Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
All kidding aside, the last time we were there last time, my kids (ages 4.5 and 6.5 at the time) did the passport stamping thing and loved it. When we got home, they were very eager to compare their stamps to the actual places on a map. We also would talk about the various acts and which countries they were from. Edutainment is certainly not dead at Epcot -- you just have to want to pursue it.

We liked the passport stamping too. On a side note, my kids (now 12 and 10) are getting a pretty good geography education here in Indiana. They've had tests on maps that have covered geological and political landmarks/boundaries. For example, we had to quiz my son on eastern European countries and capitals a while back and I know I never had to do that. @Monty - at one point with each kid we went to this online site that quizzed and reviewed all the Canadian provinces and capitals, for their big Canada quiz. @Bob this was followed up with Mexican states and capitals. I learned they were doing a NAFTA unit. I know I never learned about our North American neighbors in that detail. On the whole, I think it is better than what I got in school in the mid 80's. I learned some geography on my own because I kind of liked it. I've always been a bit of a weirdo so I actually memorized maps when I was younger. I may be the only kid who liked the National Geographics with the big wall maps more than the ones with a little bit of nudity (besides, everyone knew the "Photography" section of Barnes and Noble is where you went for that). I also was big into the old AAA Triptik things. I would study our route intently, read all the information available in the fold out and drive my family crazy as I brought up stopping at the clam cannery or whatever that was only 2.3 miles off of our route again and again.

Last edited:

Wikkler

We liked the passport stamping too. On a side note, my kids (now 12 and 10) are getting a pretty good geography education here in Indiana. They've had tests on maps that have covered geological and political landmarks/boundaries. For example, we had to quiz my son on eastern European countries and capitals a while back and I know I never had to do that. @Monty - at one point with each kid we went to this online site that quizzed and reviewed all the Canadian provinces and capitals, for their big Canada quiz. @Bob this was followed up with Mexican states and capitals. I learned they were doing a NAFTA unit. I know I never learned about our North American neighbors in that detail. On the whole, I think it is better than what I got in school in the mid 80's. I learned some geography on my own because I kind of liked it. I've always been a bit of a weirdo so I actually memorized maps when I was younger. I may be the only kid who liked the National Geographics with the big wall maps more than the ones with a little bit of nudity (besides, everyone knew the "Photography" section of Barnes and Noble is where you went for that). I also was big into the old AAA Triptik things. I would study our route intently, read all the information available in the fold out and drive my family crazy as I brought up stopping at the clam cannery or whatever that was only 2.3 miles off of our route again and again.
Your kid is so lucky.

olie64

That's great to hear. I go over this stuff with my students also.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Just my opinion, but it would be a bad marketing move to reopen without the new film.

Correct. Interestingly enough, due to reaction to another rumor (I have no idea what it could be) I have it on good authority that we're getting an even newer, more specific film - "Soarin' over the Twilight Zone Terror of Tower" ....weird I know. You'd think flying over a well themed, theme park show building for 4 or 5 minutes would get kind of old, but an executive told me that after a meeting they had determined that was the best way to "kill two birds with one stone" and this would preserve "the stupid ride for the weirdos" and "would allow us to make what is sure to be a lucrative upgrade"....I really have no idea what he's talking about, but I found it really odd and disconcerting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom