Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

GSP Guy

That is why so much merch walks away out the doors, instead of Disney security kicking their off to a nice orange county jail...or so I'm told.

You would think they would ya know "Man Up"...especially when they have evidence to prove it!
I know this sounds nuts but my fiancee is in management for a major retailer that targets the sportsman/outdoors type person and their policy when it comes to theft whether it be shoplifting or illegitimate returns is to look the other way and make a note for inventory. She often gets calls about this from store level personnel. It is the corporate view that laws/punishment are so liberal that they are not enough to deter future problems and the cost of pursuing individual cases is too much so they just allow for these losses in the markup of the retail prices.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Think about it.. how many people do you think sat there idly by why someone defaced that poster? Sad sad world...

How many people stand by while someone is being abused verbally or physically in person? How many people see an adult parent beat a child (no, not a little spank) and refuse to get involved?

How many people get into accidents and drive off?

I can go on and on ... I don't think highly of the human species as a whole. Thankfully, I do like quite a few individuals.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why would they be worried? Do they think he's gonna start sermonizing against the company like an evangelical on a street corner? Take a matchstick and burn his life long love to the ground? Was there some sort of expectation that he couldn't step foot into Disneyland again?

No, of course not.

It just wasn't an amicable parting and it wasn't an amicable employment situation since the 20th century.

I'm pretty sure Disney would prefer it if Tony stayed the hell away from DL, but they'll never say that because you know what would happen in today's social networking/social media world.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know this sounds nuts but my fiancee is in management for a major retailer that targets the sportsman/outdoors type person and their policy when it comes to theft whether it be shoplifting or illegitimate returns is to look the other way and make a note for inventory. She often gets calls about this from store level personnel. It is the corporate view that laws/punishment are so liberal that they are not enough to deter future problems and the cost of pursuing individual cases is too much so they just allow for these losses in the markup of the retail prices.

WDW has a policy of basically allowing shoplifting. Take what you want. They won't do a damn thing. You don't know how this angers me.

A friend once witnessed someone shoving clothes under their shirt at Mickey's Mart (is that the name of the shop in T-Land?) and immediately told CMs. They just looked over, looked at each other and shrugged. He was incredulous and said in a loud voice ''you're just going to let them (blanking) steal all that clothing?!?!'' ... He said he got looks from people that could kill (him) and the couple who were stealing just nonchalantly walked out into the night air.

I find this amazing because so many morons on fan sites love to get their dander up (whatever that means) about folks bringing back refillable mugs, but if they just stood in one of Disney's big shops and watched for 10-15 minutes, they'd see how much product walks out without being paid for.

HMF

I'm pretty sure Disney would prefer it if Tony stayed the hell away from DL, but they'll never say that because you know what would happen in today's social networking/social media world.
I hope he still goes on a frequent basis. The Fanbase respects him and now that he is no longer required to pretend to like everything the Company does so he can now tell it like it is.

articos

Glass wouldn't do anything. I've seen the same crap on the second floor Starcade windows at DL (the ones SM's queue runs past). The only thing that would prevent this kind of stuff is putting the picture out of reach.
It should have been put out of reach - the interactive queue teams are not the most experienced at this, and that's a mistake they should not have made. All the more egregious because of this specific print.

articos

Yeah, that is my thinking. I think the defacing has alerted them that this is not a good location for something like this.

When the photos were first posted of the Barnibus painting finally installed in the queue i was surprised it was in the position it was in. I was assuming it would be in a more *presentation* type of setting...above a mantle, or the maybe within the *mining office*. When i saw it was just on the wall , it seemed like it was just beckoning for trouble.
They run the place. They can place it anywhere they want it to go. It really is just Theme Park 101 in the USA or Europe (Asians respect property) that you do NOT place things that can be damaged where guests can get to them.

It is astounding to me how ignorant the individual(s) was/were who placed this where they did.
I'm normally more politically correct than this, but...the person who installed it there is an idiot.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
WDW has a policy of basically allowing shoplifting. Take what you want. They won't do a damn thing. You don't know how this angers me.

A friend once witnessed someone shoving clothes under their shirt at Mickey's Mart (is that the name of the shop in T-Land?) and immediately told CMs. They just looked over, looked at each other and shrugged. He was incredulous and said in a loud voice ''you're just going to let them (blanking) steal all that clothing?!?!'' ... He said he got looks from people that could kill (him) and the couple who were stealing just nonchalantly walked out into the night air.

I find this amazing because so many morons on fan sites love to get their dander up (whatever that means) about folks bringing back refillable mugs, but if they just stood in one of Disney's big shops and watched for 10-15 minutes, they'd see how much product walks out without being paid for.

FWIW, when I worked at Main St. Merch a few years ago, I was told by a few managers that the "Night of Joy" events were some of the worst times for shoplifting...we had racks of shirts, etc. set up outside and were told to watch everyone like a hawk...however they didnt' tell us what to do if we actually witnessed it, lol.

I think its funny that the big religious events are where people shoplift more frequently.

John

Then they wonder why a hoodie cost $80.00

SirLink

Funny how a slight policy change could basically rectify this whole problem

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

I had no idea they were that lenient. A couple years ago I saw a plainclothes security guy with an ear piece (I've been to enough Phish concerts to know what undercovers look like...) following someone past the Main Street Bakery toward the train station. He was walking so fast that he almost walked right into me. As we almost collided, he was speaking into his hidden mic and giving the clothing description, like he was talking into his shirt. I changed directions in an attempt to follow him to see what was going on, but I lost him in the crowd and just started heading back toward my original destination. When it happened I just assumed he was following a shoplifter, but after reading this thread about how they let it go I'm guessing it was for something else. It's just crazy that they appear to have the ability to take action but just choose not to.

I think its funny that the big religious events are where people shoplift more frequently.

I know a guy that works security at a music venue in the city as a second gig. When I asked him who the worst crowds to deal with were he said without a doubt the christian rock fans. I found that pretty surprising and interesting at the same time. He said the easiest crowds to deal with were the heavy metal shows, which I also found interesting.

Sorry for the thread drift...Anyway, I would love to know how much money they loose a year to "shrinkage" just at WDW.

fosse76

In general, shoplifting involves such a small amount of money that neither the police nor prosecutors really want to waste time prosecuting it, and on a per person basis businesses generally don't think it's worth pursuing either. People taking a $40 t-shirt are really only costing the business a few dollars, so it's easier for them to write it off. And they make up for those losses by charging everyone more.

Goofyernmost

I know a guy that works security at a music venue in the city as a second gig. When I asked him who the worst crowds to deal with were he said without a doubt the christian rock fans. I found that pretty surprising and interesting at the same time. He said the easiest crowds to deal with were the heavy metal shows, which I also found interesting.

I suspect that they found a way to be much more mellow then the other group.

71jason

FWIW, when I worked at Main St. Merch a few years ago, I was told by a few managers that the "Night of Joy" events were some of the worst times for shoplifting...we had racks of shirts, etc. set up outside and were told to watch everyone like a hawk...however they didnt' tell us what to do if we actually witnessed it, lol.

I know quite a few CMs who tell me they would rather work any shift--Christmas Day, NYE--over Night of Joy. There are apparently not nearly enough adult chaperones and the kids are basically one step up from animals.

Own personal anecdote: Been a Universal AP for 12 years, parked in the garage hundreds of times, if not thousands--the only time my car has been vandalized was while I was watching a movie during Rock the Universe. Have not been back that weekend for anything.

Animaniac93-98

This isn't the first time I heard of this and I've also read that because of the issues during the event Disney would like to end it, but they don't want the PR backlash. Is that true?

Pentacat

Is that unofficial or official management policy or just apathy on the part of the CMs? I'm not saying that it's the CM's fault but if there's no incentive to reduce or stop theft then why bother?

To me this represents a huge ding against the notion that WDW's security is all knowing and all powerful. If you see people obviously stealing things with no recourse then how could you possibly think that security is really protecting you and your family?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is that unofficial or official management policy or just apathy on the part of the CMs? I'm not saying that it's the CM's fault but if there's no incentive to reduce or stop theft then why bother?

It's policy - not the CMs.

Its a combination of Disney putting the guests over CMs.. not trusting the CMs with anything that might go counter to what a guest says.. and apathey towards the cost vs gain.

Disney doesn't let CMs actually interfere or stop a guest at all.. shoplifting or anything. Besides actual security folks.. merchandise CMs aren't going to do anything to stop or confine a guest.

dupac

This is standard retail practice. A couple of places taught us to be passive aggressive if we thought someone was trying to steal something. "Oh would you like to try on those jeans?" "Here, come look at these khakis that would go perfectly with that shirt." You can do nothing else. The best way to prevent theft is to customer service the heck out of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom