Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

JimboJones123

Thanks -- stupid making dinner while finishing the book. The family should just learn to fend for themselves.. THIS IS HARRY POTTER -- WHY CAN'T THEY UNDERSTAND???

BiggerTigger

I thought in the epilogue when he was sending his kids off to school he reached up and felt his scar saying that it has been 19 years since it hurt.
:rolleyes: Sounds like JK is foreshadowing something? :animwink:

Even so, she did set up a lot for future books. The Deathly Hallows still exist and the Resurrection Stone is lost in the Forbidden Forrest.

Yes, JK said this was the last HP book, but that does not mean this could be the last of the series. :drevil:

lilclerk

Thanks -- stupid making dinner while finishing the book. The family should just learn to fend for themselves.. THIS IS HARRY POTTER -- WHY CAN'T THEY UNDERSTAND???

My sister says her kids ended up being quite neglected (ie: couldn't be up her butt all day saying "Mommy... Mommy I have to tell you something. Did you know that driving backwards down the highway with your eyes closed is against the law?" :lol:) in order for her to finish the book.

CaptainMichael

:rolleyes: Sounds like JK is foreshadowing something? :animwink:

Even so, she did set up a lot for future books. The Deathly Hallows still exist and the Resurrection Stone is lost in the Forbidden Forrest.

Yes, JK said this was the last HP book, but that does not mean this could be the last of the series. :drevil:

The future is definitely open, but the more I think about it, this was the end.

She ended it with Harry finally having the peaceful family life he always wanted.

dandaman

So, as I finally finished the book last night, I realized it was Harry's birthday. Irony. :lol:

Like many, I can't begin to describe the storytelling in this. One of my favourite parts was where the words "Magic Is Might" was carved over the entrance to what I think was the Ministry. Immediately I thought of the Nazi concentration camps that all had "Arbeit Mach Frei", or "Work Makes Freedom" over their entrances. A really interesting allusion on J.K.'s part.

A fitting end to the epic series that, 10 years ago, no one saw coming.

lunalovegoddess

So, as I finally finished the book last night, I realized it was Harry's birthday. Irony. :lol:

Like many, I can't begin to describe the storytelling in this. One of my favourite parts was where the words "Magic Is Might" was carved over the entrance to what I think was the Ministry. Immediately I thought of the Nazi concentration camps that all had "Arbeit Mach Frei", or "Work Makes Freedom" over their entrances. A really interesting allusion on J.K.'s part.

A fitting end to the epic series that, 10 years ago, no one saw coming.

Between the books and the movies, there were many parallels to Stalin, Hitler and other leaders and their abuse of power. In the OOTP movie, Fudge's poster reflected some of the propaganda posters from the mid-twentieth century. It really drove home the point that power is a corrupting influence, and the corruption of the Ministry throughout the series was a stark reminder that sometimes even the so-called "good guys" are just as susceptible. I liked that Dumbledore recognized that he, too, could be seduced by the power of the Hallows, and that although he might intend to do good things with that power, he might ignore the potential consequences.
It also reminded me of Galadriel's speech in LOTR: that she would do good with the Ring, but it would make of her a terrible goddess.

dandaman

Between the books and the movies, there were many parallels to Stalin, Hitler and other leaders and their abuse of power. In the OOTP movie, Fudge's poster reflected some of the propaganda posters from the mid-twentieth century.

Yep. Caught that one right off the bat, as well.

Also recently recognized another Charles Dickens-esque name: Fenrir Greyback. Fenrir, or Fenris, is actually a wolf featured prominently in Norse mythology.

BiggerTigger

The future is definitely open, but the more I think about it, this was the end.

She ended it with Harry finally having the peaceful family life he always wanted.
You are right, she ended it. There could be other writers to continue the story and the film franchise could continue on, not to mention comic books, and television series.

Though she holds the rights to most of Potter, I believe she gave the movie rights away. (I could be wrong but I think I read that some place.)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Jo has apparently done some serious research while writing Harry Potter.
Actually, JK is 'of an age' that would have studied Latin in her youth. Most who did would have no trouble creating various Latin words and phraseology to suit what she wanted to reflect. Xenophobia is a term meaning fear of difference or strangeness, to supplant phobia with philia, the finding of pleasure or love of something isn't complex at all and certainly wouldn't require research for anyone familiar with the basics of Latin.

Her love of Latin and her ability to use it in humourous ways is as easy to demonstrate as looking at the Hogwarts' motto on the crest: Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus - "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon"

[:eek: sorry, languages are my 'thing' :lol: ]

PinMadness

One of my favourite parts was where the words "Magic Is Might" was carved over the entrance to what I think was the Ministry. Immediately I thought of the Nazi concentration camps that all had "Arbeit Mach Frei", or "Work Makes Freedom" over their entrances. A really interesting allusion on J.K.'s part.

I was thinking the same thing! I wrote a whole blog about it actually, lol.

And as someone said above, I also thought of propaganda with the Fudge poster in the OotP. I leaned over to my boyfriend at that part and said "Whoa, Hitler." Really eerie stuff.

Number_6

Don't know if anybody already posted this, but I didn't see it. Aparently, this is a little more detail about what happened to the characters afterwards that wouldn't come from the book. It says it is from a JK Rowling interview, but it is on Wikipedia.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows#Epilogue

That link isn't working for me, but I assume it's the stuff from the chat transcript that lunalovegoddess linked to a few days ago in this thread. Fans were allowed to submit questions in an online chat with JKR and she answered a lot of questions about what the major characters did afterwards. And the chat was about a week after she was asked about it on I think, The Today Show or Good Morning America. Better details in the transcript, though, if you don't mind wading through it.

Here's the link to the transcript again, so you don't have to search for it: http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

Shere_Khan

I finally finished it last night - I know, I am slow. I have had such a busy time the last few weeks that every time I have a chance to read it is already 10 or 11 at night and I need my rest.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, the wand bit at the end was confusing to me, but thankfully that is why there are message boards and from reading here and a few other places I understood how Harry overpowered Voldemort in the end.

I read a book called The Great Snape Debate, in which the authors represented both sides of Snape's character before book 7 came out, and weighed the evidence in good and bad. They actually mentioned the possibility of Snape being in love with Lily. So I felt unfortunate that when it played out I had already had those suspicions. But what a great job on the part of the authors of that book. I would have never guessed it to be true.

I feel so awful for Snape, he is one of my favorite characters, and I was chomping at the bit when he was not in the entire book at all until the end. I just wanted to know what was going on with him.

Like most of you I did not really care for the epilogue, but I did love the part when he called his son Albus Severus. I about lost it.

Thanks for all your insight here, it was really interesting reading this entire thread this morning. I kept seeing it and wanting to open it up, but I had not finished yet and had to resist. :)

Lee

Adventurer
Finished it at Midnight the day after it came out.

Disliked the epilogue. Pointless and sappy.:mad:

HATED how Snape's death was handled. It almost ruined the book for me.
After all this time of building up the "is he or isn't he" storyline.....Voldy has the snake kill him. Quickly. No drama. No suspense. Snape deserved a HUGE moment at the climax of the book where he would once and for all turn on Voldy and show his true colors before dying. Instead of a bang, he went out with a whimper. :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom