Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

k.hunter30

Though I wasn't a huge fan of the epilogue, I would have liked to know if Harry ever had contact with his cousin - especially after their "goodbye" in the beginning of the book.

Connor002

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Highlights:

Rowling said her original epilogue was “a lot more detailed,” including the name of every child born to the Weasley clan in the past 19 years. (Victoire, who was snogging Teddy — Lupin and Tonks’ son — is Bill and Fleur’s eldest.)
As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.

Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron’s wife, is “pretty high up” in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in “Deathly Hallows.”

“I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures,” Rowling said. “She’s a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is.”

Pongo

I knew Victoire had to be Bill and Fleur's. Sounded way too French to be anyone else's.

Harry an Auror? I still think he should have been Headmaster or Minister of Magic. But then again, I guess that would go against Dumbledore's whole speech about power and the best people for it are those who get forced into it.

(That WAS Dumbledore and that IS what he said, right? :lookaroun )

Wilt Dasney

And I also have to say, I KNEW Snape was going to end up good. I KNEW IT. That entire chapter, The Prince's Story, was the best one in the whole book in my opinion. Everything finally came together. It's giving me chills right now, just thinking about it.

Or in all 7.

k.hunter30

Harry an Auror? I still think he should have been Headmaster or Minister of Magic. But then again, I guess that would go against Dumbledore's whole speech about power and the best people for it are those who get forced into it.

(That WAS Dumbledore and that IS what he said, right? :lookaroun )
Harry always wanted to be a Auror - so I thought it made perfect sense.

celticdog

Though I didn't put together Harry being the rightful owner of the Elder Wand until it was revealed in the book.

When did Draco become the master of the Elder Wand? I completely missed that. When did that happen?

I realize Harry had taken Draco's wand, did that mean the wand that Voldemort had was a fake? That little monologue by Harry seemed a bit confusing to me.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
OK, just finished...so you can all laugh, but I did have work and family and weekend social calendar to compete for time....
Thoroughly satisfied.
Felt vindicated with Snape. After it became clear to me with the second book that Snape would be painted as the main advisary only to be vindicated (just as the Dark Arts instructor was only good for one year), I knew he would have a critical role in the final battle. I also predicted him to be headmaster (although I saw him as continuing as headmaster at the close of the series).

Now two more movies to look for (hopefully 6 and 7 improve over 5 which I thought was the weakest)

Pongo

When did Draco become the master of the Elder Wand? I completely missed that. When did that happen?

I realize Harry had taken Draco's wand, did that mean the wand that Voldemort had was a fake? That little monologue by Harry seemed a bit confusing to me.

No, Voldemort had the legit Elder Wasnt when he stole it from Dumbledore's tomb. But who possessed the physical wand didn't really matter, it's the wand's allegiance that matters. Draco took Dumbledore's wand at the end of book six, so the wand's allegiance belonged to Draco, even if he didn't know it. Voldemort thought the allegiance was to Snape since Snape killed Dumbledore; that's why he gave the wand back to Snape and killed him. But when Harry took Draco's wand at the Malfoy's in book seven, the Elder Wand's allegiance switched over to Harry. Therefore, when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he couldn't because the wand couldn't curse it's owner.

I loved that. So great.

k.hunter30

No, Voldemort had the legit Elder Wasnt when he stole it from Dumbledore's tomb. But who possessed the physical wand didn't really matter, it's the wand's allegiance that matters. Draco took Dumbledore's wand at the end of book six, so the wand's allegiance belonged to Draco, even if he didn't know it. Voldemort thought the allegiance was to Snape since Snape killed Dumbledore; that's why he gave the wand back to Snape and killed him. But when Harry took Draco's wand at the Malfoy's in book seven, the Elder Wand's allegiance switched over to Harry. Therefore, when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he couldn't because the wand couldn't curse it's owner.

I loved that. So great.
Draco didn't "take" Dumbledore's wand - did he? He disarmed him and became the current rightful master of the wand right before Snape killed the headmaster - but he didn't take it, right? Or else how would Dumbledore have been buried with it?

And I thought Voldemort couldn't kill harry b/c he still had part of his soul in Harry's... at least that's what I got from the King's Cross chapter...

It's a little confusing - but brilliant!

Pongo

Draco didn't "take" Dumbledore's wand - did he? He disarmed him and became the current rightful master of the wand right before Snape killed the headmaster - but he didn't take it, right? Or else how would Dumbledore have been buried with it?

Yeah, I meant disarm, but I couldn't think of the right word :lol:

Kat said:
And I thought Voldemort couldn't kill harry b/c he still had part of his soul in Harry's... at least that's what I got from the King's Cross chapter...

Yes. That's true. For the first attempt :lol:

The second time, in the Great Hall when they both cast a spell at the same time is what I was talking about.

Kat said:
It's a little confusing - but brilliant!

I concur.

Wilt Dasney

So if the Elder Wand truly belonged to Harry all along and couldn't curse its master...why did it blast him into limbo or where-ever and leave him with a hella pain in the forehead on Voldemort's first try?

Hadn't really thought of that until reading this thread. :lol:

Pongo

So if the Elder Wand truly belonged to Harry all along and couldn't curse its master...why did it blast him into limbo or where-ever and leave him with a hella pain in the forehead on Voldemort's first try?

Hadn't really thought of that until reading this thread. :lol:

I think that happened because Harry was taking it willingly. If you recall, it also blasted Voldemort somewhat too.

Wilt Dasney

I remembered another question that occurred to me. She makes a big deal in the book about how Harry's cloak offers perfect concealment, but just a few chapters before, the Bathilda-snake senses Harry and Hermione underneath it in Godric's Hollow and gets them to follow her/it back to the house.

And then in Book 4, isn't it a recurring theme that the fake Mad-Eye seems to know when Harry is there, even though he's under his cloak?

The only thing I can think of is that they "sensed" Harry under the cloak without actually seeing him...but that still doesn't seem like perfect concealment to me. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom