Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

Number_6

I remembered another question that occurred to me. She makes a big deal in the book about how Harry's cloak offers perfect concealment, but just a few chapters before, the Bathilda-snake senses Harry and Hermione underneath it in Godric's Hollow and gets them to follow her/it back to the house.

And then in Book 4, isn't it a recurring theme that the fake Mad-Eye seems to know when Harry is there, even though he's under his cloak?

The only thing I can think of is that they "sensed" Harry under the cloak without actually seeing him...but that still doesn't seem like perfect concealment to me. :shrug:

Nagini had been watching the graveyard for someone going to visit the Potter's grave. Seeing two people placing flowers there, the most likely thing was that it was Harry in disguise. After Harry and Hermione went to put the invisibility cloak on, they still had to contend with the issue that originally made them not bother with it when walking into town... footprints. All you really need is to watch where the footprints are and make sure you are right there with them. The cloak does conceal the wearer perfectly, just it can't conceal where the wearer has been if there is something like snow or mud.

Oh, I'm brimming with questions today....

How did Dumbledore beat Grindelwald in a duel when Grindelwald was using the Elder Wand? Was the "unbeatable wand" part something assigned to it by legend, when in reality it was just the world's most powerful wand? That would leave some room for an immensely skilled wizard with a less powerful wand to defeat it. If it was truly unbeatable, though, it could never be won in a duel, right? Only through treachery or surprise.

It's possible that's one of the things that Rita Skeeter's book got right. It may have been that after all those years, Grindelwald just couldn't bear to fight his old friend Dumbledore and he agreed to surrender. Thus, the mastery of the wand would be transferred to Dumbledore. They had to come back and say there had been a grand duel that ended in his capture to keep Dumbledore's past out of the spotlight. If it came to be known that Grindelwald just surrendered outright to Dumbledore, people might have started questioning why that was, when he wouldn't surrender to anyone else.

CaptainMichael

Someone just told me that, roughly translated, "Xenophilius" means "lover of strange things." How fitting.

Jo has apparently done some serious research while writing Harry Potter.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Ron was able to open the CoS??? Also, I think Voldemort should have hidden the diadem in the CoS...it would have been safer because, you (allegedly) have to be a parselmouth to get in.

Number_6

Also, I think Voldemort should have hidden the diadem in the CoS...it would have been safer because, you (allegedly) have to be a parselmouth to get in.

But Voldemort was under the impression that he was so clever hiding the diadem where he did because he thought he was the only one that knew where that hiding place was located. It hadn't occurred to him that anyone else had ever found the Room of Requirement looking that way. So from his point of view, that was the safest place to put it. He didn't realize that tons of students has already found it and that was why it had been so full of stuff in the first place. Just goes to show that even dark wizards can out think themselves.

sissa216

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Ron was able to open the CoS??? Also, I think Voldemort should have hidden the diadem in the CoS...it would have been safer because, you (allegedly) have to be a parselmouth to get in.

Very. Although the book was brilliant, there were a few moments like this one where I feel she just went for a quick solution....I mean, doesn't Ron say something like he had listened to Harry very closely and figured out how to say it himself?? It was kind of a cop out.
If she'd spent a little less time focusing on the dragged out months of despair in hiding, and a little more time giving us improved versions of scenes such as this one, it would have been perfect.
As it stands, it still blew me away though :sohappy:

JimboJones123

But Voldemort was under the impression that he was so clever hiding the diadem where he did because he thought he was the only one that knew where that hiding place was located. It hadn't occurred to him that anyone else had ever found the Room of Requirement looking that way. So from his point of view, that was the safest place to put it. He didn't realize that tons of students has already found it and that was why it had been so full of stuff in the first place. Just goes to show that even dark wizards can out think themselves.
Your overconfidence will be your downfall.

Nicole220

That bugged me as well. Speaking parseltongue does not sound like something you can hear once and try and repeat it, let alone actually get it right!

Uponastar

Jo has apparently done some serious research while writing Harry Potter.

Very. Although the book was brilliant, there were a few moments like this one where I feel she just went for a quick solution....I mean, doesn't Ron say something like he had listened to Harry very closely and figured out how to say it himself?? It was kind of a cop out.
If she'd spent a little less time focusing on the dragged out months of despair in hiding, and a little more time giving us improved versions of scenes such as this one, it would have been perfect.
As it stands, it still blew me away though :sohappy:

I saw that scene as a quick fix, too.
Definitely one of the weaker parts.
But still. . . I loved the book. It is a great ending to a brilliant series.

BiggerTigger

If I recall (and I finished reading last night) when he was in King's Crossing the scar was gone. But when he was on platform with his kids getting ready to go to Hogwarts some people were staring at his scar. So I do believe he still has it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom