Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

The Empress Lilly

I can't agree with you that isn't a conflict of interest because it isn't our place to be judge and jury on that. I personally am not an expert on that field, but we don't know if they knew about it or what. If Disney doesn't care, it's a non-event and this whole discussion doesn't matter. I find it hard to believe that someone would get a manager job without someone asking what she was up to for years.
I have no choice but to agree that we can't know Disney's opinion on her being employed at TWDC and the NYTC at the same time. (And doing a Ph.D at the same time too!)

I infer that from her having worked for both Disney and the NYTC for a decade, resulting in Disney promoting her. So apparantly they don't see a conflict of interest. I assume (confessing it is an assumption again) that her free-lance articles (such as 'women commemorate their pregnancy' http://www.theledger.com/article/20111030/NEWSCHIEF/110305000) were considered great work experience for writing similar small articles for roughly the same target audience on the Disney blog.

The Empress Lilly

Am I the only one who has gotten lost on the last 25 pages seemed to have popped up within 2 or 3 days??? Like Sue said, I'd rather hear about Disney stuff that's interesting, not about some lady that I have no idea who she is who seems to have a faulty resume/job not qualified for??? This is really what this thread has turned into? LOL
Yes, because it turned out that there is no faulty resume. :)
But there is a woman who is wantonly threatened in her job at Disney. Which would be the second time in this thread, making it a running theme - the first one was the CM who was terminated by letter after seventeen years of service.

Call me mad, but I dislike injustice. Just because you work for Disney does not mean you or your livelihood can be disrespected. You don't pull a Disney character by his tail, you don't call a CM a liar, and you don't call a Disney pr worker a liar.

SirOinksALot

Am I the only one who has gotten lost on the last 25 pages seemed to have popped up within 2 or 3 days??? Like Sue said, I'd rather hear about Disney stuff that's interesting, not about some lady that I have no idea who she is who seems to have a faulty resume/job not qualified for??? This is really what this thread has turned into? LOL
This is Spirit's thread - he gets to launch poorly substantiated personal attacks against whomever he pleases here.

All joking aside, anyone who refers to himself as having Internet armor needs some serious help.

The Empress Lilly

I don't think I'd put too much weight behind that.... a PhD in Text & Technology? That's the actual cringe-worthy part of her page.
I am seriously considering buying...erm, studying for such a Ph.D myself too!

But I'm too busy enrolling for her 'creative nonfiction' major! Bless the Arts and Humanities, an endless source of amusement.

The Empress Lilly

What will come of all of this? Don't know.
Disney (Burbank) is aware of it now, as is The Times. It's up to them.

On the subject of agendas (again...), I have one, 74 has one...almost everyone does. Some of us have stated that we are unhappy with how the Disney Social Media department works, and would like to see some wholesale changes made. No secret there.
In the immortal words of Nicholson's Joker, "This town needs an enema!"
Here's a rub: a liar operates in the hope the lie isn't found out. However, ms. Fickley-Baker couldn't possibly have hoped that somebody really thinks she wrote for the NYT. People would ask at an interview. People would google, and would find the first fifty thousand hits show Ledger articles. One does not lie when one is certain to be found out.
No, ms. Fickley-Baker has got nothing to hide. She did work as a local correspondent for media that does self-identify as NYTC. See my link above. ;)

JFB carefully picked her words, avoiding both the phrases 'correspondent' and 'NYT'. She picked 'local correspondent, NYTC'. Not because she believes people are dense enough to read that as 'NYT correspondent' (come on, did anybody here really read her profile as stating that she is a NYT corrspondent?).
Ms. Fickley-Baker identifying with the more prestigious umbrella company is no more a lie than her job position being called 'social media manager' instead of 'paid blogger'. It's just polish and spit. Her very own employer insists that Ledger employees identify the newspaper as a NYTC one.

One has to be pretty certain before attacking somebody in her livelihood. By which I don't mean you in particular, nor those more inquisitive for the truth rather than eager for outcry. Just because somebody works for The Walt Disney Company does not make them fair game. Does not mean one has a right to insult, call into question their morality, or harass them.

As social media manager, part of ms. Fickler-Baker's responsibilities is TWDC - customer relations. It really does hurt her position if the customer base is rallied into a pitchforked mob.

Sadly, I do believe the former and current employer of ms. Fickley-Baker really have been contacted, hoping to use 'public outrage' against her. Threatening an actual, real, living person in her livelihood. A young woman with a very young baby. Think about that for a second. A young woman is harassed, called a liar, her employer contacted.

And over what? Did she beat her young child? No, her 'offense' is that her LinkedIn profile work history lists the parent company she worked for. For this her employers are contacted by angry people on the internets, insiting she is a liar who needs to be terminated. Wow. And they claim morality too.

RealBobIger

Hiya, folks!

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of you for bringing this important issue to my attention. We at the Walt Disney Company take the integrity of all our cast very seriously, and, frankly, we count on each and every one of you to help hold us accountable. You are an important part of our Disney family (or 'ohana, as Lilo would say!), and I value the input of our most passionate fans in the online communities. Keep up the great work, especially those of you who put in tireless hours each and every single day. I mean it - I don't know how you do it.

Speaking of 'ohana, have you heard Disney's best kept secret? If not, it is a little thing we call the Disney Vacation Club, and, boy, do we have a magical Hawaiian offer for you! Just click here to order your free Disney Vacation Club DVD!

Thanks again for the mental and emotional energy you all devote to our fantastic Company!

Bob

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hiya, folks!

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of you for bringing this important issue to my attention. We at the Walt Disney Company take the integrity of all our cast very seriously, and, frankly, we count on each and every one of you to help hold us accountable. You are an important part of our Disney family (or 'ohana, as Lilo would say!), and I value the input of our most passionate fans in the online communities. Keep up the great work, especially those of you who put in tireless hours each and every single day. I mean it - I don't know how you do it.

Speaking of 'ohana, have you heard Disney's best kept secret? If not, it is a little thing we call the Disney Vacation Club, and, boy, do we have a magical Hawaiian offer for you! Just click here to order your free Disney Vacation Club DVD!

Thanks again for the mental and emotional energy you all devote to our fantastic Company!

Bob

Were it not for the DVC ad...I'd wonder if this was a fake post. :p

ParentsOf4

Here's how to tell it's not the real Bob Iger:

1. Did not use the word "brand".
2. Did not use the word "synergy".
3. Said that he values "the input of our most passionate fans in the online communities."
Iger also likes to use the phrase "pricing leverage" when speaking about the theme parks.

It's his way of saying more WDW and DLR price increases are coming.:(

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Hiya, folks!

Bob

No no no, he would have said:

Hello,

I'm glad to have had these concerns brought to my attention, we truly value Disney fan feedback. However, I respectfully disagree that Disney did not proceed with the most thorough vetting process. We highly value the Disney brand image and we expect our employees to hold themselves to high standards of excellence and integrity.

The Disney brand has never been better and we believe moving forward you will be excited at the near seamless transitions and synergies that can be found with our newly acquired IP. We are excited for the future and plan on leveraging these new brands across our theme parks worldwide.

Thanks for your passion in the Disney brand.

Sincerely,
Bob Iger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom