Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Sneezy62

Virtually the only recourse I have as a retailer is to simply ban people I know are shoplifters from coming in the store. Disney COULD do this as they have control over who enters the parks. Just a few highly public cases of sweet sixteen Suzie's family not being able to go to Disney because she's a little thief would go a long way toward deterrence. Not sure how MAGICal that would look on "The Today Show" though.

Goofyernmost

That's actually the law in many states...that the theft must actually be witnessed. The problem is that is not usually applied by retailers...if they only think they saw someone steal they often pursue the theft. Also, there are limits to what employees/security guards can do. They are not the police, and have no authority whatsoever (of course, that also depends on the state, some may give security guards a little more power). For them to detain someone for stealing, they are required to call the police, otherwise they are illegally restraining someone. So there are other reasons than PR, but I think Disney's reasoning is mostly PR.
I don't want them detained, I want them thrown from the park. With explicit instructions to not let the door hit them in the on the way out, and don't bother to return...ever!

Figments Friend

Michel den Dulk and Tony Baxter in PFF:

Disneyland-Fantasy-Faire-8.jpg

http://www.adventuresbydaddy.com/2013/03/11/disneylands-fantasy-faire-a-royal-treat/

Fabulous photo ! Thanks for sharing !
Just busting at the seams with happiness about Tony being a part of this.

ParentsOf4

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge this weekend, although spending our theme park days at Universal which, by the way, is looking awesome. Lots of ongoing expansion, apparent high quality (haven't noticed any broken effects so far with excellent maintence in guest areas), and friendly CMs.

We were at WDW last Thanksgiving and received separate KTTW cards for that stay. Although those KTTW cards used RFID technology for the room doors, there was no mention of it on the cards. The new cards have the following added to the back:

"This card interacts with radio frequency technology. For information, visit disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/"

I wonder if this change was made after the official MyMagic+ announcement in January. Perhaps there were numerous questions about it because of the news coverage it received.

Separately, I noticed the car gate at AKL start to rise on 2 different occasions while I was approximately 40-to-80 feet away. The guard might have done this from his office but I intentionally removed my car check-in placard from my windshield the second time to see if it might be related to the new media. Maybe the guard opened the gate for me anyway. I'll try to talk with the guard tomorrow if I have time. (WWOHP is calling.:))

Between the additional information on the back of the KTTW card and the behavior at the gate, I wonder if the new KTTW cards have been upgraded to use Ultra High Frequency (UHF) passive tags, which have farther read ranges. (HF passive tags typically have a range of less than 3 feet.)

I really don't know what to make of the change, just mentioning 2 observations that might be completely coincidental and could turn out to mean nothing.

Monsterfan99

Well, when you have all of these ridiculous and hard to prove things such as GAC cards (no one is ever questioned! and if you talk to most Cast in Guest Realtions, this is the #1 most annoying part of their day), fake GAC cards, fake Make-A-Wish buttons and t-shirts, whether or not you cut into the Fastpass line, whether or not you really need to use the alternate entrance, whether or not you really lost your Fastpass, whether or not the spill on your shirt is legitimate and not a scam to get a free shirt with a no strings or that "world-class" Guest service, children riding on the laps of parents on a rented Disney ECV that they may or may not even need, etc...
On the GAC front, it comes with medical privacy laws. It's easier to give it to everyone than deal with various laws from various countries on medical information.

Longhairbear

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge this weekend, although spending our theme park days at Universal which, by the way, is looking awesome. Lots of ongoing expansion, apparent high quality (haven't noticed any broken effects so far with excellent maintence in guest areas), and friendly CMs.

We were at WDW last Thanksgiving and received separate KTTW cards for that stay. Although those KTTW cards used RFID technology for the room doors, there was no mention of it on the cards. The new cards have the following added to the back:

"This card interacts with radio frequency technology. For information, visit disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/"

I wonder if this change was made after the official MyMagic+ announcement in January. Perhaps there were numerous questions about it because of the news coverage it received.

Separately, I noticed the car gate at AKL start to rise on 2 different occasions while I was approximately 40-to-80 feet away. The guard might have done this from his office but I intentionally removed my car check-in placard from my windshield the second time to see if it might be related to the new media. Maybe the guard opened the gate for me anyway. I'll try to talk with the guard tomorrow if I have time. (WWOHP is calling.:))

Between the additional information on the back of the KTTW card and the behavior at the gate, I wonder if the new KTTW cards have been upgraded to use Ultra High Frequency (UHF) passive tags, which have farther read ranges. (HF passive tags typically have a range of less than 3 feet.)

I really don't know what to make of the change, just mentioning 2 observations that might be completely coincidental and could turn out to mean nothing.
Until you mentioned the guard, and gates I hadn't thought to wonder if the guards are seeing more guests using their cars for either the Disney parks, Uni etc. Also if they are having more taxis move through. Would that be an indication of how many resort guests are going off property?

Figments Friend

Until you mentioned the guard, and gates I hadn't thought to wonder if the guards are seeing more guests using their cars for either the Disney parks, Uni etc. Also if they are having more taxis move through. Would that be an indication of how many resort guests are going off property?
-
Something interesting i noticed the last time i was in town and stayed at a Resort....ASMusic in this case...in late January.
Contained within the 'welcome' booklet one receives when you check in was a medium sized card listing various places of interest OFF Property, such as other local attractions, Publix, Off-Prop resturants..and even Walmart ! This was a official Disney sanctioned printing, with appropriate graphics that was similar to the other information media found in the packet.
I found this quite surprising and it was as if Disney was helping Guests to drive Off Site, as the card was primarily driving instructions.

I have to admit i found it rather eye opening. Never expected to see that being freely offered to everyone checking in, exspecially from Disney considering their mentality is to try to keep Guests ON Property. This added card of info almost encourages you to drive off elsewhere!

If there is interest, i can post images of the card here. Give a shout if you want to see...

Regarding taxi/transport traffic from Disney Property to 'other points'....yes, there is a steady and heavy flow daily of people being shuttled Off Property to Universal and Sea World. I spent a early morning sitting outside the front entrance doors of my Resort for about an hour and saw easily 20+ people leave in taxis for days trips elsewhere. One couple from France sat next to me as they waited for their taxi and asked if i was going to Universal too !
:confused:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Baxters taking Q&A at PFF right now-hinted at Oz coming to DL

Probably did so to tick off Bruce Vaughn who didn't appreciate it when Tony gave Iger a show and tell down in Anaheim last year on what could be done with Oz, where and how.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, when you have all of these ridiculous and hard to prove things such as GAC cards (no one is ever questioned! and if you talk to most Cast in Guest Realtions, this is the #1 most annoying part of their day), fake GAC cards, fake Make-A-Wish buttons and t-shirts, whether or not you cut into the Fastpass line, whether or not you really need to use the alternate entrance, whether or not you really lost your Fastpass, whether or not the spill on your shirt is legitimate and not a scam to get a free shirt with a no strings or that "world-class" Guest service, children riding on the laps of parents on a rented Disney ECV that they may or may not even need, etc...

It's no wonder Cast Members are mean and could care less about you. There are so many ways to scam the system that it's almost impossible to ever tell who is truthful or who is trying to pull one over on you. The amount of degenerate and opposite of classy families that come to WDW now is disgusting.

Think about that "world-class" Guest Service the next time you encounter the Cast Member that was just grabbed by a Guest because they didn't want to wait in the line like everyone else.Think of the care and trust a Cast Member will have as that group of 20 cheerleaders pass you by at a Merge point because ONE of them has a bad ankle.

I do get it.

I just don't like it.

I blame CMs to some degree because, ultimately, you deal with a bad job based on your ethics and personality. But, mostly, I blame management who cares less for CMs than it does for guests (and it doesn't think much of them either, just their money!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
It sounds like Disney is trying to avoid lawsuits by allowing theft. Instead of arresting a guest (and "accusing" them, even though said guest may have items stuffed in shirt/backpack whatever) and potentially causing a scene, ruining a families expensive vacation, not to mention the accused shoplifter... yeah, I can see how it would, from a legal standpoint at least, be easier to stand back and turn the blind eye rather than pursuing.

Not to mention that, perhaps the cast member who saw the theft and tries to stop it, happens to have had a real crap day and get snappy with the accused theif, things escalate, then it looks like Disney is the bad guy for hiring someone who (gasp!) had a bad day.

I understand, but I don't care either.

My take is if this is how it's going to be, and since the costs are passed on to us all, then maybe we should organize a fan community theft day (we'll keep it small, one item per person under $50 each) to protest Disney allowing theivery to go on because ... well, it's just easier.

WDW1974

Original Poster
On the GAC front, it comes with medical privacy laws. It's easier to give it to everyone than deal with various laws from various countries on medical information.

Except if you do so, then the folks who need it get screwed and everyone else does as well. Not so simple at all.

It began being a huge problem in Anaheim around Y2K ... and WDW followed about 2-3 years later.

Goofyernmost

I wonder what would happen if Disney/UNI/SW got together to create a GAC with teeth and cracked down on ECVs and possibly strollers...
That would be easy to predict. The Government, under the heading of ADA laws, would be all over them like stink on, well you know. Laws are the savior and culprit in this situations.

Some high level, tie wearing geek decided that people with handicaps would be "embarrassed" to have to prove, via documentation, that they have a legitimate need. They somehow felt that it would be less embarrassing to be constantly looked at and evaluated as to the reality of their condition because there was no allowance for reasonable verification. I would doubt that any of the people that wrote the laws were ever in a position of having a disability and therefore thought (or didn't think, in this case) with their heart and not their brain. Good intentions, lousy results coupled with stubborn stances to never admit they were wrong, equals a continued abusing of a law that was meant to help, but really didn't.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That would be easy to predict. The Government, under the heading of ADA laws, would be all over them like stink on, well you know. Laws are the savior and culprit in this situations.

Not to take this thread on a tangent.. but you can address the problem and still stay within the laws. You don't need to require documentation (you can't) - but what you can do is take away the temptation to abuse the system. If Disney actually focused on addressing a customer's individual need instead of taking the blanket 'front of the line' type system.. then there would be less abuse.

But that would require Disney actually investing in the system.. and facing customers down. Two things it doesn't like to do.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's a lot easier to band-aid the wound than it is to actually fix it. I think that has a lot to do with what's going on with GAC abuse.

Why fix the problem (long lines- people with IBS/back problems/pregnant/crohns disease/etc can't stand for hours on end) when you can band aid it by giving the person a 'front of the line' pass?

Not saying it's RIGHT. But Disney is a business. They're in it for money. Not comfort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom