Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

JohnWD

TWDC is an umbrella company. They basically operate each resort area as a separate business, therefor revenue generated from one location pays for that location. Shanghai Shedhi Group contributed to the startup costs for the park, which includes exclusive access to an attraction that they helped fund. Basically, WDW would get the new film if not for Shanghai.
Did you mean "Basically, WDW would not get the new film if not for Shanghai."?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I find it hard to believe the old film comes back in Epcot.... My guess is that we will be with out this ride until they can use the film.

Not good but maybe I am wrong but I would think they money and time to program both films again is not worth it.

It has been known for a long time that Shanghi has a exclusive on the new film. People shouldn't be looking for a new film for a long time yet.

The effort to digitize the old film has already been done, and the shakedown done at DCA. It's gone without a hitch for customers.

Expect nothing more... you'll see the same film but with new projection technology.

No Name

TWDC is an umbrella company. They basically operate each resort area as a separate business, therefor revenue generated from one location pays for that location. Shanghai Shedhi Group contributed to the startup costs for the park, which includes exclusive access to an attraction that they helped fund. Basically, WDW would not get the new film if not for Shanghai.

Well, each resort isn't really operated as a seperate business, the resorts and the rest of TWDC are all much involved with eachother. If they were operated as seperate businesses, we would not be seeing two identical Star Wars lands, as well as other things. The profits from each resort are split between all of the owners, and each owner/company decides what to do with that money. Therefore, all profits that Disney makes from the parks (and other businesses) go into a big bowl, and part of the money from that bowl is going to Shanghai. I can't speak for the Shanghai Shendi Group and their interests.

Additionally, the money SSG (and Disney) pitched into the new Soarin film will help the domestic parks, places where SSG has no stake. That's why this short exclusivity deal is quite generous.

If revenue generated from one location paid for that location, then Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland would be in quite a tricky situation. It's a very responsible thing for Disney to share money between different parts ot the business the way they currently do, in my opinion. Some WDW-only fans would disagree, but I think keeping the foreign parks running and trying to make them successful is the right route.

But you're correct on the second part which is more important. We would not be getting this film if it weren't for Shanghai.

DisneyChik17

Well, each resort isn't really operated as a seperate business, the resorts and the rest of TWDC are all much involved with eachother. If they were operated as seperate businesses, we would not be seeing two identical Star Wars lands, as well as other things. The profits from each resort are split between all of the owners, and each owner/company decides what to do with that money. Therefore, all profits that Disney makes from the parks (and other businesses) go into a big bowl, and part of the money from that bowl is going to Shanghai. I can't speak for the Shanghai Shendi Group and their interests.

Additionally, the money SSG (and Disney) pitched into the new Soarin film will help the domestic parks, places where SSG has no stake. That's why this short exclusivity deal is quite generous.

If revenue generated from one location paid for that location, then Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland would be in quite a tricky situation. It's a very responsible thing for Disney to share money between different parts ot the business the way they currently do, in my opinion. Some WDW-only fans would disagree, but I think keeping the foreign parks running and trying to make them successful is the right route.

But you're correct on the second part which is more important. We would not be getting this film if it weren't for Shanghai.

When I was on my CP, they offered an operations class and we discussed this exact thing. It was the whole reason I took the class. Orlando funds Orlando, Anaheim funds Anaheim, and so on and so forth. Their is a contingency fund, if you will, that all parks put into and Disney essentially does their own bailouts on their own parks with that fund. They are not too big to fail, just too smart (for now). This is done for the purpose of inflation and exchange rates, as well as other factors.

lazyboy97o

That's just it, they are operated and measured independently. Star Wars Land being identical is about saving money. Disneyland Paris hasn't seen much in the way of significant invest and Hong Kong Disneyland's investment was due to pressure from its partner. This is why one Resort can demand exclusivity.

disreport

It has been known for a long time that Shanghi has a exclusive on the new film. People shouldn't be looking for a new film for a long time yet.

The effort to digitize the old film has already been done, and the shakedown done at DCA. It's gone without a hitch for customers.

Expect nothing more... you'll see the same film but with new projection technology.

Well we know it'll debut in Epcot, DCA at some point in 2016. Not sure that equals "a long time yet." Or am I missing something.

No Name

When I was on my CP, they offered an operations class and we discussed this exact thing. It was the whole reason I took the class. Orlando funds Orlando, Anaheim funds Anaheim, and so on and so forth. Their is a contingency fund, if you will, that all parks put into and Disney essentially does their own bailouts on their own parks with that fund. They are not too big to fail, just too smart (for now). This is done for the purpose of inflation and exchange rates, as well as other factors.
That's just it, they are operated and measured independently. Star Wars Land being identical is about saving money. Disneyland Paris hasn't seen much in the way of significant invest and Hong Kong Disneyland's investment was due to pressure from its partner. This is why one Resort can demand exclusivity.

Yes that makes sense. So not totally and entirely seperate businesses (as apposed to how holding companies treat their parts). Revenue from each does go back into that park, with help, and I guess you could say collaborating, from TWDC. I took what DisneyChik17 said to mean entirely independent. All three of us are really in agreement here.

Thebolt

Was just at the park this past Tuesday and the park was virtually empty... World Showcase was also quiet and it was very easy to pick a spot to watch Illuminations.

They really need to get on with replacing Illuminations next if they want to keep those restaurants full in the evenings. The dining competition from DAK, DS and WDS risks Epcot emptying out for the newer offerings.
Hopefully, Disney see upgrading the offering as the way to maintain margins over trying to squeeze more cash out of a decling number of visitors.
The Soarin' upgrade shows there is some realisation that enhancements are needed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They really need to get on with replacing Illuminations next if they want to keep those restaurants full in the evenings. The dining competition from DAK, DS and WDS risks Epcot emptying out for the newer offerings.
Hopefully, Disney see upgrading the offering as the way to maintain margins over trying to squeeze more cash out of a decling number of visitors.
The Soarin' upgrade shows there is some realisation that enhancements are needed.
They need to make the park compelling in the first place. RoE still scores top in guest satisfaction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
very true...

as for Ellen's Energy... I wish is was delayed indefinitely at this point (that needs some major TLC)

I wish they could go back to using the Radok blocks in the pre-show room. I sometimes wonder if I was the only one who really enjoyed that presentation. /sorry for the thread drift

UpAllNight

Epcot needs some tlc but I don't know if would go THAT far

So we have seen some laser enhancements on ROE and will see what will hopefully be a soarin, circle of life and frozen improvement this year, and turtle talk is getting an update...will new projects be announced this year that will role into 2017? I'm not talking major projects, just enhancements.

Epcot is pretty desperate but if they gradually enhance and improve they may be able to avoid the disgraceful situation that is DHS.

Daveeeeed

They need to make the park compelling in the first place. RoE still scores top in guest satisfaction.
I hope they don't get rid of Illuminations for multiple reasons. One because the score is the best for any firework show, 2 because it really is beautiful, and three because my cousin's (then fiancé now husband) was deployed on his 4th tour to Afghanistan the morning after we went to see it with them, they played we go on for their wedding dance too because of that. Every single time we go to Tutto Italia, and Chefs De France we make it a point to go outside and watch the fireworks after. Maybe they should make a restaraunt on the water to watch the fireworks. Upgrades like new lasers, and projection mapping should happen but all, if not the bulk of the show should remain. The 150 million dollars it might cost to replace it completely would be much better for a new Ellen ride, and a redoing of The Land interior. Or a complete overhaul of the Imagination Pavilion with a new show building for a new ride, possibly redoing, but upgrading the they're with a new film, and maybe even a restaraunt there to give it more of a draw than just a ride, but either way Ellen, the redesign of the interior of The Land, and Imagination overhaul need to happen just please keep IROE and most of the music for The Universe of Energy that is currently there!

Daveeeeed

So we have seen some laser enhancements on ROE and will see what will hopefully be a soarin, circle of life and frozen improvement this year, and turtle talk is getting an update...will new projects be announced this year that will role into 2017? I'm not talking major projects, just enhancements.

Epcot is pretty desperate but if they gradually enhance and improve they may be able to avoid the disgraceful situation that is DHS.
Would be nice to get rid of the circle of life, and put something worth doing there. Maybe an animatronic show like what used to be there, but do it creatively. Living with the land could use an upgrade/update too especially at the finale, the line area, and the show scenes.

KYgirl

I usually don't post on here. I just enjoy reading the updates and ideas. I love Soarin and Epcot, but I do think the park could use some improvements. I would absolutely love to see a Tron coaster there. Epcot is the only park without a roller coaster and the theme would fit in perfectly. I think they should do away with the Ellen ride and the empty pavilion that sets in that corner of the park and use that space. It wouldn't be like you were really missing out on anything. They would just be adding to the park. Hopefully once Shanghai opens and starts generating some revenue more improvements can be made at home. The coaster looks incredible and would be a great asset to Epcot's futuristic theme.

ToTBellHop

That would explain why it's being closed for so long. Installing the kind of HVAC air flow they need to pump the theater full of gas-fume-smelling-fog and then evacuate it for the next show will take some BIG fans!
Please. They are trying to class the joint up. It'll smell of sesame chicken and sake (us rubes don't know the difference between China and Japan, anyway).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom