Spoiler, book discussion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

imagineer boy

Really? That's a difficult trade-in...

I think it makes sense that she decided not to kill off Mr. Weasley. He almost died in the fifth book, so it wouldn't make any sense for him to survive near death only to be killed later on.

BTW, I can't wait for the HP Encyclopedia!!! That sounds awesome. She also mentioned that she might make more fake text books ( like she did for Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them and Quidditch through the Years ). I hope she does Hogwarts a History.

Erika

I think it makes sense that she decided not to kill off Mr. Weasley. He almost died in the fifth book, so it wouldn't make any sense for him to survive near death only to be killed later on.

According to the article, it was in book 5 that she had planned to kill him off. Apparently when she decided to spare him, she was thinking ahead.

JimboJones123

Ahh thank you. Thats who it was! it was making me nuts trying to remember.
Yeah Harry sticks with his trusty... Expelliarmis!
And it was Expelliarmis that won in the end. It is also the same spell that met Voldy in GOF that won for Harry. Did it really gain them much from using the unforgivible curses? Couldn't they just have beat the Callows another way? They didn't seem to be the brightest of magic folk to begin with.

Pongo

And it was Expelliarmis that won in the end. It is also the same spell that met Voldy in GOF that won for Harry. Did it really gain them much from using the unforgivible curses? Couldn't they just have beat the Callows another way? They didn't seem to be the brightest of magic folk to begin with.

As all Death Eaters are.

McGonagal could have easily killed both of them in Ravenclaw Tower, but instead she decided to hang from the ceiling. I think the only time the good guys resorted to unforgivable curses was when they were also on the recieving end of them. In which case, I find it, well, forgivable.

Timmay

Also, J.K. confirmed today that Mr. Weasley was the character that was supposed to die, and Lupin and Tonks got the ax instead.

LOL...I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only about the person, but she actually revealed who it was...:lol:

Timmay

I thought the Christ-figure was a bit too prominent for my taste, to be honest. :shrug:

Well, if you would have done your homework, you would have known all along this was going to be the case!:hammer: If you have read about JK Rowling, and seen her interviews, there is not doubt what her beliefs are and what she wanted from the books.

When asked by a Canadian journalist if she was a Christian, Rowling said
Yes, I am, which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I’ve been asked if I believe in God, I’ve said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what’s coming in the books.

When asked in a London Times interview if she belived in God, she responded
"This is so frustrating. Again, there is so much I would like to say, and come back when I’ve written book seven. But then maybe I won’t need to even say it ’cause you’ll have found it out anyway. You’ll have read it." Meanwhile, Rowling remains a member of the Church of Scotland and keeps saying, “I believe in God, not magic.” She also has stated that the magical elements in her books come from her studies in British folklore. This means she is trying to tap some of the same wellsprings as C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and even Charles Dickens.

And, two of the quotes and themes we see in this book come directly from the Bible. On the grave of Kendra and Ariana Dumbledore are the words Jesus spoke from the sermon on the mount: "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). On the grave of the Potters: "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (1 Corinthians 15:26).

I am not sure why anyone didn't see this coming, or even be upset by it.

CaptainMichael

J.K. had considered two other titles for Deathly Hallows, one of them was revealed by her:

Harry Potter and the Elder Wand

Out of the two, I prefer Deathly Hallows.

JimboJones123

Jesus in HP --

In Diagon Alley, they have dates above doors: Est. xxx BC or AD or something. So, the wizard world follows the Christian Calender. They also Celebrate Christmas every year. That is a Christian Holiday right? Was this the first book that brought up EASTER??? Wern't students away on EASTER HOLIDAY for something? EASTER -- That is a Christian Holiday too right. I wish the Christians vs Potter debate would just die. She clearly makes mention of these things to let readers know that the wizard world is connected to the Christian world. Everything Wizard gets a holiday for the Christian holiday. Keep this in mind Bible Bashers. She's on your side.

CaptainMichael

Jesus in HP --

In Diagon Alley, they have dates above doors: Est. xxx BC or AD or something. So, the wizard world follows the Christian Calender. They also Celebrate Christmas every year. That is a Christian Holiday right? Was this the first book that brought up EASTER??? Wern't students away on EASTER HOLIDAY for something? EASTER -- That is a Christian Holiday too right. I wish the Christians vs Potter debate would just die. She clearly makes mention of these things to let readers know that the wizard world is connected to the Christian world. Everything Wizard gets a holiday for the Christian holiday. Keep this in mind Bible Bashers. She's on your side.

Also, there is a church in Godric's Hallow...a wizarding village.

Number_6

I'm sorry but the deaths were of two people who I never heard of? I heard they were killing off one of the main characters! Lame....

Two people you've never heard of? Have you even read the other books? Lupin was a huge player in the third book and has been used steadily in the following books. Tonks was introduced in book five and was a character I was very fond of in that book. She also showed up multiple times in book six. I wouldn't call them minor characters or unknown by any stretch.

tiggergirl1818

Just finished,

Took me ages to read, i had to keep putting it down after every few chapters at the beginning because it was just so depressing and so up and down (eg sonething good then something bad then something good) it was exhausing to read.

I felt it only picked up after the visit to Godric's Hollow, after that it was gripping.

Don't get me wrong.......I LOVED the whole book, but it was just so emotionally draining to read.

Peaches Magee

Also, there is a church in Godric's Hallow...a wizarding village.

Exactly! And yes they always mention Christian holidays.
Why do people bash her about God vs. magic.
it is fiction... and brilliantly imaginative fiction at that!

I mean HOW many other book releases have millions of people, adults and children alike, lined up at midnight to get it.

No matter what if anything.. this woman alone and her genius mind has gotten sooo many people to pick up a book excitedly and read.
I respect her so much. And I live the religion out of it.

Geesh some people just always have to try and find something to bash on.
:rolleyes:
(this isn't at all directed to you, STR8, I just grabbed your quote cause you are wicked cool :)

Oh and I also prefer Deathly Hallows... evokes more thought and intrigue, as well as makes you think and know then ultimately it would end in death, whether Harry, Voldy or both.
She does love to lead us down dark alleys for sure :)

Dukeblue1016

I thought Fred was clearly the most "main" character to have been killed... pretty obvious... but for second, which no one is mentioning... to me was Hedwig... I mean Hedwig was his one link to the Wizarding World for 7 books while he was at the Dursley's every summer... I mean, when she referred to two main characters i think it had to be Fred and Lupin... but I thought Hedwig was the second most depressing... he was just a nice friendly owl... poor little thing...

imagineer boy

Don't get me wrong.......I LOVED the whole book, but it was just so emotionally draining to read.

I agree, it was pretty emotionally draining to read. Especially the middle part when Ron left. The whole situation just seemed so hopeless. But I still loved the whole book. The battle of Hogwarts part was worth the price of the book alone!

Peaches Magee

I thought Fred was clearly the most "main" character to have been killed... pretty obvious... but for second, which no one is mentioning... to me was Hedwig... I mean Hedwig was his one link to the Wizarding World for 7 books while he was at the Dursley's every summer... I mean, when she referred to two main characters i think it had to be Fred and Lupin... but I thought Hedwig was the second most depressing... he was just a nice friendly owl... poor little thing...

Me too... Fred hot me hard... she should have off'ed Percy for being such a git for so long. Made me hurt that the twins were separated by death. I know they are just characters, but you feel the humorous bond with them and that made it rough for me.
Hedwig was really hard for me too, especially because he kept saying "you will be able to fly soon." Dobby hit me hard. Just how devoted he was and everything. I really liked Lupin's character especially the way he was going in Book 7...but I kind of felt it coming with the kid coming adn him being happy and then naming Harry godfather and all... but didnt think Tonks would go too. Makes little Teddy kind of like Harry in that way.

And I kinda knew Snape would die also, and it made me sad actually... I truly liked Snape always knew he was good in his way. I think I love him so much because of Alan Rickman portrayal of him.. he is brilliant, brings the character to life for me.

Connor002

Well, if you would have done your homework, you would have known all along this was going to be the case!:hammer: If you have read about JK Rowling, and seen her interviews, there is not doubt what her beliefs are and what she wanted from the books.
With all respect (which you seemed to have skipped for me), how does J.K. Rowling's religious beliefs and my "homework" affect my thoughts on the prominence of a Christ-figure? :hammer: :shrug:

Connor002

Jesus in HP --

Also, the entire "Godfather" thing.
Unless Rowling was offering a tribute to Marlon Brando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom