Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Figments Friend

If there is too much hustle and bustle, I have many other suggestions on how to slow things down: bring back trees and benches in parks (Phil Holmes does NOT want you to sit down!), bring back small scale entertainment property wide, maintain and update the smaller attractions, keep parks open later when warranted, and structure policies and pricing (reservations, dining plan, ticket prices, MM+, etc.) so that they don't explicitly encourage the park commando mentality. Let's not pretend that Disney didn't help create this type-A, hyper-planning, park touring monster.

Agree regarding the trees.
Perhaps it is time i pulled out my old Disney Village photos that show all the trees, open spaces, and yes, benches that used to be down there.
I was looking at one of my old WDW books and there were a few photos of DV that were surprising to see again. I was reminded of how nice it used to be before it became a urban-shopping-meca. It used to be more environmental, cozy, and scenic in a more sophisticated, natural way. Lots of greenery.

Over the years however, that changed.
Bascially, every tree was leveled and all availible space was pretty much paved.
A definate sharp contrast to what was before.
It was rather sad looking at the photos, but it also gave me some hope that the re-do of DTD will bring back some of the ambiance from the past.

This is one of the elememts i am liking about the new Disney Springs plans...is the return of some green spaces. The water elements, additonal trees and other vegetation, plus the re-theming of the area to make it less urban will be nice change. I think it is good that Disney is seeking to capture some of those past elements, but also keeping it contemporary enough for the shopaholics.

Figments Friend

Fitzgerald now has complete control over the DL Portfolio. Tony being invited back to WDI will not happen at least not as long as Bruce Vaughn is still the leader.
-
Frustrating...and depressing it is.

I spent about two hours last night reading up on the complete history of all the drama that has been going on out at DL over the past three years. The promotion merry-go-rounds, political moves, and even a few dashes of true insight.

I felt a need to refresh my memory, and it was good to do as now so many peices of the puzzle seem to fit together now in hindsight. Hindsight often does that, but of course, there are still some curiousities. Some memories however are best left in a box.

Re-learning about some of the past ups and downs at WDI helped confirm some things i was told in the past was true, and it also brought to light how sometimes things can get blown way out of proportion and misconceptions can come about.
I find it all fasinating, but at the same time depressing.

I would LIKE to see Tony have some imput in the future as far as new attractions go, but my common sense tells me that the chances of that happening are fairly slim. I hope i am proved wrong.....
Despite what some may feel about him on a personal level, he truly is a great asset to the Company that should not just be cast to the wayside and forgotten.
The new-regiment mentality however needs to change it's mindset..and fast.

scpergj

Agree regarding the trees.
Perhaps it is time i pulled out my old Disney Village photos that show all the trees, open spaces, and yes, benches that used to be down there.
I was looking at one of my old WDW books and there were a few photos of DV that were surprising to see again. I was reminded of how nice it used to be before it became a urban-shopping-meca. It used to be more environmental, cozy, and scenic in a more sophisticated, natural way. Lots of greenery.

Over the years however, that changed.
Bascially, every tree was leveled and all availible space was pretty much paved.
A definate sharp contrast to what was before.
It was rather sad looking at the photos, but it also gave me some hope that the re-do of DTD will bring back some of the ambiance from the past.

This is one of the elememts i am liking about the new Disney Springs plans...is the return of some green spaces. The water elements, additonal trees and other vegetation, plus the re-theming of the area to make it less urban will be nice change. I think it is good that Disney is seeking to capture some of those past elements, but also keeping it contemporary enough for the shopaholics.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot....

TinkerBell9988

Heh heh...i had to smirk when i read this comment in the article above about the forthcoming DTD makeover :
"We want to be able to create these great locations where people have an opportunity to relax and get away from the harried hustle and bustle that sometimes people experience on their vacations."

Harried hustle and bustile...that comes with being on vacation??
Welcome to modern touring...!
Remember when a visit to WDW was indeed relaxing and not hectic...before FP, Dining Plans, and commando touring mentality entered the picture?
The scene is so different now when compared to the past.​

TDO is responsible for creating this "hustle and bustle vacation" mentality in their guests! Ugh. Makes me wanna throw my laptop at the wall.

TinkerBell9988

-

I spent about two hours last night reading up on the complete history of all the drama that has been going on out at DL over the past three years. The promotion merry-go-rounds, political moves, and even a few dashes of true insight.

I felt a need to refresh my memory, and it was good to do as now so many peices of the puzzle seem to fit together now in hindsight. Hindsight often does that, but of course, there are still some curiousities. Some memories however are best left in a box.

Re-learning about some of the past ups and downs at WDI helped confirm some things i was told in the past was true, and it also brought to light how sometimes things can get blown way out of proportion and misconceptions can come about.

I would LIKE to see Tony have some imput in the future as far as new attractions go, but my common sense tells me that the chances of that happening are fairly slim. I hope i am proved wrong.....
Despite what some may feel about him on a personal level, he truly is a great asset to the Company that should not just be cast to the wayside and forgotten.

Did you read this online? Would it be possible for you to PM me the links? I too would like to refresh my memory, as it is a bit hazy with all this drama.

fosse76

That would be easy to predict. The Government, under the heading of ADA laws, would be all over them like stink on, well you know. Laws are the savior and culprit in this situations.

Some high level, tie wearing geek decided that people with handicaps would be "embarrassed" to have to prove, via documentation, that they have a legitimate need. They somehow felt that it would be less embarrassing to be constantly looked at and evaluated as to the reality of their condition because there was no allowance for reasonable verification. I would doubt that any of the people that wrote the laws were ever in a position of having a disability and therefore thought (or didn't think, in this case) with their heart and not their brain. Good intentions, lousy results coupled with stubborn stances to never admit they were wrong, equals a continued abusing of a law that was meant to help, but really didn't.

I think most people would be surprised to learn that the ADA is not this all-encompassing law that requires accomodation for every scratch people can come with. "Disability" is very clearly and narrowly defined under the ADA, and many of the ailments that GACs are issued for would not be covered. Technically speaking, if you have a broken leg and are confined to a wheelchair for six weeks, you are NOT covered by the ADA, because the condition is considered to be temporary over a short term. A disability under the ADA must "limit one or more major life activities." Being old and unable to stand for two hours straight is not necessarily an ADA disability. So Disney is not required to allow you to drive around on a scooter, either. Providing ample benches for resting would be compliant. The problem is that the ADA, although it has a significant number of standards for physical accomodations, really does have to be applied on an individual basis. And let's face it, no two people will make the same judgment consistently. It's easier for Disney (i.e., less liability) to be over-accomodating than to really assess each individual as per need.

With that in mind, Disney can absolutely limit the number of GACs, and no, they aren't prevented from inquiring as to a disability. While HIPPA does involve medical privacy, it involves disclosure by third parties. It simply means your insurance company, employer, doctor, school, or Disney cannot disclose your medical information without your consent. Under ADA, employers are allowed to ask about a disability...there is nothing that prohibits a public place of accomodation from doing the same. There are some limitations, of course (if you identify your dog as a service animal, they cannot ask for proof that it is a service animal or that you need it, though they can ask what type of skills the animal has and what services it provides).

Disney has chosen the path of least resistance. But they absolutely can change it.

Genie of the Lamp

-

Well I had no luck finding that vid, however I did find a twitter pic showing Tony and others at the Fantasy Faire Presentation:
BFXDlZlCAAAblEF.jpg:large

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fosse - ada specifically prohibits requiring proof - it has nothing to do with hippa

Second - you should read the later interpretations and not just the original law. The problem is the interpretation afterwards has been way too broad. So while originally it was envisioned for actual permanent life altering disabilities... It has been expanded to include far more. If if alters normal life activities... Your at risk of seeing it covered unless its been specifically excluded. The interpretation of the law has been disgusting IMO

Figments Friend

Did you read this online? Would it be possible for you to PM me the links? I too would like to refresh my memory, as it is a bit hazy with all this drama.

A quick Google search will bring up some interesting reads...but you have to take it all with a grain of salt, exspecially some of the stuff being posted in alternative fan forums in the Disney universe. Some of it is eye opening, some of it is just fodder, and some of it is indeed truth. The tricky part is being able to tell the difference and keeping a open mind.

I think this is one of the very few Forums that have kept things *nice*...and have had people respectful of Mr. Baxter*s situation and privacy.
I thank the real insiders for that..you know who you are!
:)

John

Stores such as Best Buy, Dick's, Gander Mtn, Staples, and the like of a moderate size easily have an annual theft of at least $125,000. Larger stores crack $250,000 easily in loss. Stores such as those that WDW maintains have a much much higher traffic rate any given day of the year. It would be easy for each larger store to blow those annual numbers out of the water. That is those numbers at EACH larger store.

When my son was younger he worked at Walmart. He said that thier shrinkage in one year was 1.7 million dollars. This wasnt theft alone but total shrinkage.

Captain Neo

Fitzgerald now has complete control over the DL Portfolio. Tony being invited back to WDI will not happen at least not as long as Bruce Vaughn is still the leader.

I know that but I was hoping one of the insiders would chime in in case they heard anything saying otherwise

BlueSkyDriveBy

I know that but I was hoping one of the insiders would chime in in case they heard anything saying otherwise
Tony was deliberately put into limbo by Vaughn so as to keep him away from anything meaningful being worked on in Glendale. By changing his position from active Senior Vice President to occasional advisor with the caveat that any current Imagineer wanting Tony's advice needs to get permission from Vaughn in order to seek it effectively squashes any input Tony might be able to give. His new position is basically a no man's land of isolation which Vaughn completely controls.

As for future projects, there's only a snowball's chance that Baxter will be consulted on anything, no matter who's in charge. Rumor has it that WDI is about to undergo a major restructuring, and anyone over the age of 55 pretty much has a bulls eye on his/her back. Seniority has now become a detriment to continued employment at WDI. You can basically kiss the "old school" Imagineers (what's left of them) goodbye.

Lee

Adventurer
Rumor has it that WDI is about to undergo a major restructuring, and anyone over the age of 55 pretty much has a bulls eye on his/her back. Seniority has now become a detriment to continued employment at WDI. You can basically kiss the "old school" Imagineers (what's left of them) goodbye.
Quoted for seriousness. Tony could well have just been the beginning.

Gomer

Quoted for seriousness. Tony could well have just been the beginning.

Aside from the negatives of good people losing their jobs, is there any possibility that this could be a good thing? Is this purely out with the overpaid, or is it make room for new blood? Not to sound callous, but sometimes when things get stale you need to shake things up regardless of past successes or reputations.

I obviously have no real insight on this. Just looking for some bit of silver lining on that dark cloud.

Lee

Adventurer
Aside from the negatives of good people losing their jobs, is there any possibility that this could be a good thing? Is this purely out with the overpaid, or is it make room for new blood? Not to sound callous, but sometimes when things get stale you need to shake things up regardless of past successes or reputations.

I obviously have no real insight on this. Just looking for some bit of silver lining on that dark cloud.
Dumping some big salaries is part of it, but not all.

I'm sure that having a lot if youth in the department is good...but not at the cost of losing major talent and experience.

Want to trim the fat? Fine.
But I'm sure there is some fat in the younger ranks, too. Hell, they waste more money than cuts will save.

ParentsOf4

I don't see how. This might be more indicative of Disney not having enough projects for these folks to work on, which does not bode well for the theme parks.

TWDC's senior executives view their employees largely as replaceable cogs in a gigantic wheel. I wish they had the ability to self-access how replaceable most of them are, rather than awarding themselves multi-million dollar bonuses and stock options. As is true with most major corporations, the executives running the show tend to believe their companies would collapse without them. The reality is that there are 100 highly qualified candidates for most senior executive positions. Getting these these positions tends to be more about making the right connections than performing well.

Gomer

I don't see how. This might be more indicative of Disney not having enough projects for these folks to work on, which does not bode well for the theme parks.

TWDC's senior executives view their employees largely as replaceable cogs in a gigantic wheel. I wish they had the ability to self-access how replaceable most of them are, rather than awarding themselves multi-million dollar bonuses and stock options. As is true with most major corporations, the executives running the show tend to believe their companies would collapse without them. The reality is that there are 100 highly qualified candidates for most senior executive positions. Getting these these positions tends to be more about making the right connections than performing well.

A problem all too present in most large companies these days it seems. Although it would be great if top level executives appreciated talent and hard work (a long shot at best) the two don't need to be mutually exclusive. It is possible that even very talented people get beaten down by the corporate world over time and may not be willing to risk their neck as much as a young, cocky upstart. Or maybe they just don't have the will to fight the system anymore. It occurs at large companies all the time that good ideas are seen to fruition in spite of their executives (who later take all responsibility for them). The Disneys (or even the Eisners) are few and far between. For most executives it is about the bottom line and nothing else. But maybe it takes young blood to work around and fight against that in order to get things done.

Or maybe I'm just overly optimistic today and fooling myself into seeing a way out of the downward spiral.

ParentsOf4

Or maybe I'm just overly optimistic today and fooling myself into seeing a way out of the downward spiral.
Sadly, you are being too optimistic.:(

In 1960, the CEO-to-worker compensation ratio was about 20-to-1.

In 1980, that number had risen to about 30-to-1.

As recently as 1990, the number was under 60-to-1.

In 2011, the ratio stood at 231-to-1.

Iger's CEO-to-CM compensation ratio is close to 2000-to-1.

Walt Disney, who built the company through his own effort, risking his money many times, never collected more than about $150,000 in annual compensation, about $1M adjusted for inflation. At the time of his death, Walt was worth about $35 million, about $250 million today. In today's age of mega billionaires, Walt would have been a pauper.

Walt was no fool but he was not obsessed with money either. It's not what drove him. As Walt said:
I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things, I wanted to build things. Get something going. People look at me in different ways. Some of them say, 'The guy has no regard for money.' That is not true. I have had regard for money. But I'm not like some people who worship money as something you've got to have piled up in a big pile somewhere. I've only thought of money in one way, and that is to do something with it, you see? I don't think there is a thing that I own that I will ever get the benefit of, except through doing things with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom