So ... news and rumors?

MousDad

Even better, I was just told the other day that the most common words heard during Lassater and Co.'s recent visit were:

"Are we doing something about this?"
and
"What is the plan here?".

That's kind of what I was getting at. Is it reasonable to think that since the DL ship has been righted, and after the DCA ship gets righted, it might be reasonable to assume that the real powers will set their sights on Orlando?

Lee

Adventurer
but from what Lee is saying, if this is all that WDW's brain trust have going on, you had better start looking for somewhere else to go..
Nah...that's not all they have brewing. As Martin says, there is plenty more stuff out there...just nothing that is moving at anything more than a snail's pace.

Is it reasonable to think that since the DL ship has been righted, and after the DCA ship gets righted, it might be reasonable to assume that the real powers will set their sights on Orlando?
Kinda. But really, there is no need to put them in any kind of order like that. No reason not to move forward on more than one front.

EPCOT Explorer

You obviously didn't read whta I said. You ask me if I hate theme parks so I responded that where I come from we are allowed to have our opinions. The reason I belive M:S is a poor attraction is not because it "killed horizons" the reason is because the attraction sucks rotten eggs. The storyline they forced into it makes no sense (so its a simulation of a simulation? Why even bother making a backstory that your in the year 2077 in ISTC then?), the ending is poor and unfulfilling, the "interactive feature" is insulting to guetss intelligence, the claims that you experince weightlessness was total hype I went on the ride several times and never once felt weightless, the themeing is bare bones, the video is the poorest CGI I have ever seen, etc. etc.

I genuinely believe Star Tours gives a better fealing of traveling through space than Mission:Space does. Mission Space is just a glorified Gravitron carnivale ride and wound up making people sick and in some cases led to death. If by entertains you mean it makes people sick than yea its entertaining all right.

So getting back to what I said since 2001-2003 "slow down" all we got after that was a clone of DCA's Soarin' and Expedition Everest which is a barebones version of the Forbidden Mountain that Joe Rhodes had proposed for DAK. For the record, I enjoyed both attractions though.
OK....Enjoy that opinion of yours.

I prefer to be optimistic.
epcot explorer

The only thing I can really see happening is two EPCOT projects...:)lookaroun;)) I believe their budgets were already allocated. One in MK too...HoP I believe.

what two projects do you think will happen at epcot?

Journey Into Imagination With Figment and SSE?
:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

Meeeeeybe.

tirian

Even better, I was just told the other day that the most common words heard during Lassater and Co.'s recent visit were:

and

I've been told that if they had their way, heads would be rolling down Splash Mt. right now. :lol:

TP2000

What has DL had recently that is really top notch though (besides the two refurbs)? I'd say their one and only standout over WDW is indy. DL doesnt even run a daily day parade, night parade, or firework show.

I think you need to check your entertainment schedule again. :lol:

Disneyland always has at least one "major" entertainment offering daily on weekdays even during the slowest weeks of winter. At the very minimum on the slowest days, they either run a Parade of Dreams or a Fantasmic! daily 365 days a year.

Right now, during these two weeks while they swap out the Parade of Dreams for the Christmas Fantasy Parade, Disneyland is running a nightly Fantasmic! Monday through Thursday at 7:30 PM since there is no parade at Disneyland.

Next door Disney's California Adventure is doing HSM3 street parties twice per day, with a Pixar Play Parade at 5:00 PM daily Monday through Thursday. So there is still a major parade and two street parties in Anaheim daily, in addition to the nightly Fantasmic!.

Beginning this Friday Disneyland switches to it's daily Christmas schedule where on slow weekdays there will always be at least one Christmas Fantasy Parade and one Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show nightly. On weekends and busier days Disneyland adds one or two Fantasmic! performances and a second showing of Christmas Fantasy Parade at night, in addition to the Believe fireworks.

DCA adds in a nightly Electrical Parade performance for weekends and busy days through New Years, in addition to the daily Pixar Play Parade and the HSM3 parties.

On an average Saturday year round or any summertime or peak holiday week a person in Anaheim with a park-hopper ticket could pick from the following seven major offerings between the two parks that sit 50 yards from each other;

DAILY IN ANAHEIM:
Two Parade of Dreams or Christmas Fantasy Parades
Two Fantasmic! performances
One Disneyland fireworks spectacular, Remember or Holiday Believe
One afternoon Pixar Play Parade
One evening Disney's Electrical Parade

That's in addition to the Aladdin Broadway Musical, HSM3 Street Party, Playhouse Disney, Princess Fantasy Faire, Golden Horseshoe show, Jedi Training Academy, etc. and the other staged entertainment offerings.

If anything, on my last visit to WDW I looked at the one parade or one fireworks show offered a day in DAK, DHS or Epcot and wondered where all the big entertainment stuff was at all these big parks with huge walkways? :animwink:

tirian

Nah...that's not all they have brewing. As Martin says, there is plenty more stuff out there...just nothing that is moving at anything more than a snail's pace.

Right. Many of us aren't complaining that nothing is planned; we're saying that it has taken much too long for the improvements to come through. I can think of exactly 11 projects that are either legitimately greenlighted or close to it.

But we could probably link arms and walk around the equator singing "Kumbaya" before they're done.

EPCOT Explorer

Right. Many of us aren't complaining that nothing is planned; we're saying that it has taken much too long for the improvements to come through. I can think of exactly 11 projects that are either legitimately greenlighted or close to it.

But we could probably link arms and walk around the equator singing "Kumbaya" before they're done.

So WDW in 10 years or so will be great?:lol::lol:

-:lookaroun

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

A)"Are we doing something about this?"
and
B)"What is the plan here?".

What they didnt hear were the answers... which are:

A) "Yeah.... we are going to build another DVC booth."
and
B) "Churro or pin stand? Or! How about a churro & pin stand all in one!"

:lol::lookaroun

EPCOT Explorer

What they didnt hear were the answers... which are:

A) "Yeah.... we are going to build another DVC booth."
and
B) "Churro or pin stand? Or! How about a churro & pin stand all in one!"

:lol::lookaroun

You just named the two most addictive things in all of WDW.:lol:

How about pins about churros?:slurp::lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Phew... very good points.

Thanks. I try!

I just really am trying to get people to understand it is NOT simply a case of WDW needing new attractions. It does ... but the it ultimately needs creative people with vision who understand Walt's Legacy (and I don't mean just the man, but the incredible dream factory he created) and can run the parks and resorts division with a desire to live up to it in the 21st century.

I know ... sounds so simple, right?

WDW1974

Original Poster
EDIT: For the first time, Al Lutz has today echoed what has been hinted at here, namely Fantasyland being on shaky ground and Space Mountain being a very bare bones refurb. In fact, he is indicating that DL/DCA look to be the only parks getting any kind of love (since the money is already spent, technically) until this financial uncertainty passes.

Yeah ... and Al has excellent sources. You'd be surprised at how much effort Burbank, Anaheim and Glendale have gone through to plug their leaks, yet he still gets the info ... and, sadly, I don't think he's off on this.

EPCOT Explorer

Thanks. I try!

I just really am trying to get people to understand it is NOT simply a case of WDW needing new attractions. It does ... but the it ultimately needs creative people with vision who understand Walt's Legacy (and I don't mean just the man, but the incredible dream factory he created) and can run the parks and resorts division with a desire to live up to it in the 21st century.

I know ... sounds so simple, right?

It is simple! They KNOW how to do these things. It's a wonder they don't do them!:rolleyes:

WDW1974

Original Poster
You have made these points several times and many are good. I do wonder why you make them? Are you trying to convince us and perhaps move us to action? If so, then the million dollar question is, "What would you have us do"? Recognizing the problem is the easy part. Doing something about it is the hard part. I ask you because you seem to know quite a bit about the inner workings so perhaps you are more qualified than others to judge what would be an effective way to combat the declining standards at WDW.

I have my agenda ... I readily admit that.

I make my points because this is a forum for discussing a place we all love -- WDW.

I make my points because I know people are reading. Certain people with influence or in a position to influence.

I make my points because maybe I can get a few people to think more critically and rationally as to why certain decisions are made.

I am one of the most loyal WDW customers (notice I didn't say guest because WDW doesn't treat people as guests really anymore) and I think I bring a very unique perspective because of ... how to put it? ... my life experience (yes, I'm being vague because while I know the good folks at TWDC know exactly who I am, people online don't and that's just the way I want it).

As to solving the problems? Well, there isn't an easy answer ... but it would start with giving P&R and WDI enemas and getting some new blood in there.

Lee

Adventurer
... but the it ultimately needs creative people with vision who understand Walt's Legacy (and I don't mean just the man, but the incredible dream factory he created) and can run the parks and resorts division with a desire to live up to it in the 21st century.

Ok...ok...I volunteer. I'll do it.
All is ask is a resonable salary and free Dole whips.
:D

Missing20K

and

That is the more promising to me than any rumors of refurbs, new rides, etc. Just the fact that they are there, taking it all in, and realizing it needs serious work, beyond a new E-Ticket, or parade, or resort. I am holding on to hope that because of Lassater's love for all things Disney, his prior experience of being a CM, the fact he has a wonderful grasp of storytelling, and that he seems to be able to conjure up a modern day Walt in his decision making, (though I do feel he pushes his Pixar creations a bit too much), that WDW will soon get the love it so desperately needs.

Those in the know, Lee, Martin, WDW1974, do you feel that with Lassater being the creative head of WDI, that maybe Rasulo and Iger and Co., will allow him and his teams to accomplish the tasks necessary to re-position WDW as the flagship Disney resort, as well as bolstering it's reputation as the number one vacation destination in the world?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom