Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

FigmentForver96

I think Habit Heroes is a perfect example of why the concept of a Health & Fitness pavilion is dead on arrival in the year 2016. Such a pavilion by its very nature presents a self-professed standard for lifestyle and eating choices and that kind of generalization (no matter how innocently presented) does not gell with a PC culture of zero judgement allowed. Despite the significant increase in physical fitness centres, fashions and lifestyles in North America, there is an equally big pushback that sees the whole thing as peer pressure and body shaming.
Which in a way is crazy because medical and health innovative breakthroughs have been huge throughout the past decade alone.

Incomudro

I think Habit Heroes is a perfect example of why the concept of a Health & Fitness pavilion is dead on arrival in the year 2016. Such a pavilion by its very nature presents a self-professed standard for lifestyle and eating choices and that kind of generalization (no matter how innocently presented) does not gell with a PC culture of zero judgement allowed. Despite the significant increase in physical fitness centres, fashions and lifestyles in North America, there is an equally big pushback that sees the whole thing as peer pressure and body shaming.

Couple that with a vacation setting, where many people - even fitness types - may decide to give their fitness lifestyle a Mickey Premium or two.

celluloid

Everything can be a hit or a failure depending on how it is executed.

Wonders of Life did it well, even though perhaps dated by today's standards it was not a dud then.

Inside Out proved Mental Health and Development can still be presented well in an abstract fictional way of thinking that has real world applications.

Habit Heroes did not do what it wanted to well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The park's original designers would seem to disagree, there's some pretty interesting concept art out there of a Tron Arcade/Game Grid planned for CommuniCore. I would assume it was cancelled due to budgetary constraints..

It got pulled when the film didn't do as well as was hoped. Though surprisingly the space became seasonal until 1986.

image.png
image.png

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I think there was surprise that the "Fatty, Fatty, two by four, do some push ups, hit the floor" routine at the end was the exact opposite of warmly received. :lookaroun

No Name

If Tron was cutting edge, it would fit.
Tron_Lightcycles.jpg

It's not.

Wow, choosing a picture from the 1982 film instead of the 2012 film that most people are familiar with today. Nice!

Most people don't even know much about the 1982 film, if they even know it exists. The 2012 one is what the Shanghai coaster is being based on and what something added to Epcot today would be based on as well. And, to me, it has a very futuristic, high-tech, "cutting edge" feel.

As for whether or not it would fit with the theme of any of Epcot's pavilions, that is a whole 'nother topic. Epcot is supposed to be a different kind of futuristic, not the "wow so many neon lights" type of futuristic. I'm not sure how Tron would fit any of the pavilions' themes.

And Test Track v.2 is basically Tron in all but name, so it's kind of already in Epcot.

Monoblanco13

They need to make the park compelling in the first place. RoE still scores top in guest satisfaction.
If only the Disney market research surveys gave us more freedom on our comments. I take multiple surveys for them but never get the opportunity to tell them how I feel about certain attractions like UoE and Imagination.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think there was surprise that the "Fatty, Fatty, two by four, do some push ups, hit the floor" routine at the end was the exact opposite of warmly received. :lookaroun

Or as my DFIL would say 'Drop to the floor and give me 20 Maggot!', Yes he's a Marine who became a librarian! with a PhD in Library Science no less, God help you if you misplace a book in his library... As he's STILL a Marine and yes his Dress uniform STILL FITS (I' am so jealous).

Unplugged

If only the Disney market research surveys gave us more freedom on our comments. I take multiple surveys for them but never get the opportunity to tell them how I feel about certain attractions like UoE and Imagination.
They only use the "Were going to implement this and my boss told me to get a survey out to verify we need it, but I can't tell him no, so my survey must be carefully written so as 'All Signs Point to YES!' and not get me fired" method.

...if you're out of breath after reading that run on, then it worked as planned. ;)

Timekeeper

That's called willful blindness.

As for the Tron Arcade material referenced above (and in the image below), that reminds me of the Tomorrowland Arcade.

9e0b0255ff88d9a6b0c8888510b8eaff.jpg

doctornick

I use WS to correct that problem with my kids. They now know that Mexico is next to Norway which is next to China which is next to an unclaimed Outpost and so on.

All kidding aside, the last time we were there last time, my kids (ages 4.5 and 6.5 at the time) did the passport stamping thing and loved it. When we got home, they were very eager to compare their stamps to the actual places on a map. We also would talk about the various acts and which countries they were from. Edutainment is certainly not dead at Epcot -- you just have to want to pursue it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom