Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Figments Friend

I could sit for hours and listen to Tony Baxter talk...even about the most trivial things.
He has a very interesting, and insightful way of viewing the world around him.

Here is a photo of Tony playing with his 'toys'.....
1d1f615e-0c31-4f5e-a411-500cc3ade9d0_zps2aca6d5c.jpg

Oh the days when he was 'allowed' to go crazy and create something spectacular in a Disney Theme Park...
( gets all nostalgic )

WDW1974

Original Poster
No doubt about that. But also, Disney is all about exploiting its customer service image, and confronting shoplifters can cause a large scene. Disney is too complacent when it comes to its guests.

Of course it is.

I think I've mentioned here how I had to spend 90 minutes and four CMs to get an $11.50 refund on an AP I was overcharged for, while some woman came up to the window next to me crying about lost tickets (and with no proof of anything) and was given somewhere around $500 worth of ticket media. I have no idea whether she was telling the truth, and the problem is neither did Disney.

I am SOOOOOO very tired of watching scammers get whatever they want, and a loyal whale of a customer such as myself generally is treated with something just this side of contempt (and, no, they have no clue they're giving service to the Evil Vile Commie Disney Hating Spirit).

You do NOT allow people to steal from you or deface your attractions or resort rooms and villas. You do NOT let people abuse your front-line CMs. And you realize that there are worse things than having some obnoxious low-lifes yelling out George Carlin's Seven Words in City Hall ... as long as you indulge this crap, it will continue. And whenever someone has a legit issue and tries to get guest recovery, they're going to get treated like pooh.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I keep hearing the customer service angle being used. Question: what about those of us the find that others stealing from the stores and Disney allowing it a mockery of honesty and trust? Do they really care if people that steal from them might not return again? Why would they want them to return again? Then the rest of us leaving feeling like we must be jerks for being honest. Are they so totally unaware of how the "rest of us feel" that they think we would be upset if someone was apprehended for stealing? I certainly couldn't speak for others, but for me, I would feel a lot better if they made moves to uphold what is right and worried a lot less about what a common thief's opinion might be. Don't the rest of us deserve a little customer service love as well?

Thinking that it is the the right thing to allow that to happen without even trying to stop it, makes me think that we are so screwed for the future.

I don't say this often -- about YOU!!! -- but very well said. Couldn't agree more.

lazyboy97o

I keep hearing the customer service angle being used. Question: what about those of us the find that others stealing from the stores and Disney allowing it a mockery of honesty and trust? Do they really care if people that steal from them might not return again? Why would they want them to return again? Then the rest of us leaving feeling like we must be jerks for being honest. Are they so totally unaware of how the "rest of us feel" that they think we would be upset if someone was apprehended for stealing? I certainly couldn't speak for others, but for me, I would feel a lot better if they made moves to uphold what is right and worried a lot less about what a common thief's opinion might be. Don't the rest of us deserve a little customer service love as well?

Thinking that it is the the right thing to allow that to happen without even trying to stop it, makes me think that we are so screwed for the future.
Media. Get the right person being wrongfully accused by a slightly over zealous Cast Member and that's a recipe for a public relations issue Disney would rather avoid.

Goofyernmost

Media. Get the right person being wrongfully accused by a slightly over zealous Cast Member and that's a recipe for a public relations issue Disney would rather avoid.
Then train their staff to know when to go after someone. Make them realize that it is vital to have actually seen it happen and follow through, not just let everyone go simply because they might be wrong if they falsely accuse. If they see it happen they won't be wrong. That's the problem with public relations. They are bent on pleasing the wrong people all the time. I would think that public relations would be better served if the public knows that dishonesty is not allowed, instead of encouraged.

dhall

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then train their staff to know when to go after someone. Make them realize that it is vital to have actually seen it happen and follow through, not just let everyone go simply because they might be wrong if the falsely accuse. If they see it happen they won't be wrong. That's the problem with public relations. They are bent on pleasing the wrong people all the time. I would think that public relations would be better served if the public knows that dishonesty is not allowed, instead of encouraged.

Yeah, it's tough to rely on some college kid making $8 an hour to act as a police officer, but its still frustrating to know its going on. It is sad to say, but that is the way of society these days. Unless the loss is big enough most companies just write it off. I had my credit card number stolen and the thieves charged a bunch of stuff at a hotel and gas station in the Dominican Republic. I was ready to hop a flight and track the scum down just on principle. The CC Company basically just took the charges off my account and said they don't even turn it over to police unless its over a certain materiality level.

dupac

Are you aware when someone else is stealing something as you are shopping?

My last part-time job (full-time student atm) was at a well-known outdoor outfitter based out of Seattle. We were taught the best way to stop theft is to catch it before it even happens. When you acknowledge that someone is in the store, make contact, etc, they are less likely to commit the theft in the first place. Now, we won't let people run away with the store. There is a line, but it doesn't involve confronting people on the floor. More like at the cash register.

Goofyernmost

Are you aware when someone else is stealing something as you are shopping?

My last part-time job (full-time student atm) was at a well-known outdoor outfitter based out of Seattle. We were taught the best way to stop theft is to catch it before it even happens. When you acknowledge that someone is in the store, make contact, etc, they are less likely to commit the theft in the first place. Now, we won't let people run away with the store. There is a line, but it doesn't involve confronting people on the floor. More like at the cash register.
I wasn't talking about on the floor either. In fact, if you confront them before they clear the doors all they have to do is say that they were going to the register to pay for it, even if you saw them stuff it in their shirt. They have to actually leave the building to get them at all. You observe them and either get security to meet them at the exit or confront them yourself. (the last is not a good idea, btw) but you don't let them just go. It is wrong and costs everyone. I'd rather pay higher prices because of the additional expense of catching someone then because it was stolen and no one cared.

dupac

I wasn't talking about on the floor either. In fact, if you confront them before they clear the doors all they have to do is say that they were going to the register to pay for it, even if you saw them stuff it in their shirt. They have to actually leave the building to get them at all. You observe them and either get security to meet them at the exit or confront them yourself. (the last is not a good idea, btw) but you don't let them just go. It is wrong and costs everyone. I'd rather pay higher prices because of the additional expense of catching someone then because it was stolen and no one cared.

I understand. Unfortunately, in a large, busy mall it's just not practical.

Belowthesurface

Of course it is.

I think I've mentioned here how I had to spend 90 minutes and four CMs to get an $11.50 refund on an AP I was overcharged for, while some woman came up to the window next to me crying about lost tickets (and with no proof of anything) and was given somewhere around $500 worth of ticket media. I have no idea whether she was telling the truth, and the problem is neither did Disney.

I am SOOOOOO very tired of watching scammers get whatever they want, and a loyal whale of a customer such as myself generally is treated with something just this side of contempt (and, no, they have no clue they're giving service to the Evil Vile Commie Disney Hating Spirit).

You do NOT allow people to steal from you or deface your attractions or resort rooms and villas. You do NOT let people abuse your front-line CMs. And you realize that there are worse things than having some obnoxious low-lifes yelling out George Carlin's Seven Words in City Hall ... as long as you indulge this crap, it will continue. And whenever someone has a legit issue and tries to get guest recovery, they're going to get treated like pooh.

Well, when you have all of these ridiculous and hard to prove things such as GAC cards (no one is ever questioned! and if you talk to most Cast in Guest Realtions, this is the #1 most annoying part of their day), fake GAC cards, fake Make-A-Wish buttons and t-shirts, whether or not you cut into the Fastpass line, whether or not you really need to use the alternate entrance, whether or not you really lost your Fastpass, whether or not the spill on your shirt is legitimate and not a scam to get a free shirt with a no strings or that "world-class" Guest service, children riding on the laps of parents on a rented Disney ECV that they may or may not even need, etc...

It's no wonder Cast Members are mean and could care less about you. There are so many ways to scam the system that it's almost impossible to ever tell who is truthful or who is trying to pull one over on you. The amount of degenerate and opposite of classy families that come to WDW now is disgusting.

Think about that "world-class" Guest Service the next time you encounter the Cast Member that was just grabbed by a Guest because they didn't want to wait in the line like everyone else.Think of the care and trust a Cast Member will have as that group of 20 cheerleaders pass you by at a Merge point because ONE of them has a bad ankle.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It sounds like Disney is trying to avoid lawsuits by allowing theft. Instead of arresting a guest (and "accusing" them, even though said guest may have items stuffed in shirt/backpack whatever) and potentially causing a scene, ruining a families expensive vacation, not to mention the accused shoplifter... yeah, I can see how it would, from a legal standpoint at least, be easier to stand back and turn the blind eye rather than pursuing.

Not to mention that, perhaps the cast member who saw the theft and tries to stop it, happens to have had a real crap day and get snappy with the accused theif, things escalate, then it looks like Disney is the bad guy for hiring someone who (gasp!) had a bad day.

fosse76

Then train their staff to know when to go after someone. Make them realize that it is vital to have actually seen it happen and follow through, not just let everyone go simply because they might be wrong if the falsely accuse. If they see it happen they won't be wrong. That's the problem with public relations. They are bent on pleasing the wrong people all the time. I would think that public relations would be better served if the public knows that dishonesty is not allowed, instead of encouraged.
That's actually the law in many states...that the theft must actually be witnessed. The problem is that is not usually applied by retailers...if they only think they saw someone steal they often pursue the theft. Also, there are limits to what employees/security guards can do. They are not the police, and have no authority whatsoever (of course, that also depends on the state, some may give security guards a little more power). For them to detain someone for stealing, they are required to call the police, otherwise they are illegally restraining someone. So there are other reasons than PR, but I think Disney's reasoning is mostly PR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom