So ... news and rumors?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think you need to check your entertainment schedule again. :lol:

Disneyland always has at least one "major" entertainment offering daily on weekdays even during the slowest weeks of winter. At the very minimum on the slowest days, they either run a Parade of Dreams or a Fantasmic! daily 365 days a year.

It may have one major offering, but if we compare last week.

DL weekdays - Fantasmic

MK weekdays - Wishes, SpectroMagic, Disney Dreams Come True Parade, Dream Along with Mickey.

Just putting some perspective out there that it isnt all rosey out there at DL as some would have everyone believe. Let's not also forget that if you are lucky enough to be there on a weekend, and DL shows the Remember show, if the wind is more than you can feel on the back of your neck, it's cancelled.

benji

I'm also bored along with everyone else. Although TSM was a nice ride. It just wasn't enough to hold me over until the next big thing that comes along. I never thought I will hear myself say this but I think I'm going to be spending more time at Sea World and Universal next year. Manta at Sea World is looking spectacular. A heavily themed flying coaster with aquariums surrounding it sounds amazing. Hollywood Rocket Coaster and Potter at Universal look really cool too. I find that Disney is cutting back more than adding attractions. Cut backs on Fantasmic and the end of Super Soap is sad. I hope they replace it with a Halloween event! Maybe that will be the next big rumor dug up. Universal's HHN was at the top of it's game this years with Bloody Mary. Maybe Disney can top that. Well thanks for letting me vent people.:wave:

EPCOTCenterLover

This February will be our last WDW trip for probably 7 or 8 years. Why?

We'll probably skip the Studios (I can see Toy Story Midway Mania at DCA) as there are too many live theater shows and not enough real attractions.

We LOVE DAK but again, it needs something- more real attractions and something to do beyond 5 or 6pm. Has to be a park for the evening as well.

Epcot is our favorite park- but honestly, Imagination has been ruined, Energy is outdated, don't get me started on Wonders of Life. Mission Space is a one time experience- and World Showcase needs something more than a charcter infusion or an updated film to keep its appeal.

Magic Kingdom? Disneyland is far superior and much closer. The surrounding resorts are gorgeous, however.

Why are we going? Free tickets but to limited destinations, and we are not Las Vegas or Salt Lake City kind of people- and we come from Los Angeles, so that is no thrill.

Besides, time alone with my wife at WDW without playing tour guide? Just wonderful!

WDW1974

Original Poster
In my opinion WDW is in a much better state of upkeep than DLR. I was actually surprised at the amount of graphitti, gum, flaking paint and poor restroom condition at DLR. I think the whole "DL is kept better than WDW" is a case of the grass is always greener on the other side. Having seen both sides myself in person, I'd take WDW's upkeep anyday.

I can only tell you my experiences (although you certainly have a point about some of the grafitti in DL/DCA restrooms) WDW has far more and far more widespread problems.

Take a look at the wood frames and doors on Main Street at MK ... take a look at the holes in pavement at MK ... take a look (but PLEASE do NOT lean) at the rotten wooden walls at the Adventureland Veranda (lean in the wrong place and you'll find yourself down below either dead, paralyzed or seriously injured) the rot is so bad ... take a look at many places at WDW where wood chips and mulch somehow qualify as landscaping vs. the lush flower beds year round in DL ... take a look at the queues for Buzz and TSMM at both WDW and DL etc ...

I've had an AP at WDW since EPCOT Center debuted (I was there on Day 1 btw). I've had an AP at DL for over a decade. Until two years ago, I split time between residences in South Florida and Beverly Hills (a 40-minute drive to DL on a good day!) I've had an AP at DLP for a few years now too. That means I've spent an awful lot of time in Disney's parks. While DLR has some issues (these are parks with people after all), I can say categorically that WDW has far more issues and seems to take them much less seriously than they do in Anaheim.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I can only tell you my experiences (although you certainly have a point about some of the grafitti in DL/DCA restrooms) WDW has far more and far more widespread problems.

Take a look at the wood frames and doors on Main Street at MK ... take a look at the holes in pavement at MK ... take a look (but PLEASE do NOT lean) at the rotten wooden walls at the Adventureland Veranda (lean in the wrong place and you'll find yourself down below either dead, paralyzed or seriously injured) the rot is so bad ... take a look at many places at WDW where wood chips and mulch somehow qualify as landscaping vs. the lush flower beds year round in DL ... take a look at the queues for Buzz and TSMM at both WDW and DL etc ...

I've had an AP at WDW since EPCOT Center debuted (I was there on Day 1 btw). I've had an AP at DL for over a decade. Until two years ago, I split time between residences in South Florida and Beverly Hills (a 40-minute drive to DL on a good day!) I've had an AP at DLP for a few years now too. That means I've spent an awful lot of time in Disney's parks. While DLR has some issues (these are parks with people after all), I can say categorically that WDW has far more issues and seems to take them much less seriously than they do in Anaheim.

We each have our own opinion on that, but I still consider WDW to be better kept than DLR. The condition of California Screamin for example is an absolute disgrace. There is paint peeling off everywhere, in the queue, on the track, on the supports. In some areas it had worn through the top coat, through the undercoat and down to bare metal. I have never seen anything like that at WDW. If you visit a DLR bathroom, you are hard pushed to find one that is free from etched in grafiti on the sensors above each urinal.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking as a local that has AP's to all of the Orlando Parks, I have to say that the excitement generated from WDW is at a real low point. I love going to the Disney parks, but there is a huge feeling of lack of lack of care and interest from Disney itself when you visit the resort.

At the same time you visit both SeaWorld and Universal and see them both investing heavily in their resorts even with the economic downturn. You have Seaworlds new water park which is amazing, the new Manta Coaster and aquarium which also looks amazing, and a brand new show. Over at Universal, you just got the Simpsons Ride, a new coaster for next year, and of course Harry Potter for IOA which is already drawing attention from the guests just to watch it being built.

During this same period Disney has closed PI, which is strictly a budget cut as far as I am concerned and anyone who has been over there recently can attest that the darkened ghost town it has become is a new low for show quality by Disney. They are cutting entertainment all over the resort including slashing the Fantasmic Budget, and as WDW1974 has said, upkeep is absolutely appalling ecspecially around parts of Magic Kingdom.

There used to be a time when Disney would make a statement when the competition started to build new and exciting attractions by matching or even topping them with new things of their own. What we get now is the new DVC tower which they waited to grow 15 stories before even feeling compelled to tell people what it was for fear of decreasing sales at Saratoga and Animal Kingdom lodge.

When I go out to Disneyland the cast there seems much more proud of where they work and on maintaining the traditions and integrety of the park. I was never there in the Pressler era, but the 4 times I have been since 2004 I have been shocked at the difference in quality and upkeep, even including DCA. The WDW Resort as a whole is a better vacation experience, but when you break it down into its individual parts, the lack of care and interest becomes apparant.

I would love nothing more than to see Disney attendance decline this year and Universal and SeaWorld rise. Maybe that would wake someone up and start a upward trend of upkeep and additions. More than likely though Disney will stay on top of the theme park attendance race in Orlando due to the heavy discounting and there will continue to be no significant improvements/investments into the Orlando Parks. All of which is pretty darn depressing.

Great points, top to bottom.

Universal and Busch, both of which may be on the for sale block very soon and both of which might be owned by Blackstone 100% as well, are investing over a billion in Orlando in terms of new attractions (when you toss in Aquatica too, which is a great park!) now ... yet Disney can't bring Space Mountain into the 21st century? C'mon is there anyone here stupid enough to believe that.

At some point Disney's lack of direction at the top is going to hurt them in Orlando because their competition may not have the pixie dust, but it does have fresh quality attractions.

And what does Disney have? AI? A revamped HoP? (and that was going to happen either way because they had no choice) Free tix on your B-Day? That'll help attract people who are losing their 401Ks!

What people need to understand is how ordinary and WalMart WDW's 'leadership' team truly is.

They have no clue ... none.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
are investing over a billion in Orlando in terms of new attractions (when you toss in Aquatica too, which is a great park!) now ... yet Disney can't bring Space Mountain into the 21st century? C'mon is there anyone here stupid enough to believe that.

Oh come on! Now thats shown your true colors! You've just confirmed you are just hell bent on bashing WDW at any possible chance. Aquatica is a GREAT park! Bare metal, off the shelf water slides into a pool. That makes a great park does it? You have such high expectations of WDW, and yet you would classify Aquatica as "great".

WDW1974

Original Poster
Playing devils advocate, I`d cough something like "the recession is an excuse" or similar. I won`t, since peoples jobs are on the line, but the day WDW runs out of money for park investment is the day hell freezes over.

I won`t chirp on about how it isn`t how it used to be, back in the day, or similar, but the plans for the parks - short and medium term - are part and parcel of running a theme park. Current Orlando management seem to forget it takes more than celebrations and DVCs to make it tick. As mentioned above, most of the famous staple E Tickets have gotten the love they sorely needed - and who`d have place the HoP above Space Mountain? In a year or two the latter will start to become an embarrassment compared not just to the other 4 but to coasters in general in and outside of Orlando. I can`t help but get the feeling the SM farce is using the economic climate as an excuse to continue to use the claim `the guests like it`. If only the guests knew what they could and should have ridden.

Across all 4 parks there are 29 projects that I know of that WDI has ready to go. They need TDO to say yes. That is the massive stumbling block. If anyone saw Burbanks upper management or WDI reps get off the JC or Pirates or Imagination and look shell shocked it is clear the west coast has lots to give to the east coast, but only when they want it.

That is partly true, no doubt.

But Burbank ultimately decides the direction of WDW. If they cared about the stale WalMarted product, then they'd invest. Simple.

Although it is funny how money often goes to different places ... ask around about the money that was supposed to go to a MK version of Mansion Holiday a few years ago. That was approved by Burbank. Where did the $$$s go? Go down into the tunnels and watch all those flat screen TVs constantly playing Cast TV BS about the Disney Difference .. and those added decorations at Halloween (the ones Phil picked up at SuperWalMart with the Escalade) ... just an example of how things can be reallocated.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed, there PoTC and Space were good refurbs. :)

So much of WDW's budget goes to running the entire resort. As you know, DL is so tiny in comparison, a much larger portion of it's budget can go towards the parks.

What has DL had recently that is really top notch though (besides the two refurbs)? I'd say their one and only standout over WDW is indy. DL doesnt even run a daily day parade, night parade, or firework show.

Sure the budget goes to running the entire resort, but how much more does WDW bring in with all those hotel rooms and timeshares?

Of course, I fault WDW management for their non-stop building of 30,000 hotel rooms and timeshares because ultimately when times are tough they are a huge drag on the resort.

I also don't like getting into a DL vs. WDW battle because those never go anywhere. But I completely disagree that Indy is their one standout over MK. I'll state that I believe that of every attraction that both parks share (and let's not point out that DL has almost twice as many attractions) that the only ones superior in MK are Mansion (and that's a very recent deal), BTMRR and Pooh (bearly!)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sure the budget goes to running the entire resort, but how much more does WDW bring in with all those hotel rooms and timeshares?

Of course, I fault WDW management for their non-stop building of 30,000 hotel rooms and timeshares because ultimately when times are tough they are a huge drag on the resort.

But when the going is good, as it has been, and will be again, those 30,000 hotel rooms sure come in handy.

Where do you think the money for DCA makeover is coming from and those other DL attraction refurbishments that you enjoy so much? It isnt coming from the revenue from the 3 little hotels at DLR that's for sure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Those in the know, Lee, Martin, WDW1974, do you feel that with Lassater being the creative head of WDI, that maybe Rasulo and Iger and Co., will allow him and his teams to accomplish the tasks necessary to re-position WDW as the flagship Disney resort, as well as bolstering it's reputation as the number one vacation destination in the world?

John Lasseter is a wonderful and very talented man. A visionary and the closest thing to Walt that Disney has had in a very long time.

But John is one individual with many responsibilities. And his priorities/passions are as follows:

1.) Pixar;
2.) WDFA;
3.) DL/DCA;
4.) Everything else in the Disney empire.

In other words, John may care about WDW, but he is far less likely to go to battle over Space Mountain's redo or a Fantasyland makeover for MK than he is over something relatively small in Anaheim.

WDW really needs an advocate and they don't have it.

Hell, can you imagine if Al Lutz lived in Orlando and blogged about that resort?

Yeah, that would have Inoverherheadmeg under the bed in the fetal position.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We each have our own opinion on that, but I still consider WDW to be better kept than DLR. The condition of California Screamin for example is an absolute disgrace. There is paint peeling off everywhere, in the queue, on the track, on the supports. In some areas it had worn through the top coat, through the undercoat and down to bare metal. I have never seen anything like that at WDW. If you visit a DLR bathroom, you are hard pushed to find one that is free from etched in grafiti on the sensors above each urinal.

I don't disagree with you about Screamin at all, although that will be fixed within the next year.

But do you think that attractions like Space and Splash Mountain are in good shape at WDW? I am afraid to touch the handrails on the logs on Splash because they are so disgusting and reek since they aren't disinfected nightly (or ever).

And have you walked thru Buzz Lighyear recently (or anytime)? Have you seen the holes in the walls, the whitewash over some of them, the filth on the floor? Even the new TSMM has (or had as someone said they've been fixed) holes gouged out of the walls in the queue already.

I think we can go back and forth, but I am not happy to see things like that anywhere.

And when it is ignored by management it angers me even more as both a Disney fan and a stockholder because I know it encourages even more damage.

FWIW, the filthiest thing I've ever seen at any Disney park is the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure at DLR. Just filthy with oil and grease and food stains all over it since it hasn't ever been cleaned. (at night, forget about it, as people just leave trash all over the place and it resembles a dump) ... But the fact this thing is never cleaned is terrible because it IS the first thing most people see when they visit DL.

pheneix

You've just confirmed you are just hell bent on bashing WDW at any possible chance. Aquatica is a GREAT park! Bare metal, off the shelf water slides into a pool. That makes a great park does it?

Aquatica is the most popular water park in the world right now. Period. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon took a serious hit in attendance this year while Aquatica is poised to hit the 2 million park in only 10 months of operation.

Could there be a lot more there? Definitely, and there will be a lot more there in both micro and macro additions over the next two years.

But to dismiss Aquatica as "bare metal off the shelf water slides into a pool" is just ridiculous. It is a great park that does a lot of things better than Disney (park upkeep, food, and guest facilities immediately jump out) and will probably carry the flag as Orlando's premier water park in the years to come.

Where do you think the money for DCA makeover is coming from and those other DL attraction refurbishments that you enjoy so much?

DVDs and cable television. No theme park outfit is capable of ch__________g $1 billion in cash into a project like DCA all by itself.

We each have our own opinion on that, but I still consider WDW to be better kept than DLR.

I mean no disrespect when I ask this, because I really just want to know. How recently have you been to DLR and WDW? I can't imagine anyone walking away from those two resorts with that opinion if they've visited within the last 2-3 years.

No beer and no TV make Homer something something.

:lookaroun

seriously, I hope something gets announced soon, the cabin fever seems to be getting to everyone.

TarzanRocked99-

Oh come on! Now thats shown your true colors! You've just confirmed you are just hell bent on bashing WDW at any possible chance. Aquatica is a GREAT park! Bare metal, off the shelf water slides into a pool. That makes a great park does it? You have such high expectations of WDW, and yet you would classify Aquatica as "great".

no offense to you Steve but Aquatica is much better than you give it credit for and if you are going to use the bar metal argument then you have to point the finger at Typhoon Lagoons much promoted addition a few years ago Crush'n Gusher which is just as bar metal in design.

The fact is when you are in this area all the time it becomes apparant who is and who isnt investing in their products. It used to be Disney, now all we are seeing is Disney cutting back and the other two players in town stepping up to the plate.

TarzanRocked99-

Playing devils advocate, I`d cough something like "the recession is an excuse" or similar. I won`t, since peoples jobs are on the line, but the day WDW runs out of money for park investment is the day hell freezes over.

I won`t chirp on about how it isn`t how it used to be, back in the day, or similar, but the plans for the parks - short and medium term - are part and parcel of running a theme park. Current Orlando management seem to forget it takes more than celebrations and DVCs to make it tick. As mentioned above, most of the famous staple E Tickets have gotten the love they sorely needed - and who`d have place the HoP above Space Mountain? In a year or two the latter will start to become an embarrassment compared not just to the other 4 but to coasters in general in and outside of Orlando. I can`t help but get the feeling the SM farce is using the economic climate as an excuse to continue to use the claim `the guests like it`. If only the guests knew what they could and should have ridden.

Across all 4 parks there are 29 projects that I know of that WDI has ready to go. They need TDO to say yes. That is the massive stumbling block. If anyone saw Burbanks upper management or WDI reps get off the JC or Pirates or Imagination and look shell shocked it is clear the west coast has lots to give to the east coast, but only when they want it.

Wanted to jump in on your would have should have could have point about some of the attraction re-do's that were designed but not fully realized. I was in a position back in 2004/05 to be up in the Exec Offices above Main Street on a weekly basis and some of the concept boards sitting in ole Phils office for Pirates and yes even COP which at that point they were talking about moving to where MILF is now were absolutely amazing. I am not sure if Phil and his crew are the main reasons things have gotten as bad as they are, but it has to be someone locally because the proposals I saw at that point were nothing short of spectacular.

Enigma

Account Suspended
What has DL had recently that is really top notch though (besides the two refurbs)? I'd say their one and only standout over WDW is indy. DL doesnt even run a daily day parade, night parade, or firework show.

They revamped and brought back their Submarine Voyage for starters...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom