Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Belowthesurface

It's a lot easier to band-aid the wound than it is to actually fix it. I think that has a lot to do with what's going on with GAC abuse.

Why fix the problem (long lines- people with IBS/back problems/pregnant/crohns disease/etc can't stand for hours on end) when you can band aid it by giving the person a 'front of the line' pass?

Not saying it's RIGHT. But Disney is a business. They're in it for money. Not comfort.

Especially not the comfort of those honest enough to not lie about GACs or not for the comfort of those people who wait longer because of GAC cards.

I find it interesting that GAC cards play no part in the equation of the Fastpass line.

They are considered "ghostriders."

Figments Friend

They had very little choice. He was lead creative on the project. He sorta had to be there.

True, he was the lead...and he indeed should be there by all means.
With all the recent talk of bad blood between certain parties the impression i was getting was that he might not be able, or be *allowed* to participate. I am glad that was not the case.

A delight to see Tony there that day.

Genie of the Lamp

I saw this on the internet and figure I'd put it in here. You'll like this one @Figments Friend in case you haven't heard of it.:) It seems that Josh Hall has written a book called Mr.Baxter's Wild Ride highlighting the 47.5 years Tony has worked with WDI,etc. I would post the site and link, but it won't show up (only in astericks). Speaking of Tony, has their been any videos out their showcasing the Fantasy Faire Imagineer panel presentation that happend a few days ago? I'd like to watch it.​

Figments Friend

Hey there Genie....thanks for the info. I am not aware of this book. Nice to know this is floating out there.
Is this something that was released recently, or some time ago?

I am patient...and will wait until Tony gets around to writing his own story.
The stories that man can tell.....he could have a three volume series !

Regarding video of the recent DL Fantasy Faire Q&A, I have yet to have seen any. I am sure at least one exsists...out there in the internet ethers...somewhere.

Genie of the Lamp

Hey there Genie....thanks for the info. I am not aware of this book. Nice to know this is floating out there.
Is this something that was released recently, or some time ago?

I am patient...and will wait until Tony gets around to writing his own story.
The stories that man can tell.....he could have a three volume series !

Regarding video of the recent DL Fantasy Faire Q&A, I have yet to have seen any. I am sure at least one exsists...out there in the internet ethers...somewhere.

Well, that online article was put up 2 days ago, so I'd imagine it was just finished recently since they're promoting it. Of course now that I looked into it more, it's actually a magazine article from a site that starts with a "W" and ends with a "T". But it's up to you if you want to look into it. Sorry to get your hopes up on this being a book.

Figments Friend

Heh heh...i had to smirk when i read this comment in the article above about the forthcoming DTD makeover :
"We want to be able to create these great locations where people have an opportunity to relax and get away from the harried hustle and bustle that sometimes people experience on their vacations."

Harried hustle and bustile...that comes with being on vacation??
Welcome to modern touring...!
Remember when a visit to WDW was indeed relaxing and not hectic...before FP, Dining Plans, and commando touring mentality entered the picture?
The scene is so different now when compared to the past.​

the.dreamfinder

Captain Neo

IF an Oz attraction/land does get greenlit would Tony Baxter be invited back to Imagineering to oversee the project since he supposedly has done design work and outlined some plans for Iger? Or will Fitzgerald control it and turn it into yet another unremarkable attraction that relies almost entirely on video screens?

HMF

IF an Oz attraction/land does get greenlit would Tony Baxter be invited back to Imagineering to oversee the project since he supposedly has done design work and outlined some plans for Iger? Or will Fitzgerald control it and turn it into yet another unremarkable attraction that relies almost entirely on video screens?
Fitzgerald now has complete control over the DL Portfolio. Tony being invited back to WDI will not happen at least not as long as Bruce Vaughn is still the leader.

Longhairbear

I was not sure which thread to post this in, but Knott's Berry Farm in CA is also spending lots of money restoring it's log flume ride at 5 million. They are also adding several new rides. Other parts of that park are also closed for maintenance, and refurbs.

lazyboy97o

Here's a link to a story on FOX News by O-Town blogger Ricky Brigante (the guy who claims he doesn't like to cover negative Disney stories ). As an aside, I don't think his blogging had anything to do with landing the FOX gig. The dude attended one of the most exclusive prep schools in Florida and likely made some connections:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/03/18/walt-disney-world-makes-way-for-makeover/
Color me surprised that Disney has admitted to emulating Chelsea Market.
Ricky Brigante said:
Disney's executive creative director Theron Skees likened the project to New York's Chelsea Market, formerly home to Nabisco bakeries, ultimately transformed into a sprawling venue for retail and restaurants.

COProgressFan

Color me surprised that Disney has admitted to emulating Chelsea Market.

I would imagine Brigante has never visited Chelsea market, and if I had to conjure a guess, the "disney executive creative director" may not have either.

Disney Springs, in any form, is nothing like Chelsea market in NYC, aside from the fact that they are putting in the faux-elevated train tracks.

COProgressFan

Heh heh...i had to smirk when i read this comment in the article above about the forthcoming DTD makeover :
"We want to be able to create these great locations where people have an opportunity to relax and get away from the harried hustle and bustle that sometimes people experience on their vacations."

Harried hustle and bustile...that comes with being on vacation??
Welcome to modern touring...!

Remember when a visit to WDW was indeed relaxing and not hectic...before FP, Dining Plans, and commando touring mentality entered the picture?
The scene is so different now when compared to the past.

Just...wow. If there is a problem with hustle and bustle while people are on vacation at WDW, then Disney needs to seriously consider resolving that issue, not claim that somehow Disney Springs will make it better.

If there is too much hustle and bustle, I have many other suggestions on how to slow things down: bring back trees and benches in parks (Phil Holmes does NOT want you to sit down!), bring back small scale entertainment property wide, maintain and update the smaller attractions, keep parks open later when warranted, and structure policies and pricing (reservations, dining plan, ticket prices, MM+, etc.) so that they don't explicitly encourage the park commando mentality. Let's not pretend that Disney didn't help create this type-A, hyper-planning, park touring monster.

It's hard to know sometimes if they are that out of touch, or just don't care if what they say makes no sense.

lazyboy97o

I would imagine Brigante has never visited Chelsea market, and if I had to conjure a guess, the the "disney executive creative director" may not have either.

Disney Springs, in any form, is nothing like Chelsea market in NYC, aside from the fact that they are putting in the faux-elevated train tracks.
Brigante has audio of Skees talking a bit more elaborately. The connection is in the story of Disney Springs, which is supposed to be a reuse of the buildings of an Old Florida town.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Those involved in retail might know or have a relative answer to this question

What would the analysis look like to try and figure out
The cost of staffing a security person in every single shop/cart in the parks for all operating hours of the year
Vs.
The total actual dollars lost via shoplifting in a year

I don't have a clue at ballparking either number, so I was curious.

Stores such as Best Buy, Dick's, Gander Mtn, Staples, and the like of a moderate size easily have an annual theft of at least $125,000. Larger stores crack $250,000 easily in loss. Stores such as those that WDW maintains have a much much higher traffic rate any given day of the year. It would be easy for each larger store to blow those annual numbers out of the water. That is those numbers at EACH larger store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom