveman scene. Would be so cool if they removed all the telelvisions...which I bet they are....and just have the dark and erie tunnel with some small lights and a fog machine...which I wouldn't be suprised if they do with also the lightning effect as the flash camera that takes your photo for a photo recognition system.

Then you have all the original scenes: caveman to the 1960s televisions....all the sets have to be almost entirely stripped....repainted...cleaned..and repaired. I think the redressing of the sets will make the sets more historically accurate, not so much significantly change them.

Then they are removing the videophone internet conversation scene with the boy and the girl and replacing it once again with three scenes depicting the evolution of the computer from the past to the present.......how ironic since this is what was originally presented to guests from 1982-1994 with the computer in the home, the office, and as a network operations center.

Now you also have the other half of the network operations center covered up. I wonder if they will reuse that as a new scene. This is on the opposite side of the boy and the girl having the internet conversation.

Then you have the planeterium....possibly a new star projetion, including earth, maybe even a new space station scene complete with astronauts and a satelite dish.

The entire ending of the ride has a false ceiling. The original 1982 ceiling I beleive will be used again for a huge floor-to-ceiling show space.

I believe this because Seimens got rid of all the false ceilings and doo-dads from the global neighborhood at once again utelized the entire showroom of the earth station! :sohappy:

Seimens and Disney are working in a good direction together. The corporate lounge is nice and futuristic. Project Tomorrow looks back to the days of the wide open Earth Station, but with 21st century technology, yet having a nice sleek appearance. The mural at the entrance to SSE has been saved. The legs undernath SSE have been repainted with a cool blue swoosh pattern. Too bad the rest of SSE i.e. the salmon pink colors can't be blue again...maybe they will some day.

The palm trees and foliage are all nice. The new palm trees will grow tall in the next couple years.

All SSE really needs IMO is lighting of colors change at night again, the legs need to be repainted powder blue or some other color without the leave a legacy stripes, and those ugly trees out front need to be removed and replaced with palm trees. SSE looks too hidden with all the leave a legacy stones and overgrown foliage. :rolleyes:
^^^^^EXACTLY!!!!

Hopefully, your staments/conjectures are true because if so,SSE IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!!

...I hope.I'm so nervous aboutthis rehab,it's scary.Let's hope that the imagineers give it that EPCOT CENTER Retro feeling while bringing the show and it's story into the pressent/future.If this thing goes the way of "New Epcot,I'll be very unhappy.SSE is the Premier EPCOT CENTER attraction and without it, EPCOT would never be the same.I even made a special trip in June to see the Irons version before it closed.

Here's to the Future!

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom