Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

sweetpee_1993

Oh my. I feel like I'm right there with you. The way you describe your final ride it really does lend a small level of understanding of just how well you know this attraction from all your years of riding with Ben. Ben is an amazing boy, one all of us who know and have followed your family's story adore. What's more is the reflection that Ben is of his amazing parents who have made his incredible journey possible. Your dedication is what exemplifies what it is to be a parent. As a mother, I am in awe of you, sir. But then your writing goes even further as it provides insight for those who wouldn't otherwise stop to think or to imagine the world through the eyes of an autistic child. The world we live in can be renewed when you change the perspective from which you view it. You've provided yet another fresh look to a person who might not have otherwise seen it this way. For that I am grateful. Thank you.

WDW1974

DL certainly served a valuable purpose as a beta test ground for what was to become WDW. DL is now a total anachronism that only survives because it is profitable as it exemplifies all the many mistakes Disney made along the way. I am glad you enjoy it and I encourage other people to see it at least once, if they happen to be in SC for other business.

Unlike WDW, I would never recommend to anyone that they make a special trip to see DL and/or CA. They’re neither worth the time nor the effort and Anaheim is the pits. There is just no comparison between WDW and DL and it is fine with me if you prefer to think of DL as being the superior park. Having visited both, I know the truth of the matter.

Turning Walt into a deity is creepy. "Touched by Walt himself..." are rides that Walt himself would have junked years ago! :wave:

You know what's great about the Internet (other than free naughty pics/videos)? Nothing.

But wanna know what some people like about the Internet (me not so much) ? it's that anyone with a dumb opinion can share it with the world, can blather on about it and that it can even be treated the same as an intelligent opinion.

Of course being that you are so clever, you likely already knew this and didn't need the refresher. Sorry.

IlikeDW

DL certainly served a valuable purpose as a beta test ground for what was to become WDW. DL is now a total anachronism that only survives because it is profitable as it exemplifies all the many mistakes Disney made along the way. I am glad you enjoy it and I encourage other people to see it at least once, if they happen to be in SC for other business.

Unlike WDW, I would never recommend to anyone that they make a special trip to see DL and/or CA. They’re neither worth the time nor the effort and Anaheim is the pits. There is just no comparison between WDW and DL and it is fine with me if you prefer to think of DL as being the superior park. Having visited both, I know the truth of the matter.

Turning Walt into a deity is creepy. "Touched by Walt himself..." are rides that Walt himself would have junked years ago! :wave:

You know what they say about opinions, everyone has one. In this case I would have to disagree with you. We made our "one" trip from NC to Disneyland in 2009 and found it so deficient that we are returning this year just to make sure it has not gotten any worse.

Clever Name

You know what they say about opinions, everyone has one. In this case I would have to disagree with you. We made our "one" trip from NC to Disneyland in 2009 and found it so deficient that we are returning this year just to make sure it has not gotten any worse.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, his first few models didn’t work very well. Same thing is true when he invented the phonograph and the motion picture projector. He had to change out models several times before he got one that worked properly. Alexander Graham Bell followed a similar path with his work on the telegraph and the telephone.

The same thing is true for Walt Disney. Disneyland was full of problems from the very start and Disney did his best to correct the insufficiencies. However, he knew (and publicly admitted) that some flaws in Disneyland would never be fixed. That is the reason why he decided to improve upon his failures in Disneyland and build Disneyworld.

Unfortunately, due to his unexpected death, he was unable to see his plans come to fruition. But as we know, his brother Roy was able to at least bring part of Walt’s grand plan to life in the MK. The entire infrastructure in the MK (water, electric, gas, hydraulics, vistas, transportation, etc.) was meticulously planned before the first shovel of earth was turned. It is unlike anything that Disneyland has to offer.

Disneyland was a prototype kind of like the first glider that the Wright brothers made. The Wright brothers knew that they had to develop reliable control of that glider first before powered flight would be possible. By the same token, Walt used Disneyland as an experiment to get things right and he quickly realized that he needed to start over because Disneyland was too flawed.

Disneyland served a noble purpose and deserves a salute for its groundbreaking influence on the theme park industry. It is not my desire to minimize its importance in the evolution of themed entertainment. :wave:

biggy H

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, his first few models didn’t work very well. Same thing is true when he invented the phonograph and the motion picture projector. He had to change out models several times before he got one that worked properly. Alexander Graham Bell followed a similar path with his work on the telegraph and the telephone.

The same thing is true for Walt Disney. Disneyland was full of problems from the very start and Disney did his best to correct the insufficiencies. However, he knew (and publicly admitted) that some flaws in Disneyland would never be fixed. That is the reason why he decided to improve upon his failures in Disneyland and build Disneyworld.

Unfortunately, due to his unexpected death, he was unable to see his plans come to fruition. But as we know, his brother Roy was able to at least bring part of Walt’s grand plan to life in the MK. The entire infrastructure in the MK (water, electric, gas, hydraulics, vistas, transportation, etc.) was meticulously planned before the first shovel of earth was turned. It is unlike anything that Disneyland has to offer.

Disneyland was a prototype kind of like the first glider that the Wright brothers made. The Wright brothers knew that they had to develop reliable control of that glider first before powered flight would be possible. By the same token, Walt used Disneyland as an experiment to get things right and he quickly realized that he needed to start over because Disneyland was too flawed.

Disneyland served a noble purpose and deserves a salute for its groundbreaking influence on the theme park industry. It is not my desire to minimize its importance in the evolution of themed entertainment. :wave:

Just to be picky, Edison didn't invent the light bulb. Humphry Davy did in 1802.... Edison made the first comerically workable one..

lazyboy97o

This would all be well and good if there was any real evidence that Walt Disney was actually interested in what became the Magic Kingdom. By all accounts, he wasn't.

HM Spectre

Having said that, Snow White's Scary Adventures in California was recently updated which helps that particular attraction in California, however many of the dark rides out there show their age to the modern attractions of today. Primitive animatronics and 40+ year old effects simply aren't as compelling to today's audience. While I miss the extinct attractions I see a need for these attractions to either be enhanced or replaced.

This is a problem to me as well but I'm all about enhancement over replacement... the classic attractions get so little love over so long a timeframe that the animatronics/effects from decades ago look clunky and sometimes ridiculous compared to modern capabilities. I just wish they were treated with the mentality of "Hey, this classic ride is outdated, let's give it a nice refurb and keep it looking sharp" instead of "Hey, this classic ride is outdated, let's gut it for a meet and greet".

TP2000

Disneyland was full of problems from the very start and Disney did his best to correct the insufficiencies. However, he knew (and publicly admitted) that some flaws in Disneyland would never be fixed. That is the reason why he decided to improve upon his failures in Disneyland and build Disneyworld.

:ROFLOL:

You are either a master troll, or you have been camped out in your mom's basement for so long you have lost touch with reality. Either way, I think it's time to come up for some air.

But, I'll tell you what, I am going to Disneyland this weekend and I will say a prayer for the insufficient "electric, gas, hydraulics, vistas, transportation" at Disneyland, even though no one has any idea what you are talking about.

As for Walt's dream for Magic Kingdom Park, even though he didn't give one thought to that park beyond a Disneyland clone before he died in December, 1966... if Walt's dream was for a Disneyland-style park with over a dozen fewer attractions than Disneyland including several missing E Tickets that Disneyland has, super-wide walkways, and a 20 year old parade, then Walt got his wish!

Somehow though, I doubt that's what Walt would have had in mind. Even if he never gave much thought to Magic Kingdom Park in 1965-66 and was focused on an EPCOT that never got built.

Ignohippo

This is a problem to me as well but I'm all about enhancement over replacement... the classic attractions get so little love over so long a timeframe that the animatronics/effects from decades ago look clunky and sometimes ridiculous compared to modern capabilities. I just wish they were treated with the mentality of "Hey, this classic ride is outdated, let's give it a nice refurb and keep it looking sharp" instead of "Hey, this classic ride is outdated, let's gut it for a meet and greet".

Not everything needs to be "next-gen". Peter Pan still has some of the longest wait times in the parks; Dumbo too.

There's something to be said for doing something and doing it well. You can have one Little Mermaid ride for $100 million or Peter Pan for probably 1/100th of the cost. I'd rather see Disney build 10 rides of Peter Pan quality than 1 Little Mermaid.

There's a time and place for this non-stop game of oneupsmanship that Disney and Orlando are engaged in. Unfortunately though, when you have parks like the ones at WDW that are in desperate need of more quality attractions, they really need to do a better job of picking and choosing the things to spend hundreds of millions on.

Give us simple things like a real ToonTown and a Bug's Life playground. And you don't need to spend $200 million to make it happen!!!!

HM Spectre

Not everything needs to be "next-gen". Peter Pan still has some of the longest wait times in the parks; Dumbo too.

The concepts of "next-gen" vs. refurb are very different to me. I'm talking more about updating animatronics and effects to be more realistic when they're lacking as opposed to putting in stuff like video monitors and smartphone interaction on every ride. Part of the reason that "classic" rides can seem so old is because the animatronics/effects are terribly outdated in comparison to newer technology and badly in need of refreshing. It's the same reason that special effects-driven movies from decades ago age so poorly (stuff like Star Wars excluded)... the story may be fantastic but many look cheesy after seeing the quality we're capable of today. By no means am I saying to change the essence or purpose of a ride by refurbing it, however.

It's pretty easy to update the look/technology of a ride while still keeping the same feel and quality (and adding to the magic/immersion by doing so), it's just a matter of $$$ which is apparently really hard to come by for some of the old staples.

Clever Name

This would all be well and good if there was any real evidence that Walt Disney was actually interested in what became the Magic Kingdom. By all accounts, he wasn't.

I can just hear his brother Roy now, “Ok boys, Walt lost interest in this project long ago so you can build it without the stupid utilidors.” :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom