Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

Pongo

I remembered another question that occurred to me. She makes a big deal in the book about how Harry's cloak offers perfect concealment, but just a few chapters before, the Bathilda-snake senses Harry and Hermione underneath it in Godric's Hollow and gets them to follow her/it back to the house.

And then in Book 4, isn't it a recurring theme that the fake Mad-Eye seems to know when Harry is there, even though he's under his cloak?

The only thing I can think of is that they "sensed" Harry under the cloak without actually seeing him...but that still doesn't seem like perfect concealment to me. :shrug:

I thought the reason that Nagini found Harry in Godric's hollow was because Voldemort knew where Harry was via their connection. Maybe I'm just trying to fill in the gaps with my own assumptions :shrug: :lol:

Wilt Dasney

I thought the reason that Nagini found Harry in Godric's hollow was because Voldemort knew where Harry was via their connection. Maybe I'm just trying to fill in the gaps with my own assumptions :shrug: :lol:

Would that work, though? Voldy didn't seem to be able to use the connection the way Harry did, or surely he would have found him more frequently in the book?

Perhaps too obvious, but as a snake, Nagini would be able to sense body heat, so maybe that explains it.

Wilt Dasney

Oh, I'm brimming with questions today....

How did Dumbledore beat Grindelwald in a duel when Grindelwald was using the Elder Wand? Was the "unbeatable wand" part something assigned to it by legend, when in reality it was just the world's most powerful wand? That would leave some room for an immensely skilled wizard with a less powerful wand to defeat it. If it was truly unbeatable, though, it could never be won in a duel, right? Only through treachery or surprise.

nibblesandbits

No, Voldemort had the legit Elder Wasnt when he stole it from Dumbledore's tomb. But who possessed the physical wand didn't really matter, it's the wand's allegiance that matters. Draco took Dumbledore's wand at the end of book six, so the wand's allegiance belonged to Draco, even if he didn't know it. Voldemort thought the allegiance was to Snape since Snape killed Dumbledore; that's why he gave the wand back to Snape and killed him. But when Harry took Draco's wand at the Malfoy's in book seven, the Elder Wand's allegiance switched over to Harry. Therefore, when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he couldn't because the wand couldn't curse it's owner.

I loved that. So great.
thank you. Like I understood that...but then didn't. It all got a bit confusing near the end. But that explained it very clearly. :kiss:

k.hunter30

So if the Elder Wand truly belonged to Harry all along and couldn't curse its master...why did it blast him into limbo or where-ever and leave him with a hella pain in the forehead on Voldemort's first try?

Hadn't really thought of that until reading this thread. :lol:
See, I think this is where the horcrux part comes in. I think it knocked him out so much b/c Voldemort actually DID kill a part of Harry -- the part of his own soul that was in Harry.

I remembered another question that occurred to me. She makes a big deal in the book about how Harry's cloak offers perfect concealment, but just a few chapters before, the Bathilda-snake senses Harry and Hermione underneath it in Godric's Hollow and gets them to follow her/it back to the house.

And then in Book 4, isn't it a recurring theme that the fake Mad-Eye seems to know when Harry is there, even though he's under his cloak?

The only thing I can think of is that they "sensed" Harry under the cloak without actually seeing him...but that still doesn't seem like perfect concealment to me. :shrug:
I thought the same thing about Mad Eye Moody

CaptainMichael

If it was truly unbeatable, though, it could never be won in a duel, right? Only through treachery or surprise.

Exactly...or Grindelwald was never truly the master of the wand because he stole it.

Am I the only one that wants to know what happened when Grindelwald was in power??? I want to know the whole story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, if he had a Horcrux, etc...

JimboJones123

Exactly...or Grindelwald was never truly the master of the wand because he stole it.

Am I the only one that wants to know what happened when Grindelwald was in power??? I want to know the whole story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, if he had a Horcrux, etc...
The Horcrux seems like something that isn't very well known of at all. I doubt Grindelwald would have a Horcrux. Dumbledore seemed kind of astonished when he dedused that Voldy was using them. He said it was Old Magic. One of the few times that Old Magic was refered to. Which generally seems to mean that it hadn't been used in at least scores of years if not hundreds.

Nicole220

Question:

Whatever happened to the last word of the last book being 'scar'?
I was wondering that as well. Hasn't that info been out for a few years?

I felt like a dork because I told all my friends that that was the last word. Once they finished, I got a bunch of calls from them telling me I was wrong. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom