Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

asianway

It's policy - not the CMs.

Its a combination of Disney putting the guests over CMs.. not trusting the CMs with anything that might go counter to what a guest says.. and apathey towards the cost vs gain.

Disney doesn't let CMs actually interfere or stop a guest at all.. shoplifting or anything. Besides actual security folks.. merchandise CMs aren't going to do anything to stop or confine a guest.
Same goes for IP theft.

Rodan75

It's policy - not the CMs.

Its a combination of Disney putting the guests over CMs.. not trusting the CMs with anything that might go counter to what a guest says.. and apathey towards the cost vs gain.

Disney doesn't let CMs actually interfere or stop a guest at all.. shoplifting or anything. Besides actual security folks.. merchandise CMs aren't going to do anything to stop or confine a guest.

Of all the things discussed in this thread, this is the one I'm most shocked by. I had always assumed there were 'courtesy enforcement' folks who would quietly and quickly remove shoplifters. I totally understand why they don't really prosecute shoplifters and let folks get away with some of it, but dang. If it lowers the prices for everyone then do something about it.

Goofyernmost

Of all the things discussed in this thread, this is the one I'm most shocked by. I had always assumed there were 'courtesy enforcement' folks who would quietly and quickly remove shoplifters. I totally understand why they don't really prosecute shoplifters and let folks get away with some of it, but dang. If it lowers the prices for everyone then do something about it.
Well, it does give a convenient excuse for not lowering prices and continuously raising them, to be able to say. "What can we do? Guests are robbing us blind. We have to raise prices to stay even."

MarkTwain

This is standard retail practice. A couple of places taught us to be passive aggressive if we thought someone was trying to steal something. "Oh would you like to try on those jeans?" "Here, come look at these khakis that would go perfectly with that shirt." You can do nothing else. The best way to prevent theft is to customer service the heck out of them.

This is how I was trained at a major clothes retailer as well.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Those involved in retail might know or have a relative answer to this question

What would the analysis look like to try and figure out
The cost of staffing a security person in every single shop/cart in the parks for all operating hours of the year
Vs.
The total actual dollars lost via shoplifting in a year

I don't have a clue at ballparking either number, so I was curious.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope he still goes on a frequent basis. The Fanbase respects him and now that he is no longer required to pretend to like everything the Company does so he can now tell it like it is.

Tony never pretended that he liked everything the company did/does ... that was part of his 'problem' from a corporate view or integrity from a fan's PoV.

WDW1974

Original Poster
FWIW, when I worked at Main St. Merch a few years ago, I was told by a few managers that the "Night of Joy" events were some of the worst times for shoplifting...we had racks of shirts, etc. set up outside and were told to watch everyone like a hawk...however they didnt' tell us what to do if we actually witnessed it, lol.

I think its funny that the big religious events are where people shoplift more frequently.

I've heard that as well. That NoJ was also the worst event for vandalizing and for kids engaging in sexual acts etc...

WDW1974

Original Poster
In general, shoplifting involves such a small amount of money that neither the police nor prosecutors really want to waste time prosecuting it, and on a per person basis businesses generally don't think it's worth pursuing either. People taking a $40 t-shirt are really only costing the business a few dollars, so it's easier for them to write it off. And they make up for those losses by charging everyone more.

I may understand the backwards societal logic in the above, but it doesn't change my basic sense of what's right and wrong.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is that unofficial or official management policy or just apathy on the part of the CMs? I'm not saying that it's the CM's fault but if there's no incentive to reduce or stop theft then why bother?

To me this represents a huge ding against the notion that WDW's security is all knowing and all powerful. If you see people obviously stealing things with no recourse then how could you possibly think that security is really protecting you and your family?

I have been told by numerous folks that it is 'official' policy, just not in writing or anything because can you imagine a publically traded corporation saying to the world 'yes, we allow shoplifting because we don't want ugly incidents in our MAGICal parks involving police and handcuffs and potential violence and/or obscenity, so we just look the other way.''

The Emporium is a giant homage to both crappy merchandise and people who steal it.

baymenxpac

I know this sounds nuts but my fiancee is in management for a major retailer that targets the sportsman/outdoors type person and their policy when it comes to theft whether it be shoplifting or illegitimate returns is to look the other way and make a note for inventory. She often gets calls about this from store level personnel. It is the corporate view that laws/punishment are so liberal that they are not enough to deter future problems and the cost of pursuing individual cases is too much so they just allow for these losses in the markup of the retail prices.

it doesn't sound nuts at all. my buddy works at a sporting goods store and it's very common for people to buy POS china knockoff jerseys for $50 on ebay and go "return" them to a chain sporting good store for the real deal that costs anywhere from $200-$250. he once brought this to his manager's attention and was told, "whatever. as long as the inventory numbers line up."

fosse76

I may understand the backwards societal logic in the above, but it doesn't change my basic sense of what's right and wrong.
No doubt about that. But also, Disney is all about exploiting its customer service image, and confronting shoplifters can cause a large scene. Disney is too complacent when it comes to its guests.

Sneezy62

Shoplifters have retailers between a rock and a hard place. It's difficult to catch without inviting assault charges or lawsuits. It's nearly impossible to prosecute unless it involves big bucks and/or conspiracy amongst the offenders. Prevention is labor intensive and requires the employees to give a damn. Police, prosecutors and the courts loathe dealing with it. Shoplifters are often loudmouths and try to create as much noise as possible when confronted. Cheapest solution is just account for it and write it off/pass it on.

Sneezy62

If they wanted to, thanks to the new magic bands, they could silently tag offenders as shoplifting and require them to be read as they exit the park. At that point security could come in and pull them aside.
That's actually a real potential benefit of the magicband as it solves a couple of the points I made above. It's very important to show intent by letting the offender get all the way out of the store (park I suppose) before confronting them. It could also help prevent the ensuing scene and allow actual security folks time to act without the perpetrator getting lost in the crowd. Let's hope Disney has thought of this.

Goofyernmost

I keep hearing the customer service angle being used. Question: what about those of us the find that others stealing from the stores and Disney allowing it a mockery of honesty and trust? Do they really care if people that steal from them might not return again? Why would they want them to return again? Then the rest of us leaving feeling like we must be jerks for being honest. Are they so totally unaware of how the "rest of us feel" that they think we would be upset if someone was apprehended for stealing? I certainly couldn't speak for others, but for me, I would feel a lot better if they made moves to uphold what is right and worried a lot less about what a common thief's opinion might be. Don't the rest of us deserve a little customer service love as well?

Thinking that it is the the right thing to allow that to happen without even trying to stop it, makes me think that we are so screwed for the future.

HMF

Tony never pretended that he liked everything the company did/does ... that was part of his 'problem' from a corporate view or integrity from a fan's PoV.
According to many people, He would give vauge hints that he didn't like something but he would never flat-out say it. Frankly, I am still hoping for that tell-all memoir he may or may not write.

Figments Friend

I hope he still goes on a frequent basis. The Fanbase respects him and now that he is no longer required to pretend to like everything the Company does so he can now tell it like it is.

I am sure he will be visiting every so often. It was wonderful to see the recent photo of him in the Park and get some confirmation of his presence. I was hoping he would be there to check out FF. DL is a real part of him...has been for just about all of his life.

I cannot see Disney trying to keep him away. No matter what his employer may say, there will always be a part of him being pulled back to return to that space and savor it. He is just as deeply 'obsessed' with the Parks as many fans here are...perhaps even more so in some respects.

There is no way anyone or anything could come between Tony and Disneyland.
As it should be...!

:)

Figments Friend

FWIW, when I worked at Main St. Merch a few years ago, I was told by a few managers that the "Night of Joy" events were some of the worst times for shoplifting...we had racks of shirts, etc. set up outside and were told to watch everyone like a hawk...however they didnt' tell us what to do if we actually witnessed it, lol.

I think its funny that the big religious events are where people shoplift more frequently.
-
Yes, this is indeed TRUE.
And like you said, who would have ever expected that those 'good little angels' in attendance would be behaving like naughty little devils.

tracyandalex

This is standard retail practice. A couple of places taught us to be passive aggressive if we thought someone was trying to steal something. "Oh would you like to try on those jeans?" "Here, come look at these khakis that would go perfectly with that shirt." You can do nothing else. The best way to prevent theft is to customer service the heck out of them.

That's essentially what we were told at Macy's. security generally only bothered folks that we're stealing high dollar amounts, repeat offenders, and repeat returners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom