Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

Pongo

J.K. had considered two other titles for Deathly Hallows, one of them was revealed by her:

Harry Potter and the Elder Wand

Out of the two, I prefer Deathly Hallows.

Me too.

As far as religion is concerned, I didn't really pick up on the Jesus-figure that much (I don't catch on to blatant allusions like that for some reason :lol: )

I'm so glad that I got to live through the Potter craze.

Connor002

As far as religion is concerned, I didn't really pick up on the Jesus-figure that much (I don't catch on to blatant allusions like that for some reason :lol: )
And that's why I am the real genius.
Luke said:
Ditto. It would have sucked to die last Friday at 11:59. :lookaroun

Peaches Magee

Me too.

Amen to all of that, I feel the same way. :wave:

Erika

I think the Christian references angle can make for fascinating discussion, but as much as I'd love for it to go further, I have to ask that we stop short... forum rules...

I've already lent my book out to my mom (with my MIL next in line) but I am dying to go back and re-read a few bits. I love the way Rowling managed to depict not only the seductiveness of evil but the disappointment and lament that follows. The Death Eaters were so sure of finding glory with Voldemort. Wrong-o, eh, Luscious :lol:

Me too... Fred hot me hard... she should have off'ed Percy for being such a git for so long. Made me hurt that the twins were separated by death. I know they are just characters, but you feel the humorous bond with them and that made it rough for me.
Hedwig was really hard for me too, especially because he kept saying "you will be able to fly soon." Dobby hit me hard. Just how devoted he was and everything. I really liked Lupin's character especially the way he was going in Book 7...but I kind of felt it coming with the kid coming adn him being happy and then naming Harry godfather and all... but didnt think Tonks would go too. Makes little Teddy kind of like Harry in that way.

And I kinda knew Snape would die also, and it made me sad actually... I truly liked Snape always knew he was good in his way. I think I love him so much because of Alan Rickman portrayal of him.. he is brilliant, brings the character to life for me.

I mostly agree with you, but I am glad Percy didn't redeem himself only to be killed immediately following.

I was happy to see Snape's story finally told, and I love Alan Rickman as well. He's been a favorite actor of mine for some time.

Hedwig was just awful. :( But when that happened, I knew what kind of book this was going to be. So I guess it made for good preparation :lol:

MAF

Two people you've never heard of? Have you even read the other books? Lupin was a huge player in the third book and has been used steadily in the following books. Tonks was introduced in book five and was a character I was very fond of in that book. She also showed up multiple times in book six. I wouldn't call them minor characters or unknown by any stretch.
When I said "main" character I meant Harry, Hermione, or Ron. One of them should be dead darn it....:lookaroun

CaptainMichael

The two things that hit me the hardest was the death of Dobby and Harry's wand breaking. I was reallllllllllllllllllly afraid for Hagrid when he jumped off the bike though.

nibblesandbits

I thought Fred was clearly the most "main" character to have been killed... pretty obvious... but for second, which no one is mentioning... to me was Hedwig... I mean Hedwig was his one link to the Wizarding World for 7 books while he was at the Dursley's every summer... I mean, when she referred to two main characters i think it had to be Fred and Lupin... but I thought Hedwig was the second most depressing... he was just a nice friendly owl... poor little thing...
Um...wouldn't the second main character to die be Snape? That's who I thought it was when I read it. Although there were lots of "main" characters who did end up dying. But Snape to me is the one I think of most when talking about main characters dying.

nibblesandbits

Well, in case you all can't tell, I've finally finished. Took me a little longer than I'd wanted, but I'm glad it did. That just meant I got to enjoy it more.

I did love the book, although I do have one complaint. I thought the walking in the woods part took entirely too long. The "search" essentially took up the first half of the book and I didn't really feel anything was being accomplished in that first half. Yeah, I knew a bit was being accomplished, but I actually think there was quite a bit of fluff in there. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the first half. I did, I just thought that the beginning just moved on a little too slowly for me. (Maybe I just need to re-read, but I'm done with reading Harry Potter for a while. I need a break.) I really thought the book was much more entertaining in the second half. To me, that's when the book really started to pick up steam and we started getting things answered.

The one part where I bawlled like a baby was actually the part where Harry walked off into the forest knowing he was going to die. My gosh, that part was so heart wrenching and I was trying so hard not to cry.

Dukeblue1016

Um...wouldn't the second main character to die be Snape? That's who I thought it was when I read it. Although there were lots of "main" characters who did end up dying. But Snape to me is the one I think of most when talking about main characters dying.

oh yeah....

hahahahhahahahahahahahah i'm an idiot

CaptainMichael

Anyone else find Snape's patronus being a doe kind of odd?...Lily's was a doe because James' was a stag, Snape hated everything to do with James (besides Lily)....

Also, I wonder what Snape used as his happy memory because his life seems so miserable.

PinMadness

I am going to go against the grain here.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the book. For it being the final book, I was expecting so much more.

I thought the epilogue was incredibly cheesy and not needed. In my opinion, skipping ahead 19 years and trying to sum everything up in one measly chapter just didn't work. It felt like a cop out to me.

The book had amazing moments, of course. It just fell flat for me. :shrug:

CaptainMichael

I thought the epilogue was incredibly cheesy and not needed. In my opinion, skipping ahead 19 years and trying to sum everything up in one measly chapter just didn't work. It felt like a cop out to me.

It was short, sappy, and quite uninformative. You can tell Jo wrote this 17 years ago...:hurl:

I was all excited to read it and then...:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Number_6

Anyone else find Snape's patronus being a doe kind of odd?...Lily's was a doe because James' was a stag, Snape hated everything to do with James (besides Lily)....

Also, I wonder what Snape used as his happy memory because his life seems so miserable.

A person doesn't decide on what their patronus is going to be. It forms based on a number of factors about the person themselves. The only positive thing in Snape's life seemed to be his love of Lily. And I agree with Connor, his happy memories used to cast the patronus most likely had to do with Lily. So with everything good and happy having to do with Lily, it's not all that surprising that the patronus ended up being a doe for Snape as well.

k.hunter30

Not odd at all - especially after reading Harry explain it to Voldemort. His life-long love of Lilly caused it to be a doe like hers.

Had we seen Snape's Patronus before this book?

I was thoroughly disappointed with the book. For it being the final book, I was expecting so much more.

I have to agree that the epilogue was quite cheesy. Though I definitely would not have been satisfied with the book ending at that last chapter.

k.hunter30

Was anyone else expecting more twists and turns? It seems like a lot of what was revealed in this book wasn't a super surprise (Harry being a Horcrux, Snape being in love with Lilly, etc.) I suppose the new elements that this book introduced like the Hallows added more surprising revelations... :shrug:
Though I didn't put together Harry being the rightful owner of the Elder Wand until it was revealed in the book.

Erika

I agree that I could have done without th epilogue, but other people have told me they wanted more there. It's my guess she went for the happy medium... thereby pleasing almost nobody :lol:

Nicole220

I thought it was a bit cheesy as well, but it would have been weird ending it at the last chapter. It would have left us wondering where everyone was later in life. I think the encyclopedias will be a great thing, finding out in more detail about each character and what happened to them.

Oh, and :lol: to the above post saying the happy ending pleased almost no one. I was really hoping for a sadder ending instead of- Harry comes back to life, finishes off Voldemort with all his friends, and they all lived happily ever after. The end. In my eyes, Harry Potter is not a fairy tale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom